Parent/Child 'Learn'-ament

pretre

7 minutes ago, deadwing34 said:

Could be fun my son already plays 40k with me but he is also nearly 13 now. But he has never played in a Tournament before. I think teams of 2 would be cool. One parent child team vs. another parent child team.

That's what we were thinking, basically two players for each army.

• Like 2

I very much support this event, despite a lack of kids to attend with. The hobby needs more parental involvment and children themed events. I just love that we have reach a point where we have enough old nerds for this to be an option. Gives me hope for the future.

8 minutes ago, paxmiles said:

I very much support this event, despite a lack of kids to attend with. The hobby needs more parental involvment and children themed events. I just love that we have reach a point where we have enough old nerds for this to be an option. Gives me hope for the future.

I saw a [big bad swear word] ton of kids on the street tonight, pax. I'm sure if you offer them candy, they'll play with you.

Just now, InfestedKerrigan said:

I saw a [big bad swear word] ton of kids on the street tonight, pax. I'm sure if you offer them candy, they'll play with you.

Not that kind of hope. Get your head out of the gutter. Like hope for the future of humanity, and in this case, the future of the next generation of nerds.

14 hours ago, deadwing34 said:

Actually right now I am super excited about this idea, this sounds awesome and would get me out to more tournaments. I think my son would totally be up for this and would be much easier to convince my wife that its "family time" haha! I need to go bond with my son (daughter) here ok...haha!

This is kind of the idea. Okay, if there's at least a few takers I'll try to get off my butt and find a venue and such.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, pretre said:

This is kind of the idea. Okay, if there's at least a few takers I'll try to get off my butt and find a venue and such.

Not sure how much it normally costs to rent a venue, but I did learn that the Washington Country (Oregon) Library has space they rent out for private events. In particular, their are two Hillsboro Libraries (Shute Park and Brookwood) that are near a max station in hillsboro, and despite being out of the way, it is a very nice location with a park and good bathrooms. https://www.wccls.org/libraries/hillsboro or rental details here: https://www.hillsboro-oregon.gov/departments/library/meeting-spaces-and-study-rooms/room-rentals . Definitely a very kid-friendly event space. 

You'd probably want something closer to you, but worth mentioning that Libraries can sometimes be rented for events, and kid friendly events being hosted at a public library seems very logical. 

1 minute ago, pretre said:

Well, that would require me to bring my own tables and terrain, etc. I was thinking of a store.

They said they can provide tables. Still need tops for tables and terrain, but depending on how large scale this was, it might not be a big deal. Plus, you could always have players be responsible for some of the terrain/table components. You know, your army must include 1 piece of generic terrain and a 2' x 4' plank of wood that can be used to widen the table. Lessens the load on the TO, but would depend on how casual you want this to be. 

Could also go with "soda pop hammer" and just use cans for most of the terrain (you'd need good bathrooms....).

1 minute ago, paxmiles said:

They said they can provide tables. Still need tops for tables and terrain, but depending on how large scale this was, it might not be a big deal. Plus, you could always have players be responsible for some of the terrain/table components. You know, your army must include 1 piece of generic terrain and a 2' x 4' plank of wood that can be used to widen the table. Lessens the load on the TO, but would depend on how casual you want this to be. 

Could also go with "soda pop hammer" and just use cans for most of the terrain (you'd need good bathrooms....).

Yeah, I think I'll avoid that and go with a store. :)