Black Friday... apoc? Interest

Torg

4 minutes ago, Torg said:

Thanks all for the interest- and input in this.  I’m currently working on arrangements with a location/ shop and doing other planning for an “apoc” big themed game.

Pax - I won’t likely be doing this at Guardian Games - so you have your reservation to organize or lend to some other gaming option for a big game. 

-d

Thanks for the heads up. I do wonder if you are doing it also, if I'll be able to gather enough players for another game. Black Friday often has lots of people that can't come due to family reasons.

5 hours ago, Ish said:

Hmm... I don’t know if there’s enough interest in it (and I couldn’t participate myself as I don’t own a large enough force [Yet]) but it might be fun to play an Apocalypse-scale Age of Sigmar game.

For starters, the idea of apocalyspe doesn't require players to own more than a normal army. For 40k, it would be perfectly aceptable to field 2k armies per player, and then just play with teams of players vs teams of players. Apocalypse games should start at about 4k per side, but that's really only 2 players per side fielding 2k armies. Not sure how much AoS you own, but it shouldn't be too hard to get enough players to play an "apocalypse" version of AoS.

The real challenges come up with minor rules quirks. For example, with 4k per side and players making independent 2k armies, are teams allowed to field duplicate special character (1 per player)? Or how do Aura abilities function between players, or with factions that wouldn't normally be able to be allied? And in both AoS and 40k, spells cannot be cast more than once (a few exceptions), do you suspend or alter this rule in apocalypse?

One of the more unbalancing factors in apoc games is that certain factions just work better together. For example, if team 1 (3 players) is space marines, space marines, and space marines, while team 2 is (also three players) is Chaos Marines, imperial guard, and Tyranids...how do you balance the Aura or effects that are faction specific between the players? What about pools of command points? Also, if sides are limited on no-duplicate psychic powers per turn, then having duplicate armies via multiple players is a disadvantage as it will serve to limit their psychic powers per turn, while a more mixed faction force will have greater psychic power options.

And then of course, you could attempt have the sides clearly defined and allow mingling of auras/buffs, like imperium vs chaos, but then what about the other factions? Do you tell those players to go home? Or do you allow them in, but at disadvantage since their auras/buffs won't function with non-allied faction units. 

All Rhetorical. Just things to consider.

Pax - spot on about just needing a normal sized 40k army really for apoc. And yes - you need to consider the rules tweaks.  

On the other side of this- 

The game I’m planning will be held over in Vancouver... and may be limited to 10 players at the most.  Points hasn’t been worked out. 

But the main thrust of this will be a theme and story to the battle.  A bit more fluff than just a massively big battle. 

-d

• Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 10:23 AM, Ish said:

(To clarify, I was trying to say I couldn’t participate in an Apocalypse-sized AoS game. My Ironjawz are still under 1,000 points and my Empire army is still in storage in Michigan.)

Still? Whatever, Then 4x players per side, each with 1k armies, for a total of 4k per side. Apok is mainly about playing with lots of players, with high points being more a byproduct of having lots of players.

And you could always borrow an army. Players with really large armies may also appreciate other players to control sections of their forces just due to time constraints.