Knight Porphyrion

pretre

ACASTUS KNIGHT PORPHYRION for Christmas

Tags : forge world cute mechanicum knight

thumb_99560108172_AcastusKnightPorphyrio

hello everyone !!

From fw fb :

Because we know a lot of folks out there would love to get this guy for Christmas, our casters have been working round the clock to make enough of these that we can start shipping without a pre-order window, so if you raise your order for the big-guy now, we’ll do out absolute best to get it out to you by the 24th.

30k Rules:
https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/resources/PDF/fw_warscrolls/Acastus-Knight-Porpyhrion.pdf

And

The fw page

One of the most heavily armed and armoured of all the Knight chassis in service, the Acastus Knight Porphyrion rivals even the Scout Titans of the Legio Titanicus in terms of size and power. Armed with weapons that can obliterate even the most heavily armoured target, it is truly a force to be reckoned with.

Taller than even the towering Cerastus Knights, the Acastus Knight Porphyrion is a dominating presence on the battlefield. The Knight’s main weapons are a pair of twin-linked Magna Lascannon, devastating weapons an order of magnitude more powerful than even the Sollex pattern Heavy Lascannon of the Mechanicum Taghmata.

Where a Knight Paladin may carry a heavy stubber as a secondary weapon, the Porphyrion is armed with a pair of autocannon which are often replaced with Lascannon when additional anti-armour firepower is necessary. It’s Ironstorm Missile Pod has a substantially larger payload than those found on more common Knights, though in battle-zones where the danger from airborne assault is apparent, this system can be replaced with powerful Helios defence missiles.

Rules for using the Acastus Knight Porphyrion in both Mechanicum Taghmata and Questoris Knights armies in Horus Heresy games can be downloaded from the Download tab on this page.

The Acastus Knight Porphyrion is a complete, multi-part resin kit. It includes several optional secondary weapons.

40k rules incoming !!!
thumb_15555923_356923461335726_127882611

yay !

• Like 2

This thing is pretty bonkers-strong. Not only does it throw out four twin-linked BS5 S10 AP2 pie plates, it's also got several backup weapons as well as AV14 to shrug off almost anything that is hitting it. Wth eight HP and the stronger armor values it is WAY tougher than a normal Knight for only a moderate increase in price; it gets chewed up easily in close combat by other superheavies due to Init 3 and no D weapon, but there are plenty of easy ways around that if we're being honest.

I'm glad there's no 40K rules for this thing, for the time being at least.

• Like 3

This thing is pretty bonkers-strong. Not only does it throw out four twin-linked BS5 S10 AP2 pie plates, it's also got several backup weapons as well as AV14 to shrug off almost anything that is hitting it. Wth eight HP and the stronger armor values it is WAY tougher than a normal Knight for only a moderate increase in price; it gets chewed up easily in close combat by other superheavies due to Init 3 and no D weapon, but there are plenty of easy ways around that if we're being honest.

I'm glad there's no 40K rules for this thing, for the time being at least.

For FW, really doesn't sound that broken. I can't view the PDF right now, so just going with your description. No D melee is a big balance point, as is Initiative 3. 

For FW, really doesn't sound that broken. I can't view the PDF right now, so just going with your description. No D melee is a big balance point, as is Initiative 3. 

People run the Crusader (i.e. double-gun) Knight all the time- in fact, it's one of the most popular variants. Two double pie plates and two Autocannons plus a rocket pod all built in on the base chassis is a pretty devastating amount of firepower, and AV14/13/12 actually makes it a lot harder for most things to damage than a regular Knight- it is, for example, immune to Scatter Lasers from anywhere but its rear arc and can even ignore Autocannons in its front arc, not to mention the two extra HP it comes with.

I think most players would be more than happy to sub out the Crusader for the Porphyrion at this price.

• Like 2

People run the Crusader (i.e. double-gun) Knight all the time- in fact, it's one of the most popular variants. Two double pie plates and two Autocannons plus a rocket pod all built in on the base chassis is a pretty devastating amount of firepower, and AV14/13/12 actually makes it a lot harder for most things to damage than a regular Knight- it is, for example, immune to Scatter Lasers from anywhere but its rear arc and can even ignore Autocannons in its front arc, not to mention the two extra HP it comes with.

I think most players would be more than happy to sub out the Crusader for the Porphyrion at this price.

Defensively, not much better than a land raider. Yeah, the threat of stomps and an invulnerable save against shooting make it slightly more impressive, plus 4 more HP. But worse side and rear armor, plus it can get locked in assault.

Dunno, I think a Baneblade (or variant) would probably be a better investment. Same AV, I think. +1 HP and I think that super heavy ram/tank shock is much more impressive than the stomps.

Okay, finally got to see the PDF. 495pts. 4++ against shooting to one facing. Stand by my earlier post, I'd rather have a baneblade (or variant). BS 5 is kinda iffy, since the main weapons are TL blasts anyway.

4 TL shots S10 ap2 Large blast.

2 autocannons or lascannons.

Plus choice of 2 shots S8 ap2 skyfire+interceptor OR one shot massive blast at S6 ap4 (which is oddly non-barrage).

Points are about right, I think. It has several weak points: Can't deny cover (a pretty glaring weak point, I think), nothing better than ap2 (does matter against vehicles, especially other super heavies).

The Shadowsword (455pts base) parked in 4+ cover would probably give it a run for it's money. And that's really not a great example of a Super heavy (overpriced and lacking). Just basically a long range D weapon on a 9 HP frame with same basic profile. 

Okay, finally got to see the PDF. 495pts. 4++ against shooting to one facing. Stand by my earlier post, I'd rather have a baneblade (or variant). BS 5 is kinda iffy, since the main weapons are TL blasts anyway.

4 TL shots S10 ap2 Large blast.

2 autocannons or lascannons.

Plus choice of 2 shots S8 ap2 skyfire+interceptor OR one shot massive blast at S6 ap4 (which is oddly non-barrage).

Points are about right, I think. It has several weak points: Can't deny cover (a pretty glaring weak point, I think), nothing better than ap2 (does matter against vehicles, especially other super heavies).

The Shadowsword (455pts base) parked in 4+ cover would probably give it a run for it's money. And that's really not a great example of a Super heavy (overpriced and lacking). Just basically a long range D weapon on a 9 HP frame with same basic profile. 

Pax, you're delusional. lol

• Like 1

Acastus Knight Porphyrion: £320 ~ US$400  and about 500 points, with experimental Forge World Rules

Imperial Knight Crusader: US$157   and 425 points + options

The AKP has Night Fighting and can reroll 1's on the armor penetration table, so 17% of the time? Otherwise, similar rules, different Armor, which could be an issue, really, anything that can pop 12+ can usually pop 14 no problem. Still have to deal with the stupid Ion Shield.

I wonder which one will get more play time?

Acastus Knight Porphyrion: £320 ~ US$400  and about 500 points, with experimental Forge World Rules

Imperial Knight Crusader: US$157   and 425 points + options

The AKP has Night Fighting and can reroll 1's on the armor penetration table, so 17% of the time? Otherwise, similar rules, different Armor, which could be an issue, really, anything that can pop 12+ can usually pop 14 no problem. Still have to deal with the stupid Ion Shield.

I wonder which one will get more play time?

When comparing the two Knights I would assume Crusader with a missile pod on top, which is ~460pts? You're paying 35pts more to turn your 2 heavy stubbers and 1 heavy flamer into two Autocannons, plus the improved armor values plus the extra HP.

Occular Augmentics are actually reroll 1s on the vehicle damage table, not armor penetration. It's kinda a weird rule.

The difference between AV12 on the sides and AV13 on the sides can't be understated. There are a lot of S6-7 guns in the game that can hurt a regular Knight, but can't touch a Porphyrion. Of course, that matters more for some armies than others- for someone like DE or Orks, the differences are negligible.

Of course, being that it's a 30K unit not a 40K one none of this is relevant as of yet, and even if it does get released in 40K I don't expect it will make any huge waves; it does a decent job of shooting deathstars down (since it pops T5 models and pierces 2+ armor, the two most relevant qualities, while also essentially ignoring Invisibility and being naturally quite accurate) but doesn't really do anything to stop FMCs, Pink Horrors, Eldar, or a lot of the other stuff out there.

• Like 2

There is nothing this guy can do in 30K that some other unit can't do as well or better. Rule of Cool says this guy should get played. The difference of $243 makes it a tough sell, even though it's a Forge World model. A Warhound Titan costs just a little bit more (money and points wise), and I think it would be a bit better on the table.

It's also a tough sell as a Lord of War choice. You can get almost any of the Primarchs for how much this guy costs (point wise). I think I could squeeze out five extra points for Horus himself. And that will only set me back about $75 to $400.

This guy will get fielded because Rule of Cool > All in 30K, but won't be a "must take" or seen in every list.

Yeah but most of the Primarchs will actually lose a fight to a Knight, especially one with AV14 in front and eight HP. One six on the Stomp table and they're out.

I don't think he's a "must take" or anything, but I think he is significantly better than most of the other Knights. He compares a bit poorly with a Warhound, to be certain, but it's almost impossible to field a Warhound in 30K in the first place.

• Like 2

He's a cool option for 30k mechanicum since he's about the price point of Horus and I think the only primarch that will beat him outright in terms of when they swing is vulkan since he swings at initiative with an s10 hammer. And 30k has far more options to destroy vehicles weather it be a 10 man melta squad or any of the mass haywire options. I personally think 40k should adopt the 25% ruling for lords of war

He's a cool option for 30k mechanicum since he's about the price point of Horus and I think the only primarch that will beat him outright in terms of when they swing is vulkan since he swings at initiative with an s10 hammer. And 30k has far more options to destroy vehicles weather it be a 10 man melta squad or any of the mass haywire options. I personally think 40k should adopt the 25% ruling for lords of war

Those 30k 10-man special weapon teams really make me scoff at any arguements that 40k is more potent than 30k. 10 melta guns in one SM squad arriving via drop pod should be enough to decimate most super heavy options. In 40k, your lucky if you can even field a unit with 4 special weapons...not including combi-weapons. 

Regarding % force arguements for LoWs in 40k, the reality is that the LoWs are really not comparable, so a % system isn't really a solution. GW gives that LoW tag to every former structure point vehicle, and not all deserve that title. I think some of the IG super heavy options are clearly intended as dedicated transports, as they are not equal to a LoW option. Meanwhile, units like the Eldar Revnant titan are mostly broken because they are designed to fucntion on a larger table in a higher point level game, but in normal 40k they should require multiple LoW slots all on their own, just due to how potent they are in the normal point range games on normal sized tables. 

This guy will get fielded because Rule of Cool

That is the main reason most of us field anything 40k. I wouldn't even play 40k if I didn't like how at least the army I field looks (or is going to look when/if I ever finish).

You do realize pax that every single super heavy 40k has that is imperial is included in 30k in some form or another. The 25% works just fine. You wanna take a Minotaur tank go mechanicum and have that nice super heavy as a heavy support you wanna use your gorgon transport go milita and bam dedicated transport point being excluding Xenos the super heavies everyone wants to use in 40k are readily available in 30k and sometimes if you wanna be a cheeky bastard you can get an army of the name blade types if you wanted through a special foc so

And the big difference here also is you don't get drop pods for marines automatic in 30k you gotta build your army around them. Sorry for the high jacking of your thread guys the knight is sexy I want one just for the ability to put it down and have fun with it just like how I want a storm bird too but alas those dreams will never occur

That sounds like the mentality of a quitter!  You live in the PacNW?  There are CSL Plasma Centers all over the place.  Donate plasma in exchange for monetary compensation, you'll be helping people out, and you'll get money to spend on dru....resin.

Here in Rogue they pay something like 70/week, for like 3 hours of your time.  That's less than two months of helping save lives and you can have your stormbird.