Monitor vs LED TV

Brother Glacius

So my 21" monitor died on my yesterday and I'm in the market for a new one. I want to pick it up today, so that limits my options somewhat. I will most likely just go to my local BestBuy and pick something up. For the money though, I saw some very nice sized TV's that might fit the bill.

When I'm comparing a 27" monitor to a 40" TV for the same price...and both have PC inputs...what am I missing? Why not go for the TV if I have room for it?

I'd tell you to look at the 24" monitor available in the Rogue Trading section but as I recall you live too far south to take advantage of that today.

Regarding TV vs. Monitor, most of the time monitors have better contrast and better refresh rates in ways that are visible to gamers.  YMMV and like high fidelity audio you may not notice the difference.  (I know I save money on sound equipment since I am too deaf to tell the fidelity difference at the higher end.)  Mr. Bigglesworth's link is a good starting point for evaluation but I don't think that in-store setups have any kind of demo that would let you actually see it for yourself before buying.

• Like 1

Mr. Bigglesworth that is a great article

Brother G. I have some experience with this as I use a large TV for one of my monitors as well as I have helped a friend that had issues with his.

One thing to note is that the quality will drastically go down hill if you do not keep the TV at its optimal resolution ratio. This was an issue my friend had as he played a good amount of older games and due to the resolution ratio on those games they would not even display on the monitor he would get a black screen.

I personally love my TV that I use. I picked up a 32 inch Samsung LED TV During a sale. I wall mounted it above my desk and use a HDMI cable for the connection. In its native resolution it has solid quality and I can read web pages and text from up to 20 feet away. the only downside I had was that I was used to my older monitor that could hit much Higher resolution ratios. The biggest impact to the smaller resolutions of the TV for me is to things like programming or data analytics where you want to have as much information on the screen as possible.

There is my 2 cents on the conversation

Amen to the space issue.  

To be honest, depending on what you are seeing for prices on the TVs you may be able to buy a pair of 27" monitors on the cheap (I just picked up 6 with pretty good specs for less than $200 each) and mount them together...

2x 27" is effectively a single 37" monitor if your computer can drive it (and most can).  I'm running multiple monitors at 1920 x 1280 for the space.

Also, instead of going to BestMarkup you might consider hitting Staples or Office Depot for monitors actually.  If you look up monitors and specs on line you can sometimes find deals on the exact model at the office stores well below electronic stores and their consumer markups.

• Like 1

So my 21" monitor died on my yesterday and I'm in the market for a new one. I want to pick it up today, so that limits my options somewhat. I will most likely just go to my local BestBuy and pick something up. For the money though, I saw some very nice sized TV's that might fit the bill.

When I'm comparing a 27" monitor to a 40" TV for the same price...and both have PC inputs...what am I missing? Why not go for the TV if I have room for it?

1) Pixel density.

2) The TV will have muuuuuuuuuuuuch higher input lag. On some TVs it can be in excess of 200ms, compared to 10-40 on monitors.

3) Defects become very noticeable and far more likely, such as back light bleed, or stuck/dead pixels.

4) Speed. It's really hard to find TVs that are able to run at 1080p/120Hz+, typically only found in very specific 4K TVs. On top of that, they generally are only able to display that using HDMI 2.0, which is only found on the newest NVIDIA cards. Things like Displayport or even Dual Link DVI are far more universal on PCs.

What's your budget?

• Like 1

Well I picked up an Asus 27" monitor last night at Best Buy. 5ms response time. Looks great, had to increase all my games to 1920x1080. Came with a DVI to HDMI cable...so no extra purchase needed there. Ran me $230, but it was worth it. The AOC 27" for $180 was super tempting...but the brand recognition I have with ASUS won out. Plus, I would have had to get a HDMI cable for the AOC, and that would have closed the gap on price by about half. My blog has an image of the new monitor.

• Like 1