question about raven guard symbols

Xavier319

Okay, so on the right shoulder pad of these guys...

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-US/Raven-Guard-Mor-Deythan-Strike-Squad

what is what looks like a lightning bolt symbol? I want to use these guys for Raptors honor guard. I'm going to shave off the shin chpater symbols and replace it with a raptors transfer, and the shoulder wings, and green stuff in the XIX symbol. but what is that other thing on their right shoulder? What does it mean? should i leave it? fill it in? any ideas?

As far as I can tell from the HH books, the lightning bolt is used for Recon Units by the Raven Guard, while the circle with the four marks around it seems to be related to the Crux Terminatus, used to mark Veteran Units, or perhaps occasionally just those that have distinguished themselves in some way, replacing the plain circle that was used by Great Crusade-era Raven Guard to surround the right shoulder pad insignia.

You could either shave the whole thing off, or putty in the lightning bolt and paint/transfer some kind of honour marking in there or something.

• Like 1

Hello there,

The right shoulder pad is a Raven Guard squad marking for "reconnaissance" and has the Legion's numeral below it.

If you wish to be factually accurate for Mor Deythan, keep them.  If you're going to use them as Honor Guard, then the symbol would look more like a throwing star in a banded circle.

Stay safe,

don

• Like 1

Well, I'm using them as Raptors Honor Guard. So by default, they are (like everything in the raptors chapter) a reconnaissance unit. With the background representing a Crux, that seems appropriate. And being a successor chapter, it is not out of reason that they would use the same markings, especially since the raptors were founded in M 31, right after the codex was written.

So, I'm seeing the armor as an honored relic passed down from their parent chapter long ago (as most relics are), would they keep the reconnaissance marking on it to honor their parent chapter? Thoughts? This is a purely fluff question, I want to make sure my reasoning holds water with people who are more familiar with 30k, and other fluff-bunnies.

The only materials I can find concerning the Raptors' chapter markings / iconography for the right shoulder is that they go with a white-colored squad specialty symbol on the right shoulder guard with the operational specialty designated (i.e. Assault, Devastator, etc.).

The Forge World transfers support that, too.

That being said, they are your models and they are Honor Guard so make a backstory. 

Stay safe,

don

My thought is that since Issodon is who he is. his honor guard are used in a support reconnaisance role, not in a bodyguard role. since he prefers tactics over tradition. That and their artificer armor would have been handed down from their parent chapter 10,000 years ago, and lovingly preserved. So they chose to keep the cruz/scout designation on the right shoulder pad. and replace the rest of the markings.