Warp Shield Generator

WestRider

I wanted something more fitting for a VSG for my DaemonKin, and also something easier to slam together, since I left it kinda late. So I went with this big monolith-type thing:

DSCN1895.JPG

The Knight was there because I was checking the scale against a pic I found through google. Ended up being a bit bigger, but the way I'm using it, it shouldn't really be an issue. I am going to measure the effect from the second tier of the base, tho, because the actual bottom layer is a little too big, I think.

It's currently got a coat of sealant drying on there. I cleaned it up a bit and carved some stonework effects into the base layers. Tomorrow (*checks clock* OK later today) when it's dry, I'm going to touch up a few bigger funky spots with some spackle, glue on a few Chaos Icons (all four gods, because I want to use this with my other Chaos Armies, too), and slap on another coat of sealant, just to be sure I got everything before I spray it.

Also, I just realized that it's 25 Points cheaper than I thought, which gave me room to trim and cram in another couple of Flesh Hounds.

• Like 4

Yeah, I had no intention of using them, one way or another, and they wouldn't really affect LoS. I guess an Opponent could have complained if he'd made it into my DZ and wanted to get up on there or something, but the only guys who got within 12" of it promptly blew it up, so it was never an issue.

That thing was money for me, other than the two Games where I screwed up my screening (in one case caused by Jason's Servo-Skulls), and Drop Melta Units were able to land inside it. Held off a ton of Grav, and significant amounts regular firepower.

• Like 1

Does it even matter if he doesn't use them?

In game mechanics, it matters more if he doesn't use them.

If the opponent lands (deep strike, jump infantry) a unit onto those battlements, they can claim the building for one of their models. Given most of VSG's abilities are friend or foe, it mainly affects when the roll to regenerate the shields is attempted, as this depends on the controlling player. Control of the building also determines who gains VP for destroying the building, when it is destroyed. Buildings are also scoring units (might be wrong on this last one).

Beyond that, it isn't WYSIWYG, which is a issue at most events, even if you've no intention of using the feature that isn't WYSIWYG.

I do think it's a pretty scenery piece.

Honestly, in practice, no one really cares. There were at least half a dozen VSGs there, and none of them completely matched up with the official model. Some had battlements, some didn't. Some had larger or smaller footprints and silhouettes. Some were taller and shorter. No one cared.

I think in part, it's a reaction to GW's lack of model support. There might well be more issue taken with Bastions or Skyshields or whatever that had that kind of spread, since those can purchased from any Game Store for a tenth of what it would cost to hunt up an actual VSG on the second-hand market. But since GW doesn't want to make a Model that tons of people obviously want, I guess we all just kind of went "Well, #^$% you, GW, we're gonna be fabulous!" and went nuts with them.

Also, since there are those ledges around the base, someone could easily call Wobbly Model Syndrome and just say that their Jumper had landed on the thing, but the Model is being placed right next to it because it would fall off.

• Like 2

Yeah, I've noticed that WYSIWYG seems to be rarely enforced in this edition, even within events that specifically require it.

This is a bit different than the normal WYSIWYG. This is count-as. It follows the 'rules' of count-as: It is cool, consistent and clear. The lack of the battlement really doesn't matter.

• Like 2

This is a bit different than the normal WYSIWYG. This is count-as. It follows the 'rules' of count-as: It is cool, consistent and clear. The lack of the battlement really doesn't matter.

Yeah...that's the same thing - a decline in the enforcing of WYSIWYG requirements. It's not any different from modeling a bastion so all the guns are on one side.

Anyway, I've not been playing 40k recently, so 2 cents this one. I just thought I'd point out that it needs battlements to qualify for an event that actually enforces WYSIWYG. Again, I do think it's pretty and I haven't seen them enforcing WYSIWYG at any 40k events.

I also think it wouldn't be too hard to model some scaffolding (or fortified platforms) around the pillar that would look pretty cool, and not even wreck the current paint job (you'd paint them before attaching them). For a really cool look, you could model them to be a chaos star if seen from above.

Yeah...that's the same thing - a decline in the enforcing of WYSIWYG requirements. It's not any different from modeling a bastion so all the guns are on one side.

Anyway, I've not been playing 40k recently, so 2 cents this one. I just thought I'd point out that it needs battlements to qualify for an event that actually enforces WYSIWYG. Again, I do think it's pretty and I haven't seen them enforcing WYSIWYG at any 40k events.

I also think it wouldn't be too hard to model some scaffolding (or fortified platforms) around the pillar that would look pretty cool, and not even wreck the current paint job (you'd paint them before attaching them). For a really cool look, you could model them to be a chaos star if seen from above.

No, it's not the same thing. Modelling all of the guns on one side of the bastion is modeling for advantage, which is neither counts-as or WYSIWYG.

And no, you are confused. WYSIWYG is different from counts-as, although they are related.

Just because I have to define these for you every time we talk about it:

WYSIWYG: What you see is what you get. As a player convention, stock equipment is often not counted (i.e. Tactical marines often only are shown with bolters, not with Bolters, BP and grenades). This convention was supported in earlir editions in the WYSIWYG section.

I.e. A model that you paid points for a bolter on is carrying a bolter. If a model paid for a power axe and is armed with just a bolter, this is not WYSIWYG.

Counts-As: Something counting as something else.

I.e. A big monolith instead of a VSG; Space Wolf models with appropriate wargear instead of Codex: Marines, etc. If he plopped a coaster sized model on the table for the VSG, or something else not meeting the basic rules of counts-as (Cool, Consistent and Clear), then it would not be counts-as.

Proxy: Something being placed on the board for something else with no consideration of Cool, Consistency or Clearness.

I.e. This Plasma gunner is a Lascannon.

Modeling for Advantage: Making changes to your models purely for mechanical, game advantage.

I.e. Modeling all of your CC units to be crawling on the ground so they can get better cover saves or moving all the guns on a model to one side to get a better arc of fire.

In game mechanics, it matters more if he doesn't use them.

If the opponent lands (deep strike, jump infantry) a unit onto those battlements, they can claim the building for one of their models. Given most of VSG's abilities are friend or foe, it mainly affects when the roll to regenerate the shields is attempted, as this depends on the controlling player. Control of the building also determines who gains VP for destroying the building, when it is destroyed. Buildings are also scoring units (might be wrong on this last one).

"If a unit moves onto the battlements of an unclaimed, undestroyed building, they immediately claim that building and it becomes part of that unit’s side until the building is either destroyed or an enemy unit claims it."

So you can only claim unclaimed buildings when entering battlements.  Otherwise have to enter the building, which isn't an option for a VSG.  

However you are correct claimed buildings are scoring.

@west Very cool quick VSG.  Working on a tyranid one myself.  Maybe I'll post it here if its not gak.

• Like 1