Is it OK to ask Noob questions about the rules? Also a Tau question...

JamesBeadle

So I just started reading the BRB today. I've tried starting it a couple of times in the past week, but my headcold would always make my mind drift and I'd realize that I didn't remember the past two paragraphs. I am coming up with some very basic questions regarding how things work that would be best explained in actual play, but I doubt I will get a chance to before classes start again. I don't want to annoy folks with basic questions that could be better answered elsewhere however (I'm just unsure where to go).

My Tau question is on Crisis suit loadouts. Is the Fireknife (Plasma Gun/Missile Pod) still the optimal build for these suits? I have four of them built this way, and one built with a fusion blaster and a flamer. The reason I ask is because I have two more Crisis XV8 suits that are unbilt NIB and I was wondering if I should make two more Fireknives, or if other loadouts would be useful to have access to?

Because the Rules for how Crisis Suits buy weapons have changed, that's no longer optimal. Tho it ain't exactly terrible, either. But you can now buy two of the same weapon without just making it a single Twin-Linked one, so it's more common these days to take double Missile Pod or double Plasma Rifle than one of each.

AP actually just posted a good write-up on Crisis Suits over on 3++.

• Like 1

So I just started reading the BRB today. I've tried starting it a couple of times in the past week, but my headcold would always make my mind drift and I'd realize that I didn't remember the past two paragraphs. I am coming up with some very basic questions regarding how things work that would be best explained in actual play, but I doubt I will get a chance to before classes start again. I don't want to annoy folks with basic questions that could be better answered elsewhere however (I'm just unsure where to go).

My Tau question is on Crisis suit loadouts. Is the Fireknife (Plasma Gun/Missile Pod) still the optimal build for these suits? I have four of them built this way, and one built with a fusion blaster and a flamer. The reason I ask is because I have two more Crisis XV8 suits that are unbilt NIB and I was wondering if I should make two more Fireknives, or if other loadouts would be useful to have access to?

If your still starting to read the BRB, I suggest not worrying about optimal builds. Most 40k problems are solved in actual play, which is why most of the forum debates regarding 40k involve rather convoluted situations.

As for how to build the models, just field them as a proxy, a body with no arms, or as just a base until you find the build that works for you. Optimization only works if it matches your playstyle - anyone can screw up an optimized list/army by just playing it a different way. You need to optimize your army for functioning under your leadership.

-Pax

Best build for me has been TL fusion plus flamer. I add one shield drone to the unit, to protect me from the direction of instant death weapons when I drop. It's a very very flexible loadout . Doesnt matter who I face, those suits are a pain in the rear, and hard to charge because the Wall of Death you get from three flamers is pretty nice.

I second LH.  Those are great multi-tools for deep striking shenanigans.  There's no army that doesn't have a target of opportunity for them, and they aren't very expensive either.

And if there's one thing that's fun to do, its deep striking shinanigans. Lemme tell ya. Though I DID just have a terribad Night Lord game yesterday wherein I mishap'd 5 times. But hey. First time its ever happened so my enthusiasm remains for those shenanigans.

The Shield Drone.  It appears, from the rules, that the shield it generates only protects the drone itself, not the unit it is attached to.  So why would I add such a unit to a group of Firewarriors? Just as a tough ablative soaker? Seems I'd rather have a gun drone instead.

Generally you dont want to add drones to fw unless you want markerlights added.  But the shield drone adds a tough wound if your plans put fire warriors into harms way a lot OR if you havent got as many scoring units as youd like and want to toughen the existing squads a bit.