Is GW qualified to make rules?

busbina

I just can't fathom why they wouldn't want to write tight rules. A good ruleset benefits everyone, even the fluffy bunnies and beer & pretzel guys. Its not like 40k isn't fairly rules-dense already so complexity clearly isn't the issue, its just that the rules seem almost tailor made to drive artificial wedges into the player base based on even small variances in how competitive players are.

Because they don't see a problem.

I just can't fathom why they wouldn't want to write tight rules. A good ruleset benefits everyone, even the fluffy bunnies and beer & pretzel guys. Its not like 40k isn't fairly rules-dense already so complexity clearly isn't the issue, its just that the rules seem almost tailor made to drive artificial wedges into the player base based on even small variances in how competitive players are.

I wouldn't call my armies particularly competitive. They're good sure, but if I went up against any of the big tourney-stomper lists I'd get butchered 9 times out of 10, and yet my lists stomp even slightly more casual players to the point that I've got to dumb down my list building to keep things enjoyable. I'm not some tactical genius, and I'd wager that neither are the people playing the lists that just naturally curbstomp mine, but these massive gulfs in army effectiveness are just built in to the system and that can't be healthy for the game as a whole.

It's actually extremely healthy for the hobby.

1.) GW has no intention ever of creating a system that is fai and balanced. It's bad for business. For proof look at any network news channel. The money is in controversy.

2.) It propagates their IP. This game wouldnt have survived thirty years if it had been a tight system. Sloppy writing leads to a "what's next is better" mentality. You want to keep people interested? Create a personal investment in it, then provide the idea that it could be better.

3.) I guarantee GW knows exactly how well their rules a written. Every. Single. Time. The reminder is their pay days from returning customers.

It's a simple matter of the psychology of dependence. It's an abusive relationship that in which we have individual investment. Keep the idea alive that it "could" be better or those halcyon days of yesterday that were much better. You are chasing the dragon.

Enjoy it for what it is, a personal hobby with rules written to encourage communal discussion, engagement, and perpetuation.

• Like 1

G'dub is just going through a hard time right now. If you knew them like I do you'd see that. Remember when they used to put cool stuff in White Dwarf? Good times. Plus I have all these models, what would I do with them if I played another game? Sure a billion missle suits seems bad now but remember Paladins? Water under the bridge....me and GW ...forever;)

• Like 2

Phil Kelly has been writing rules for the most popular miniatures game in the world for what... 30 years? We may not like some of the decisions he makes but you can't argue with the results.

a bit of an exageration!

Kelly's first (co) authorship was the Necron 'dex in 2002. He did not get a lead authorship until the Tyranids book  ('05) and a solo until the Wolves in '09.

Game I was playing prior to 40k was legos. I had my own rules and the hobby aspect was about the same. Problem was that I couldn't get others to play under my rules. So, for me, 40k is sort of a book of "treaties" regarding how I can use my toys with others and we're mostly on the same page. In this respect, I like GW's rules. While open to interpretation, there is enough to each rule that when we argue, we have only a few schools of thought on how it should work and even a procedure for temporarily agreeing on rules.

I strongly suspect that GW's target audience is people that don't play well with others, but want to....

I am often amazed that my brother and I survived our childhood together. My brother has also made this observation. We narrowly avoided a Cain and Able scenario.

-Pax