[Bland Title] Infinity Blog

Andrewc

Now I'm curious.  I've got several of the SW washes, maybe I'll work up a test and compare with the GW washes I have.  I know some about paints, not as much as I'd like.  Always up for learning more.  From what I understand, it's a matter of thinning existing paints, with water or another medium?

I used the old old GW inks when they were available, and they were pretty glossy.

Basically, paint is made of three things: pigment, medium, and vehicle. By messing with the latter two you create washes which can be used for a variety of purposes (shading and tinting being the primary uses for miniatures). Water is one vehicle you can use, and the most commonly used one for acrylics, but it isn't the only one. 

Personally, I tend to just use water unless I'm trying to get a specific effect or need to up my game. To do that, I use a mixture of various matte mediums, mixing mediums, retarders, and thinners to get the desired outcome. It's not particularly hard after some practice, but it is definitely arduous if not done with a specific purpose in mind.

• Like 4

Got in a game against Jon with his Nomads at Glipses last night.  We played the Armory.  I got my ass handed to me, and it was awesome.  He had an intruder sniper and a tsyklon feuerbach locking my link team down, which prevented me from getting to the objective room with them.  He played a very good game, but this one was won in the deployment phase.  We discussed after the fact, and I have some ideas for changing the list, and for how to address this type of situation in the future.  Every game has been a learning experience for me lately.  Next change to play will be at the tournmanent on september 9th.  Very much looking forward to it.

@Raindog I have boxes for you.  If @rudra34 is coming to the tournament, I can pass them off to him if that works for everyone.

Finally, a shot of WIP Rodoks and Samaritan.

IMG_5045.JPG.f2a4ced40387e302b9713f2e23d82080.JPG

• Like 5

Got a lot of work done over the long weekend.  I I have made significant progress on my initial priorities list (which has since been revised, but oh well)

Second Xeodron, Umbra Samaritan, Umbra Legate, Fraacta, Unidron w/sniper, unidron w/spitfire, M-Drone, Ikadron and Imetron.  At this rate I believe that I will have at least paint on every model going into September to Dismember.  I may not get all of them done completely, but I am very close.

Here are a couple of WIP shots.  Very happy with how to the Fraacta is shaping up.

GSdt4Uv.jpg

g7gsTJO.jpg

NQz1itE.jpg

PdCUCoF.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The September to Dismember tournament at Glimpses was a true learning experience for me.  I had the opportunity (or made opportunities) to use new rules and try new things that I had not done before.  I won't write out full reports, but talk about defining moments, learning experiences and other tid bits about each game.

1.  Frontline vs Eriks NCA:  Erik and I had a great back and forth game, that was really dictated by link teams with high ground.  I setup my unidrons on a building, he set up his core link on a building and that really dictated the pace of the game.  I learned that Fraacta can be very effective at taking out a flank when mine walked on out of LOS and killed 3 models.  I finally remembered white noise could help deal with an MSV2 fatherknight sniper.  I used cybermask to move to take out an assault hacker (although it took a lot of hacking to get him off the table.  Finally, I used CC for the first time with my legate.  All in all got some use out of models not previously used (fraacta and legate) and learned how to deal with other models.  I was winning that game until a 32 point intelcom card swung the game in his favor.

2.  Deadly Dance vs Alex with his ISS.  Once again I placed my unidrons on the high ground in the center and really locked him down.  I moved my xeodrons up to my designated quadrant turn 1, taking out a minelayer in the processes.  I also made use of superjump to gain LOF to his HMC Yanhuo, while using the building to block lof from other models.  He moved impetuous models and really took a beating, the blast of my missile launcher killing the unconscious yanhuo before it could be brought back.  McMurrough moved up and killed a xeodron.  I moved Dr. Worm up to diddle his HVT, moved my Samaritan up to take out McMurrough with protheon.  Fully boosted up, he went on a rampage in the backfield.  Alex really took a beating in this game.

3. Show of Force vs Evan:  This was a really fun game, the first two turns were basically long range gun fights.  Evan dropped smoke with his Yuan Yuan and used his MSV sniper to take out my tags.  I failed a lot of armor saves, but that's ok.  I retaliated with my own long range pieces, but the damage had been done. I took too many wounds and spent too many command tokens reforming the link.  We talked about it after the fact, and I was probably a little bit too aggressive withe my tag deployment, especially going second.

Looking forward to October Exploder, the missions are acquisition, Power Pack and the Grid.  The Grid seems tailor made for a haris of Kurgats.  Maybe I'll try and get morats put together for this one.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Wow it's been too long since I've updated. 

Recently I have been working on cleaning up and assembling Morats.  New models completed so far:

• 3 more Daturazi
  • 2 Sogarats
  • 3 Zerats
  • 2 Krakots
  • 3 Kurgats (Raktorak Proxies)
  • Kornak
  • 1 Rasyat (Raktorak conversion)
  • 3 Yaogats

I got a game in a couple of weeks ago against Jordan at Glimpses with them.  We played Acquistion, and it was my first time playing with smoke and impetuous models.  I still have to get the hang of that.  He was playing USARF and sent a Devil Dog team in and slaughtered 7 units throughout the game.  I manged to pull out a minor victory at the end by killing his data tracker off the center objective, and completing a classified on the last order of the game.

I played a game with Aaron on Tuesday.  We played a practice game for week 3 of the league.  I took a very different list than what I'm used to with Onyx.  2 daturazi, 2 krakots, 2 zerat FOs, Dr. Worm and 2 helpers, a Yaogat LT, and 2 Rodok Paramedics.  No long range options other than the Panzerfaust.  His sniper was really working me over, but I remembered that I could get behind a building and lob grenades from safety.  That was a game changer.  I really felt I had to get creative with this game, and it was a blast.  Daturazi provide so many options, and with very little drawback.  Big fan.

I was planning on taking morats to the October ITS at Glimpses, but with only 2 games under my belt, I'm not comfortable taking them to a tournament.  I'll stick with what I know, and keep practicing with Morats for next time.

• Like 2

Thanks Guys!

This sat was a blast for me (in more than one way).  I won't go into too many details, but touch on some interesting moments.

Game 1 was against Daniel's Hassassin's.  My first time playing against Haq and my first taste of Mutts.  Man those guys are BS.  First game was Power Pack.  The split deployment was odd.  We played on my very dense table, and there were not too many fire lanes for my unidron link.  I opted to deploy them opposite of his link to try and take them out with templates.  He got first turn, mutts did their thing, he advanced up the board and felt like he was doing work.  A fiday popped out and shot my samaritan in the back, but my noctifer missile launcher in the same room took revenge with his assault pistol.  I started my first turn with almost all of my orders.  Due to our chitchat and careful play, we only managed to get through two rounds, which was disappointing for both of us.  I ended up with two antennas, for the 5-1 victory.

Game two after lunch was against Nate with his vanilla nomads playing Acquisition, and the unluckiest Kriza in the world.  The game was mostly about him spending too many orders to kill my noctifer and Unidron link, and me spending orders to bring them back up.  Most of his morloks were destroyed first turn by missiles, and I moved up my umbra legate hacker in relative safety to hack and control the right console.  We were both surprised by the dice down call, because we felt we hadn't been playing slowly at all.  Must have been the beer at lunch.  I walked a unidron fo up to the left console to hack and control it, and the game ended.  Had he gotten one more turn, he would have walked his task master datatracker up to the tech coffin for the win, but as it was we didn't have enough time to speed play two more turns.  I don't feel great about this "win", next time we will have a full and complete game.  4-0.

Going into game three I am sure that Alex will be out for revenge for his beating last month.  He is bringing ISS with two (2!) Guijia, Jack and Jill.  We are playing The Grid, and are excited to play this interesting mission.  Some highlights include me killing Jill with only two orders from the noctifer missile launcher.  With that threat out of the way, I can spend some orders moving my umbra legate data tracker up to get into B2B with his Hostile HVT.  All he has to do is not crit with the stun pistol and I'm 4 points up.  What does he do?  Crits with the stun pistol on my way in.  Oh well, next turn.  I had a bunch of orders left that I didn't need to spend, but did and that lead to losing one of my malignos FO's after it was discovered.  Lesson learned.  He used his turn spending orders on Jack to try and take out the missile launcher, and ended up losing a wound for his trouble.  A Kuangshi put my legate into NWI.  Turn two is where the fun begins.  I start off killing the HVT with my legate, losing him to a chain rifle in the process.  I then spend all of my remaining orders FOing and killing antennas.  By the end of the second turn I've killed 5 antennas.  We spend the remainder of the game with Alex trying to kill as much of my stuff as he can, and me trying to collect all 9 antennas for fun.  I end up killing 6 and FOing 2 more, with 1 antenna untouched. 10-0 victory for Onyx, and that pushes me just 1 TP over Raindog for the overall win.  I expect Alex to be gunning for me hard next month, I'll have to be prepared!

Overall a fun event.  These missions were a blast.  I wish I could have gotten all my game rounds in, but I'll be working on it for next time.

I have continued to work on Morats.  I've got Oznat and 4 gakis assembled and primed, and test paint on 1 gaki.

I got in a practice game with Aaron on Sat, 200 points Decapitation.  Morats opted to go first, and came out swinging.

My list was:

logo_602.png Decap
──────────────────────────────────────────────────

orden_regular.png8  orden_irregular.png2  orden_impetuosa.png7
logo_8.pngSOGARAT Lieutenant AP HMG / Pistol, AP CCW. (2 | 56)
logo_11.pngDĀTURAZI Chain Rifle, Grenades, Smoke Grenades / Pistol, AP CCW. (0 | 14)
logo_11.pngDĀTURAZI Chain Rifle, Grenades, Smoke Grenades / Pistol, AP CCW. (0 | 14)
logo_25.pngKRAKOT RENEGADE 2 Chain Rifles, Grenades / Pistol, DA CC Weapon. (0 | 14)
logo_25.pngKRAKOT RENEGADE 2 Chain Rifles, Grenades / Pistol, DA CC Weapon. (0 | 14)
logo_5.pngRASYAT Boarding Shotgun, D-Charges, Eclipse Grenades / Pistol, DA CCW. (0 | 28)
logo_4.pngYAOGAT MULTI Sniper Rifle / Pistol, CCW. (1.5 | 34)
logo_12.pngOZNAT Combi Rifle + Light Smoke Grenade Launcher / Pistol, Shock CCW. (0 | 18)
logo_13.pngGAKI AP CCW. (0 | 4)
logo_13.pngGAKI AP CCW. (0 | 4)

3.5 SWC | 200 Points

Open in Infinity Army

First order of business after impetuous orders was to take out his MSV2 sniper with my sogarat, spending his lt. order.  Next I moved my daturazi data tracker up under the cover of smoke and he hunted down the designated target, slaughtering him with my martial arts and giant ax.  I found a spot where my Rasyat could walk on, safe from the watchful eyes of his bulleteer, the LOF being blocked by a father knight, who was facing the wrong direction.  After that I promptly forgot and blasted the father knight with my sogorat.  Walked the rasyat on, and he died from a shot from the bulleteer.  So much for pre-planning.  Order of operations Andy, order of operations.

He dropped in a Akal and managed to put down my sniper, and sogorat, finishing him with a coup-de-gras.  I spent my second turn hunting down his next lt with another daturazi, and by that time the damage was done.  

Thoughts:   Aaron and I discussed and our deployment was not great this game.  He gambled and it didn't pay off.  My sniper was in a terrible position, and couldn't really see anything worth while, thus negating his role in ARO.

Daturazi continue to be ballers.  That is all.

• Like 3