Which Nikon - d5200 or??

Torg

I'm looking to step up my dig. cam… currently my camera is just before a dslr - and I am ready to move up.  I have inherited a huge amount of old lenses of various makes as well.  So I have narrowed my search to a non-cannon dslr… mostly because the Nikon dslr's will allow me to utilize older lenses to a degree. (No auto focus or metering for the most part…etc.)  Anyhow, I have spotted a nice set at Costco for the Nikon D5200 which includes a couple lenses and other extras…. all at 999$  My budget is 1000 so… I feel good about it.  Pro's on the d5200 for me is the LCD that articulates making it easier to get odd angled shots of things (minis on tables … and things like that).  

So - ready to drop the $$ but I still like the bigger toys of the d7100 but don't want to drop that bigger price tag for it.  After searching around I have found a few used d7000 (older model of the d7100)… fully manual possibilities along with AF which will allow me to use older lenses a bit more.  But no LCD that will pop out.  --- but all in all a very nice cam.  I have seen these used for around 800-900 with a few extras.

So my question is for those camera users / buffs out there - is the D5200 "good enough" to jump into or if I could get a D7000 for a slightly better price without the LCD worth it?  I am used to older cameras with full manual modes - I like to take control of the shots most of the time.  But I can also get snap-happy on Auto sometimes to get something as well.

-d

Do you have a list of things you plan on using the camera for?  I have a ton of cameras (although I've let the hobby slide recently) and Nikon was my brand of choice.  My first DSLR was a D70 and my DSLR of choice when I actually go out and take pictures anymore is my D700.  Keep in mind that any of the DX lenses will also crop the image of your older non DX format lenses by 1.5 IIRC.  So your 50mm film lens would become a 75mm lens on a DX camera.

More questions:

How important is video to you?  Size?  Are you willing to buy a body without lenses and then hunt down lenses?  Do you want to be able to autofocus old lenses? (critical/nice/whocares?)

well - I do several things.  I take photos of minis and things at events… I take shots of folks and things of family and kids - indoors and out.  I hike and camp and always take the camera for that as well - mostly landscape - some wildlife if they happen to be there.  Sunsets… mountains …lakes …etc.  I also do work at times shooting products for print (catalogs and things).  I don't do work as a "photographer" for portraits or anything like that… when I do work its supplementing catalog work and sometimes web work - but its all products under my tungsten lamps or some other set up.  

My current camera works for all these things to a degree or another - but its mostly auto control unless I cheat it.  I miss the day when I had an older slr which was fully manual… sometimes its nice to grab the nobs and get where I want to be without a deep menu dive.

I have read about the image crop and things when using older lenses - as the lenses are "free" I figured I would test them all out and see what works.  My wife's father passed last fall - and among the many occupations he had…was a photographer in the later 50's and 60's… he kept it as a hobby into the 80's.  So the lenses span that time.  A couple are larger telephoto nikkor (sp) lenses - and many other mid range stuff.  We figured we would see what works - and sell the rest…. depending on what we want to keep for our collection (including the 5-6 old cameras).  

Kind of what I like about the kit from costco on the d5200 (aside from the swivel LCD) is that it comes with 2 lenses - one is so-so normal lens and the other is a larger range one.  I would have those two to lean on if anything.  The old lenses would be bonus.  But I read a bit further and was looking at the d7000 and being more of a PRO end camera allowed for a bit more use out of the older lenses (possibly)… so that got me thinking about going used.  And now I am back to this question of the d5200 kit - or used higher end … or am I missing something??

-d

So from what you describe, and from my own personal preferences I would say that between the 5200 and the 7000 I would go with the 7000.  If you like manual shooting you're gonna be disapointed with something like the 5200.  I avoid any camera that doesn't have a top LCD display, its just too hard to adjust settings any mode.  Also it only has the back thumbwheel thingy (technical term) and doesn't also have one on the front.  That makes adjusting exposure in manual mode an absolute nightmare.  That camera is meant for someone who just wants to use the LCD screen and shoot in sport mode at their kids soccer game and show off that they have one of those fancy cameras that the lenses change out on.

I was actually going to suggest looking for an old D300 used.  Still a very good quality pro model from around 2005.  But really it looks like the 7000 is almost as good as that was.  Didn't realize the D7000 has an internal AF motor in it.  I guess I would have just sold myself on the D7000 if I didn't already have an FX sensor camera in my closet-o-cameras.

For my money, I want something that has a full manual mode with the option of full stops. Most dslrs that I've used default to halves or quarters which is great for bracketing but sorta sucks when your trying to calculate settings in your head quickly. People that shoot a lot can probably do the mental arithmetic or rely on experienced intuition but for the experimenting amateur its a real obstacle. 

I would second Nikon for overall value. Not the best and not the worst. But a good value for what you spend. Reasonably intuitive controls and menus.