Got destroyed by new nids.

busbina

He's not required to start in it but once he joins he's locked in it?  It would say that, I think.  I'd have zero problem with him splitting off later.

Agree here. I think joining as an IC assumes leaving as an IC, as ICs that can't leave units aren't treated as ICs, those are characters or have special rules that specifically cover it (like the techmarine gunner for the TFC).

-Pax

Guest Mr. Bigglesworth

Agree here. I think joining as an IC assumes leaving as an IC, as ICs that can't leave units aren't treated as ICs, those are characters or have special rules that specifically cover it (like the techmarine gunner for the TFC).

-Pax

You know what they say about assuming. He doesn't gain IC or any other attributes of ic, only that he can join.

http://bloodofkittens.com/blog/2014/01/21/tits-tournaments-competitive-tyranid-results/

Tasty posted up his observations about bugs from his three games at TSHFT.

His (and MikhailLenin's) opinion on the flyrants as disappointing was interesting, as it matches my own view but goes against the group-think.  

When TastyTaste mentions a need for more long range shooting it make me wonder if its worth going that route without sacrificing the heavies.

So consider perhaps adding some of the following to a 2-3 mawloc build instead of flying tyrants and tervigons.

Tyrant with venomcannon or strangler + miasma cannon or devourer.  The ability to take two 36" range weapons outside of heavy and in a compulsory slot may be worth it to thin down the opponent a bit.

Multiple 100 point warrior units with barbed strangler 

Tervigon with miasma cannon (if not taken on the tyrant)

Harpies (something MikhailLenin had but Tasty did not)

Hive Guard (not really long range unless onslaughted but not too bad)

Biovores (Tasty already considered these)

I think Biovores are definitely a solid option. Good against most Troops, and a miss can generate enough Spore Mines to be a non-ignorable threat to Vehicles.

I haven't tried Mawlocs yet myself, but I've seen a lot of speculation about actually aiming for something that's likely to cause a Mishap (along with a significant amount of damage, of course, don't just throw them at Land Raiders), because on a 4+ on the Mishap Table, you just go right back into Reserves instead of having to sit around for a Turn to Reburrow. And if you're trying to break up a Castled Opponent, they're unlikely to be able to find anywhere worse to put you on a 2-3 than where you landed anyhow, so only a 1 is really bad on the Mishap Table.

• Like 1

I got to place them 2/3 times. And it comes down to putting the in the middle of no where and getting hit again on turn 4 or putting them next do something that can fight them. I put them next to my plague bearers and plague marines which did like 4 wounds to them, and locked them in combat. I thought it would be better than getting hit again.   

I think Biovores are definitely a solid option. Good against most Troops, and a miss can generate enough Spore Mines to be a non-ignorable threat to Vehicles.

Saw them in a game. Certainly interesting. Notable that spore mines don't explode if you shoot them. Was rather surprised by this. Does mean that you can't kill them all off with 1 shot by having 1 explode the unit, but does make them less threatening. Might have it wrong, just how the two players read it.

-Pax

@Busbina: That's probably the best option if you get to place. Even that's not foolprof, tho, since they've got Hit & Run and I4, so they can be hard to keep locked in.

@Pax: No, they don't explode except when they Charge and get into Close Combat. For a larger Cluster, especially, it can be nice, because it takes more than just a Storm Bolter from some Rhino with nothing better to do to completely neutralize them.