Rough Rider Re-visit

I want rough riders to have:

1.  Lances they can use the first round of combat...period.  Then the lances break of course.

2.  Counter attack

3.  Scout.

4.  Preferred Enemy {non-imperium}

5.  Furious Charge

I've never had a problem with their points.  but if those guys brace for a charge (counter attack) or they charge with Lances (Furious charge) they should seriously debit someones account.

Preferred enemy is their Esprit De Corps at work.  You don't give an expensive horse to just any soldier.

I think that would make em plenty worth their points.

Hopefully no one will tell the Rough Riders that they are riding around on tomorrow's rations.

Even with all those special rules they will still be a very fragile unit.

Agree, I don't think this solves anything.

For rough riders, I'm thinking 7pts each, a 10pt sergeant upgrade, and hunting lances at +3pts each. For durability, GW would be very smart to up the max squad size to 20. Although they'd still die in droves, it would certainly making attaching characters more feasible.

As for the cheapness, I do expect guardsmen to go down in price, probably to 4pts per model, with a 10pt sergeant. So, rough riders start 3pts more per model, but your really just paying 3pts for a speed increase, CCW+LP, and to move them from troops to FA slots. Conscripts, if they remain in the new IG codex, will likely also go down in price, I'm thinking 2pts each, but they'll probably gain a special rule, like WHFB orc animosity or servitor mindlock, which makes the unit mostly useless without an attached character.

It is also possible that GW will expand on the platoon concept, and make rough riders into a cavalry platoon slot, forcing players to buy more models, but also allowing for a more varied force. In example, having a cavalry platoon with a command squad of 5-man "elite" riders, then 1+ squads of more standard rough riders, 5-10 per squad, as present, but with a combined squad rule. I only picture this one happening if GW creates a specific kit for rough riders, as it would mean more sales for them. Personally, this is the preferred route for GW to take. If this were to happen, one could reasonably expect an HQ option for mounts.

-Pax

Hopefully no one will tell the Rough Riders that they are riding around on tomorrow's rations.

Even with all those special rules they will still be a very fragile unit.

...and they cost not a lot.  So i think it works out.  So much speed.  So much plow powah.  Just fun.  but you gotta make em matter a lot when they hit so that people cant not fire at them...  they give you priority fits if they are cool enough.