Back in 40k with a 2k Tau Army

MexicanNinja

So, I finally got back into full swing with 40k and bought a bunch of Tau to make it official.  Here's what I have.

Commander w/missile pod, EWO, drone controller, TL, iridium battlesuit, 2 marker drones

Crisis Suit w/2 flamers, NSJ, 1 shield drone

10 Fire Warrior Strike-Team w/tactical support turret (smart missiles)

5 Fire Warrior Strike-Team w/tactical support turret (smart missiles)

5 Fire Warrior Strike-Team w/tactical support turret (smart missiles)

5 Fire Warrior Strike-Team

5 Fire Warrior Strike-Team

4 Pathfinders w/3 rail rifles, recon drone

6 Pathfinders w/emp grenades

6 Marker Drones

3 Broadsides w/shas'vre, 3 w/twin-linked high-yield missile pod, 1 w/EWO, 2 w/TL, 3 w/seeker missile, 2 shield drones, BKR

Hammerhead Gunship w/twin-linked smart missile system, submunition rounds, sensor spines, disruption pod

Sky Ray Missile Defense Gunship w/twin-linked smart missile system, sensor spines, disruption pod

Optimised Stealth Cadre Formation:
3 Stealth Suits w/shas'vre, homing beacon, fusion blaster and TL
3 Stealth Suits w/shas'vre, homing beacon, fusion blaster and TL
2 Ghostkeels w/cyclic ion raker, twin-linked fusion blaster, one with TL and EWO, one with EWO and VT

BKR

Fortification:
Aegis Defense Line w/Quadgun

• Like 2

I'm assuming you're looking for C&C on things. If not, ignore.

You can carry two of the same weapon now (and it doesn't automatically twin-link them), so the Commander probably wants two Missile Pods for the range. An additional Marker Drone is better than the solo Shield Drone- and since his Drones are 2pts cheaper than the ones in the Drone unit, you may as well shift one from there over to here.

Battlesuits can only shoot two weapons, so three Plasma Rifles is a waste. I'm not sure what your plan for this guy is- which squad is he hanging out with? I don't really see any great choices. He can arrive near the Stealth units, but their role is fairly different from his (and the 2+ armor seems redundant if he's getting 2+ cover from being joined to the unit already.) Shield Drones aren't good, Failsafe Detonator often hurts you more than it helps- I would go with Gun Drones (to enhance his anti-infantry) and Vectored Retrothrusters instead (remember that you can use the Drones' initiative for Hit and Run.) Alternately, you could replace this guy for a Cadre Fireblade to enhance your FW teams.

The big squads of Fire Warriors on foot aren't awful, but they aren't great, either. I would definitely steer towards an Aegis Line because of them. The Missile Pod is probably better than the Smart Missiles in this case, since you don't have a ton of ways to crack open tanks.

Oh, while we're on the subject: Bonding Knife Ritual is a waste of points. It only applies if you're below 25% and you've failed a morale check and you aren't near enough to a board edge that you fell off already and only then if you pass your weak morale check. So for those Pathfinder units, you're paying 5ps so that on the off chance the last guy in the unit is alone and by himself, he has a 50% chance of turning around to get back in the fight. That's not gonna happen very often.

Rail Rifles on Pathfinders are kinda sketch. Not because they're a bad gun, but because they're relatively expensive (on a model that's not cheap to begin with, given how fragile they are) and mix poorly with the PF's main role of supporting other units.

I would probably go with a Homing Beacon on Stealth Suits rather than the Recon Drone on Pathfinders, since that also opens up buying Gun Drones and Markerlight/Target Lock for the Team Leader in the Stealth unit.

Velocity Tracker + Early Warning Override is a great combo for a Riptide or the like, but if you can only pick one, take the EWO on the Broadside- otherwise, the airplanes will come in, shoot you dead, and your skyfire won't matter. If you're really worried about it, you've got the Quad Gun on your Aegis.

Stealth units probably (although not definitively) want a Fusion Blaster. Also, the aforementioned stuff is worth thinking about.

Ghostkeels should upgrade to either Burst Cannons or Fusion Blasters for their secondary gun- the Flamer just doesn't do enough. Stim Injectors are too expensive on them, and you've already got 2+ cover and Holophon defenses. Taking a Positional Relay on one can be useful for outflanking with stuff, and a Target Lock is always handy for larger units. Also consider Early Warning Overrides if you can find points.

Art!  I'm so glad you're coming back to 40k!  We need to get some games in.  There is a weekly league night at Guardian every Wednesday. And there is a tournament this Saturday at Guardian if you want to play.  I have spots open.

The typical points are 1850, at least for most events.  So I would build towards that, with a 150pt sideboard for 2k games.

What types of games do you plan on playing?  ITC?  Eternal War?  Maelstrom?  Depending on that, I think it will affect what you want in your list.  For ITC and Malestrom I'm a little nervous that you lack enough movement and rapid objective grabbers, i.e. riptide, crisis suit, etc.  The optimized stealth helps, but it can't do it all.

• Like 2

Art!  I'm so glad you're coming back to 40k!  We need to get some games in.  There is a weekly league night at Guardian every Wednesday. And there is a tournament this Saturday at Guardian if you want to play.  I have spots open.

The typical points are 1850, at least for most events.  So I would build towards that, with a 150pt sideboard for 2k games.

What types of games do you plan on playing?  ITC?  Eternal War?  Maelstrom?  Depending on that, I think it will affect what you want in your list.  For ITC and Malestrom I'm a little nervous that you lack enough movement and rapid objective grabbers, i.e. riptide, crisis suit, etc.  The optimized stealth helps, but it can't do it all.

Thanks, I'm down in the Springfield area now so game nights won't work for me.  I was wanting to attend this weekend; however, I am working.  I am planning on attending your Northern events, once I get these things painted.  I'm not tournament ready yet.  Heck, this game still feels foreign to me.  I'm still trying to learn all the stuff in my own army nevermind all the crap my opponents have that I know nothing about.  We do have a player who plays a sweet 3K Mechanicus army down here though.  That is one tough army.

We mostly play maelstrom.  At least I think that what I play.  It's the one with the objective cards.  So far the list is doing good.  It's a huge learning curve from my normal assault style armies.  It's fun though.  I don't play enough to want to learn ITC yet.  I will most likey add a riptide at some point and I just get too damned confused with the crisis suits.  I'm really lost when it comes to the amount of options a unit can have.

Might want to consider the Tau Railgun Pods in place of the Aegis+Hammerhead expenditure.  Food for thought.

Yes, I will have some of those at some point.  I already have the models I need to play the listed army so I want to get accustomed with learning how to effectively play my current army.  With that said though, I will be getting the Tidewall Gunfort fortification at some point.  I think those things are flipping sweet.  Ideally, I would like to stick each unit of fire warriors in one.

Well the gun Pods can be bought on their own if that's what you want to use.  The Entire Tidewall Rampart is cool too but it doesn't come with the pieces to make everything else you might want.  It does come with a lot though.

Here are my thoughts on the revised list:

1.  Give the Command and Control Node to the markerlight Commander.  Drop his weapons, give him a Flamer and Onager Gauntlet.  He can defend his Markerdrone units when and if charged plus twin link them effectively by not firing.  Since he wont fire, no need for the extra weapons.  He can VERY effectively tank for the Drones (and look out sir when needed) by giving him the XV9-02 Suit, though it is expensive and you may or may not want to do that.  I generally do but its a style thing with me.

2.  The second Commander with the Shield Generator and all that:  is he necessary for some reason?  he seems a very expensive add on.  i think a couple shield Drones on the Broadsides might serve you better if that was where he was supposed to go.  That would save you a ton of points.  If you're super keen on using that model for something, instead use him as a normal Monat suicide Crisis suit with a Fusion and a TL Fusion blaster.  But as a Commander he is taking up a lot of points and I don't see him doing enough for you to really make it make sense.

3.  I have a lot of experience with Stealth suits.  Just tried the Optimized Stealth Cadre the other day.  My advice?  The Burst Cannon is probably okay but I'd strongly recommend the TL Fusion Blaster on Ghostkeels.  Those suits operate way up front and can tear tanks open with bear hands, but you really dont want them any closer to enemies than you can get away with and having to stand near tanks but not charge them sounds like a bad plan too.  Same range o nthe Fusion blaster as the Burst Cannon.  I'd take the fusion blaster versatility.  Oh and VERY IMPORTANT:  Take the Bonding Knife.  I found out the hard way that the Ghostkeel Drones are a leadership liability in the extreme.  The unit is too expensive and too likely to take drone casualties not to take that item for the unit.  Ugh.

4.  Pathfinders are incredible, but not as markerlight caddies.  They are however excellent outflanking assassins.  My recommendation on their use over many campaigns:  Leave the markerlights to someone else.  Arm them with Rail Rifles and Haywire grenades (EMP).  Outflank them with their drones, who can absorb fire.  their weapons are quite good at smashing an unsuspecting "wing" unit into the ground, and the drones absorb counter fire well enough to allow them to do it again or even end tanks or entire tank Squadrons foolish enough to skirt the perimeter of the battlefield.  Here is a battle report to illustrate this usage:

Linky to battle report

Do yourself a favor when you get the chance: Change the Pathfinders into one of these:

A.  XV-01 Drone Networks from the Mont'Ka book.  You'll need 16 to do it and would likely replace the Pathfinders.  Why?  Pretty accurate Markerlight Sources and is a stand alone Formation of Marker Drones.  That or:

B.  84 Point Fireside Marksman unit (3) with three Sniper Drones.  Why?  Fits your stealth theme but more importantly tougher and highly accurate Drone Controlled BS 5 markerlights; and the Sniper Drones are just nice to have as icing on the cake.  They will last longer than 6 Pathfinders and hit about as much over the course of the game, or better.

Thanks for the great advice LH.  Here's a few answers to your questions:

1) I can't drop the weapons from the first Commander.  I originally assembled him as the 'Coldstar' but then realized I couldn't add sig systems to him.  He's got what he's got for now.

2) I just wanted a solo Commander with some plasma.  The picture in my head wouldn't allow me not to take him.  I just have this great vision of him deep striking in somewhere and running amok with 2 plasma rifles.  Honestly, it just sounds fun!  I understand that the better option would be to just take a lone crisis suit with 2 FB...but again, the vision in my head is the Commander leading the charge.  He's totally going to be running around on his own.

3) I have debated the TL FB on the keels.  In the few games I have used them, they just didn't do it for me.  The weapons are magnetized though so I can test play both options out to find out which one suits me more.  Great catch on the BKR.  I forgot it was an option for them.  I have just been running them solo.   On the plus side though, you reminded me that I need to add the BKR to the broadsides.  Thanks for that.

4) I was using the pathfinders as a ten-man team and realized after three games that they were a waste of points.  Now, I have 10 Pathfinders and don't have a replacement option for them yet.  I do like the rail rifle though!  I also like your outflank idea with them.  I'm going to try that in my next game.  I forgot they could do that.  What drones do you recommend for them?

Oh, and the Tidewall Gunfort is the triple Gunrig fortification option.

Thanks for the great advice LH.  Here's a few answers to your questions:

1) I can't drop the weapons from the first Commander.  I originally assembled him as the 'Coldstar' but then realized I couldn't add sig systems to him.  He's got what he's got for now.

2) I just wanted a solo Commander with some plasma.  The picture in my head wouldn't allow me not to take him.  I just have this great vision of him deep striking in somewhere and running amok with 2 plasma rifles.  Honestly, it just sounds fun!  I understand that the better option would be to just take a lone crisis suit with 2 FB...but again, the vision in my head is the Commander leading the charge.  He's totally going to be running around on his own.

3) I have debated the TL FB on the keels.  In the few games I have used them, they just didn't do it for me.  The weapons are magnetized though so I can test play both options out to find out which one suits me more.  Great catch on the BKR.  I forgot it was an option for them.  I have just been running them solo.   On the plus side though, you reminded me that I need to add the BKR to the broadsides.  Thanks for that.

4) I was using the pathfinders as a ten-man team and realized after three games that they were a waste of points.  Now, I have 10 Pathfinders and don't have a replacement option for them yet.  I do like the rail rifle though!  I also like your outflank idea with them.  I'm going to try that in my next game.  I forgot they could do that.  What drones do you recommend for them?

Oh, and the Tidewall Gunfort is the triple Gunrig fortification option.

To be fair, i am confident that if your suit that is armed never fires a weapon that will be more than good enough for the opponent if you wanted him unarmed.  Clearly you, like me, play movies in your head while you play, so I respect the hell outta that.  I was mostly giving my advice as far as trying to make the army a little heavier, but visions of awesome are never a poor motivation.  Its driven me to try a lot of wierd stuff to good effect.

Yeah in my recent game with the Ghostkeels, I had a grand old time with the Blaster.  I needed it.  Super Heavies and Gargants are a thing.

As for Pathfinders:  Take a look at the Batreport.  In that one I think I had 7 Pathfinders, 3 with Railrifles, the Recon Drone with its Burst Cannon and TWO wounds plus all the Drones because: ablation.  its an expensive unit the way I use it but...  Just watch the video.  =)

Gotcha, there aren't nearly enough super heavies or gargants in my gaming community to worry about.

Just watched the batrep.  I know see your point about the outflanking pathfinders.  They were great at forcing your opponent to redeploy to deal with them.  I was also able to see why you went with three of the drone controllers in the sniper squad.  Unfortunately, all my heavy support slots are taken up.  So, for now, outflanking pathfinders is the way.

Thank for the great insight!

Gotcha, there aren't nearly enough super heavies or gargants in my gaming community to worry about.

Just watched the batrep.  I know see your point about the outflanking pathfinders.  They were great at forcing your opponent to redeploy to deal with them.  I was also able to see why you went with three of the drone controllers in the sniper squad.  Unfortunately, all my heavy support slots are taken up.  So, for now, outflanking pathfinders is the way.

Thank for the great insight!

Well the Gun pods would allow you anther heavy support slot...

I know you're working with whatcha got but just filling your head with ideas.

If you arent dealing with heavy duty models like that then perhaps the TL flamer would be better.  great for overwatch and its no slouch at close range and all your enemies will want to get close range.

Just for the record, Glad we could steal Ninja back to the Dark Side and get him to return to Springfield. I missed gaming with him immensely and am glad he's back and corrupted into 40K again.

That said Ninja, I can bring the Gargantuan Barbed Heirodule anytime you want a piece! My nids are always ready to step up and chomp some o' them tasty squids!

On the other hand, my fledgling Tau army is definitely reaping the rewards from these conversations and playing against you. I'm more of a crisis suit guy, every time I play I just see Robotech cartoons from my childhood playing in my head as my suits jump around and blast tanks to scrap!

Just for the record, Glad we could steal Ninja back to the Dark Side and get him to return to Springfield. I missed gaming with him immensely and am glad he's back and corrupted into 40K again.

That said Ninja, I can bring the Gargantuan Barbed Heirodule anytime you want a piece! My nids are always ready to step up and chomp some o' them tasty squids!

On the other hand, my fledgling Tau army is definitely reaping the rewards from these conversations and playing against you. I'm more of a crisis suit guy, every time I play I just see Robotech cartoons from my childhood playing in my head as my suits jump around and blast tanks to scrap!

I'm down to fight it!  Can I kill it with rockets....wait, my rockets roll 1's to hit!