40k Novels

BradNardone

Hey All,

I want to get into the lore of 40k and space wolves but looking into the novels its a bit overwhelming.... Would someone be able to give me a quick or probably not so quick run down as to how the novels are structured?  From what it looks like there are about 50 different authors who just write about what they want, does this mean there is just a bunch of different 'parallel' stories as to how things were started and how they are progressing, or is there one main story/history and all of these other novels are just different battles along the way?  Thanks in advance!

-Brad

• Like 1

Depends on what you're after. The Horus Heresy books are sequential, but you don't have to necessarily read one to read the others. Most of them stand alone. The "modern" books are sometimes in a series (Eisenhorn trilogy, for example) but many are also stand-alone.

If you want to go the 30k route, I'd suggest: Start with the first 3 books (Horus Rising, False Gods, Galaxy in Flames), then read A Thousand Sons, then read Prospero Burns. The authors are all great (Abnett and McNeil are the Black Library's best, IMO). While the Space Wolves aren't featured much in the first 3 books, it sets the stage of the Heresy and gives you a great feel for how the primarchs and space marines relate to the humans in the Imperium. The other two books tell about the battles between the Thousand Sons and Space Wolves from each sides' perspectives. 

For the "modern" books, I can't recommend the Eisenhorn and Ravenor books enough, but that's all about the Inquisition and how every inquisitor starts as a purist and eventually becomes a radical. 

• Like 1

As Jim mentioned, the opening Heresy trilogy is very well written for the genre, and offers a good look at how the Imperium got to where it is in th 41st Millenium. After the openers they vary in quality and are somewhat less sequential, but tell some interesting stories depending on which factions you want to read about. Most other novels  outside of the Heresy follow their own story, and several good ones end up as trilogies.

I have yet to be disappointed by Abnett. His Gaunt's Ghosts series is a fun look into the trials of a rough and ready Guard regiment. I have yet to try his inquisitor novels, but I hear great things.

The Space Wolves have an Omnibus by William King that I enjoyed quite a bit. Its fairly standard action fare and details the rise of Ragnar Blackmane.

I would also recommend anything from Aaron Dembski-Bowden. The Emperor's Gift is told from the perspective of the Grey Knights, but its events heavily involve the Space Wolves and detail their moral character in contrast with other elements of the Imperium. A great read.

Hello there,

If you want to borrow any of the storylines / books, please let me know:

*  Eisenhorn trilogy

*  Ravenor trilogy

*  entire Gaunt's Ghosts series up until I think Armour of Contempt or the one after that... and I'll get the other ones soon

*  all of the Horus Heresy books to current release in mass market paperback (i.e. last one I have is Deathfire)

*  Dark Angels trilogy (the Caliban series)

*  the Grey Knights trilogy

*  some random 40k stuff... Ultramarines omnibus I think, first of the Eldar trilogy, etc.

Stay safe,

don

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.