Elex

Weird game. All the reviews I found were about 6/10, but the written descriptions were surprisingly very positive. User scores are often higher. Been wanting a new RPG. 

Elex is an Open-world RPG. The graphics are what you'd expect from an MMORPG (like that super hero one called champions), but this is a single player game. The plot very cliche, with limited originality. Very clunky dialog. It's confusing at times. That said, this is exactly the RPG I've been waiting for. Only 6 hours in, but it's good. A real diamond in the rough. 

Hard to explain, but you can really just randomly adventure with no regard to where the NPCs seem to think the game is suppose to go. And unlike the common games, this one is more like an old school RPG in that you can get killed really easily, but you also don't need to use combat as a solution for your problems. And then it's got a Fable-like quality where things you do, affect further gameplay (I'm only 6 hours in, but already I've triggered dialog where I get a "such and such will remember you said that" warning on my screen). And they lots of weapon options, but like a hard-ass GM, you don't start with more than a small handful and they are difficult to find.  

Downside wise, there doesn't seem to be a character creation option. I mean, you have loads of choices in game, but I haven't been able to figure out how to change my appearance, select another gender, or change any background information. Disappointing, but not the end of the world. 

18 hours ago, Duckman said:

Fantasy genre sounds like?  Purchased through Steam or something else?

I'm PS4 at this stage, I bought it on their online store. Not a cheap or short game either. It's a full game (which is rather uncommon these days). 

And no, not really just fantasy genre. It's odd as a genre because they have basically 3 common genres of RPG smushed together. Without getting into spoilers of the plot too much, you can play the entire game using nothing but swords and magic. You can also play the entire using furture tech and psi powers. And you can also play the game with a post-apocalypic/wasteland feel, where your gear is all scrapped together. And all of this exists simotaneously with the setting, with the plot tying it together, more or less. 

In the setting, there are three general factions. You have a fantasy setting faction, a wasteland setting faction, and a sci-fi faction. Your characters doesn't start on any of the factions, but they can choose to join any of them. That said, they don't need to join a faction at all, and joining one is not easy (lots of questing required to join a faction, but all the factions will tolerate you as long as don't join one of the other factions).

It's a very big game, which is why I think it's so unrefined. 

Here's the wikipedia page: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/ELEX 

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/elex 

If you note, metacritic gives it a 58/100 on the PS4, but the critisism aren't really things that invalidate the game. They complain the plot is too thin. They complain it doesn't become good fast enough. They complain that their copy didn't work. And so on and so forth, but they don't thinkk the game is bad, they just don't think it is as good as it could be (which is certainly true, but as far as problems go, that really should yield a higher rating...). 

• 2 months later...

Lol. I burnt out on this one. Been playing other owned games that I've not gotten all the achievements yet (Been doing Dragonage: Inq, and, mass effect andromeda, which are actually very similar games to Elex).

With Elex, I was disappointed in lots of areas, but in hindsight, all my issues are related to problems that arrise after the first 100 hours of gaming. And since most games these days don't even have 100 hours of content, it's kinda petty to complain about it I suppose. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/5/2018 at 8:59 PM, paxmiles said:

Lol. I burnt out on this one. Been playing other owned games that I've not gotten all the achievements yet (Been doing Dragonage: Inq, and, mass effect andromeda, which are actually very similar games to Elex).

With Elex, I was disappointed in lots of areas, but in hindsight, all my issues are related to problems that arrise after the first 100 hours of gaming. And since most games these days don't even have 100 hours of content, it's kinda petty to complain about it I suppose. 

What problems......

• Thanks 1

On March 22, 2018 at 6:26 AM, generalripphook said:

What problems......

Where to begin. Their quests don't really match up with the open world concept - you'll be exploring and then trigger a cinematic that would make more sense if you were at another point in the game. Game mechanics are really poorly explained. Can't kill all NPCs (it was advertised that you could). Many quests can only be completed in a fixed order and way. Maxing out any faction requires completeing the other faction quests so there's no real replay value. Also, you can start quests that you have zero hope of completing due to level inadequacy. Lots of areas of the map feature toxic gas or similar, which prevents exploration. Game adjusts encounters to your level, like Fallout 4 and skyrim, so the point of leveling is dimished. NPCs don't have much in the way of tactics and often can't "find" your character. Difficulty setting just raise damage taken. Everything in the game is really expensive, for in-game money, and it hinders enjoyment. Once you get money, you'll realise the only thing worth buying is more levels, which can be purchased from NPCs....And so on and so forth.

On ‎3‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 1:57 PM, InfestedKerrigan said:

Have you eaten today, pax?

I had eaten before posting. I also wasn't planning to say anything, but when he asked...

1 hour ago, paxmiles said:

I had eaten before posting. I also wasn't planning to say anything, but when he asked...

Your RoC post had me thinking "pax is hungry" then I got here and it was "nope, he's hangry, and was put on a mission!" 

I had to excuse myself last night at a friend's house cuz of being slhangry. It was bad. Real bad.

16 hours ago, InfestedKerrigan said:

Your RoC post had me thinking "pax is hungry" then I got here and it was "nope, he's hangry, and was put on a mission!" 

I had to excuse myself last night at a friend's house cuz of being slhangry. It was bad. Real bad.

Huh, don't recall saying anything wierd (for me) in RoC. Suppose should address it there, don't want to start an RoC debate in another section. 

Regarding Elex, I burnt out on it for the above, and many spoiler related reasons. I did put over 100 hours into it, though, and I did really like it before that, so could just be an issue with having spent too much time on the game. Disappointed in that game, as I had hoped to have a game I could spend 1000+ hours on.

After Elex fell out of favor, I went back to play Dragonage INQ, then Mass Effect Andromeda (both titles I've played before). Now I'm playing Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arrisen (which is a new one for me). Haven't played enough to give it a review yet, but promising so far.

I am running out of PS4 games worth playing. Have been debating getting a PC again. Might go back to WoW. World of Warcraft is one of those games that I remember better than it likely is.