LVO 2017 Results

Lists are posted over at TGA--

http://www.tga.community/forums/topic/7221-las-vegas-open-2017-results-lists/

Very interesting turnout here:)

The winning list was SCE running the Wardens of the Realmgate battalion,,not surprised as that is a very cheap and smallish one that includes a Realmgate..I know ive gotten a fair bit of use out of it.

The second place list was a full Ironjawz army..an army faction that is considered to be subpar by many "experts" .

Third place was pretty much a Khorne list with Kairos added in.

Fourth place was a Death list-a variation of the TK chariot rush net list.

Chris,I gotta ask,,,did you get beat by your own Chariot list?????

The remaining 8 spots in the top 12 had 3 Sylvaneth lists an interesting Ethereal Death list, a hybrid Flesh Eaters list,another SCE list and a Bonesplittas/Moonclan list,im missing a couple I think.

Anyhow the top slots in this tournament were pretty much devoid of what is considered around the AoS communities as "filth",,no Ttusk spam,Bonesplitta arrer spam(the list above had very few arrer boyz) and Skaven Mortal wound spam.. Now the reason for this could be that GW added a sportsman rule to this event,,in that in order to place in this event the players had to have a favorite opponent vote.I really like this,,it makes me go hummmm for our OFCC event.

To add to this out of the 73 players entered in the tournament..ONE player won all his games(the guy who took first place) and ONE player lost all their games.Plus all 4 GA factions were represented in the top 12 players,I think this says alot about the balance of the armies in AOS when you take into account all 6 of the matched play scenarios.Even a list considered to be cheese will struggle in at least one of the scenarios.

Cant wait to hear from Steel Angel and the others on how this went for them:)

• Like 1

Sigh no. All I had to do to win was kill off 3 chariots on the objective and I win. so I drop my azyer in then land a unit of rets and a unit of libs down 3 ins from them and still in reckless range. rets go in and kill two of the and puts 3 wounds on the last. Thinking i got this in the bag. so i roll to charge my libs SNAKE EYES Wtf. ok ok no worries i have a reroll so I roll Snake EyEs AGAIN. :wacko: no points scored loose by 2. sad very sad. end up with 17th place out of 75 4 wins 2 loses. so i can live with that.

The Settra list got hosed on turn rolls for turn 4 and 5.  He should have been playing the SCE list for 1st place.  A better general and he was making some genius tactical decisions against the list he was facing.  The list the Setra list lost to had two units of 30 bloodletters supported by three concencrators....yup, that happened, and he had the caster to make them fly.

Theere was the thundertusk/arrer boy list there.  It was struggling against Sylvaneth.

Sylvaneth players were running a lot of free woods which was shutting down good sections of the board.  The only really good counter to those sylvaneth lists are teleporting SCE.

Wiley also spoke with the GW rep and the teleport ability isn't as rules were attended and he's going to bring it up for a possible FAQ.  RI was that you were supposed to have to drop a unit each turn and not hold back until say turn 3-4 (it happened to Wiley, he sat there for 4 turns and then BAM, SCE teleported on all objectives for a major win in a single turn.

• Like 1

Ya there was definitely filth there. Lots of auto loss matchups. Armies that ignore phases, get things for free, roll buckets of rerollable 2s and threes or stack duplicate abilities just aren't fun to play.

Game wise it was one of the worst experiences I've ever had. I spoke to multiple people that felt the same way. Most people weren't prepared for the level of filth that was there. Much of which I hadn't seen before. I guarantee the guy that left just decided to drop.

That being said I am not bashing anyone. Everyone was very pleasent. It was just not the kind of experience I would pay for.

• Like 1

The final 4 lists didnt look like filth though,,was that due to most all the players running cheese didnt get a favorite opponent vote so couldnt qualify?

Either way,this is certainly something ive seen in matched play since it came out,,,yes many games ive played have been very close but thats mainly due to us around the area here arent "try hards" and play a much more fun and casual game.That said,im not suprised to see the min maxed cheese there,,hell I tried Steel Angels SCE Brotherhood list with both my Seraphon and FEC and got wrecked,and his lists isint what I would consider uber hard cheese,,,I certainly could have played it better but I think the end result would be the same.Bottom line is,the way the game is now,if players want to do a full on competative event then yes,there are some select filth lists that will do well while all others need not apply.

In many ways the matched play ruleset kind of goes against what the intent of AoS was in the beggining,that being a narrative battle set up by two players using the miniatures they have on hand.I do believe we can have a fun and casual friendly event without having to come up with pages of fan comp..and that is by not letting the w/d/l records count for any prize levels.Let players rate each games experience and award those points to their opponent,I think this should go a long ways to keeping games at least somewhat close.

I read about instances were players actually apoligized in advance for the cheese they brought and what it was going to do..in my case above,there would be no need to apologize for the "1" they get at games end:)

• Like 1

There was a lot of max min with stacking duplicate abilities. Resulting in re-roll on 2s or 3s, minus six to hit so that you couldn't even hit units, stormcast armies not deploying anything until the bottom of turn 4, savage orc armies that shot off your entire army in two to three turns...etc

• Like 1

The final 4 lists didnt look like filth though,,was that due to most all the players running cheese didnt get a favorite opponent vote so couldnt qualify?

Either way,this is certainly something ive seen in matched play since it came out,,,yes many games ive played have been very close but thats mainly due to us around the area here arent "try hards" and play a much more fun and casual game.That said,im not suprised to see the min maxed cheese there,,hell I tried Steel Angels SCE Brotherhood list with both my Seraphon and FEC and got wrecked,and his lists isint what I would consider uber hard cheese,,,I certainly could have played it better but I think the end result would be the same.Bottom line is,the way the game is now,if players want to do a full on competative event then yes,there are some select filth lists that will do well while all others need not apply.This is one of the reasons I hold off on traveling overnight for gaming anymore..MTG trips often left me drained of energy late on a Sunday night with nothing really to show for it.

In many ways the matched play ruleset kind of goes against what the intent of AoS was in the beggining,that being a narrative battle set up by two players using the miniatures they have on hand.I do believe we can have a fun and casual friendly event without having to come up with pages of fan comp..and that is by not letting the w/d/l records count for any prize levels.

I couldn't agree more ☺️

I still think that the overall stats across the 73 players,looks very good for the game as a whole.But as ive also read that alot of the players were ex 8th edition players with not alot of experience with AoS.Its probably safe to assume  that with the way the point system and ruleset is now for matched play,,this overall trend would certainly start to show more and more cheese lists and fewer casual/hobby players lists,,as per normal for most miniatures games and competative play.

• Like 1

know what funny GA formum has folks say we all had weak list and must be beginners. lol

Ya I thought that was funny too. They didn't know about the favorite opponent requirement, and I don't think they fully grapsed some of the gimmicks in those lists or which scenarios they excelled in.

Frankly they sounded like people I wouldnt want to play.

• Like 1