Help with new Eldar\Dark Eldar.

busbina

I am painting up my Eldar now that my Nurgle list is done. I want to include Dark Eldar, but I dont know much about them, or what works well in practice. I am thinking raiders with trophies for the warlocks, for scoring units and some lances, but I am not too sure.  I also have a squad of swooping hawks, a squad of fire dragons, and two wraithlords. I am wanting to do a Ulthwe list so I am avoiding aspects, wraiths, and going psyker heavy. Any suggestions on where to go from here?

Here is my list so far @ 1000

Farseer w/ witnessing & spear

Farseer 

2 x Warlocks

2 x Wave serpents w/ scatter lasers, shuri-cannon, holo fields

20 Guardians

Wraithknight with wraith cannons

I still have more stuff to nergle-ize, I've been working on it for over a year now. Kinda want to try out something else. I like the idea eldar\dark eldar skimmers, I have an idea or what I want to do, but I am kinda stuck with anti-air. Id love to just hope all the re-rolls to hit would be able to take care of that for me. 

I am painting up my Eldar now that my Nurgle list is done. I want to include Dark Eldar, but I dont know much about them, or what works well in practice. I am thinking raiders with trophies for the warlocks, for scoring units and some lances, but I am not too sure.  I also have a squad of swooping hawks, a squad of fire dragons, and two wraithlords. I am wanting to do a Ulthwe list so I am avoiding aspects, wraiths, and going psyker heavy. Any suggestions on where to go from here?

Here is my list so far @ 1000

Farseer w/ witnessing & spear

Farseer 

2 x Warlocks

2 x Wave serpents w/ scatter lasers, shuri-cannon, holo fields

20 Guardians

Wraithknight with wraith cannons

Well you need something to go into those Wave Serpents.  Dire Avengers and Fire Dragons tend to be popular choices.  Guardians are actually surprisingly terrifying in 12's, because of their rending.  It's really effective and cheaper than say Dire Avengers but becomes bolter Fodder which is why Dire Avengers tend to be more popular.

Dark Eldar can probably handle the anti-tank duties more efficiently than Eldar do.  Eldar have powerful anti-tank means but requires you to put a pretty goodly sum of points at risk to do it a lot of the time.  I have found the Venom with Blasterborn to be highly successful at their jobs.  The venom itself is a terror, and hard to target in round 1 because of Night Shields.  it can deliver its payload of pain pretty convincingly.  Land Raiders happen and its nice to have an answer.  Venoms are assault vehicles so when shooting dont work, grenade the thing.

As troops go for the Dark Eldar my choice to date has been Wracks.  The Haemonculi is cheap also which helps when doing the allies thing.  The Liquefier Gun on Wracks, and the HexRifles which all my Wracks have, are really good weapons, though better in larger numbers.

So Haemonculus Ancient, Blasterborn in venom (add cannons) and a Wrack unit in Venom (add Cannons because yeah..just do it) is a pretty good addition.

Those scatter lasers on the serpents should make them pretty useful at anti-air, just through volume of re-rollable shots. Plus, with the farseers, you'll be re-rolling just about anything you want. For anti-air, my plan has always been where you seem to lean - shoot alot, and reroll misses. Can't say how it works in actual practice, though!

Reasons for the Wraithknight?  Eat points?

I'd suggest a Wraithlord with two Brightlances really.  Much cheaper.

Mostly because I have a nicely painted one and I want to show it off :P. I have a brightlance lord too, but I bought him in a lot of broken pieces, and i've fixed him with walker bits, so he is ugly as sin, and his pose is really derpy. I cant seem to get the glue to release to repose him, despite soaking in purple clean.

Well you need something to go into those Wave Serpents.  Dire Avengers and Fire Dragons tend to be popular choices.  Guardians are actually surprisingly terrifying in 12's, because of their rending.  It's really effective and cheaper than say Dire Avengers but becomes bolter Fodder which is why Dire Avengers tend to be more popular.

Dark Eldar can probably handle the anti-tank duties more efficiently than Eldar do.  Eldar have powerful anti-tank means but requires you to put a pretty goodly sum of points at risk to do it a lot of the time.  I have found the Venom with Blasterborn to be highly successful at their jobs.  The venom itself is a terror, and hard to target in round 1 because of Night Shields.  it can deliver its payload of pain pretty convincingly.  Land Raiders happen and its nice to have an answer.  Venoms are assault vehicles so when shooting dont work, grenade the thing.

As troops go for the Dark Eldar my choice to date has been Wracks.  The Haemonculi is cheap also which helps when doing the allies thing.  The Liquefier Gun on Wracks, and the HexRifles which all my Wracks have, are really good weapons, though better in larger numbers.

So Haemonculus Ancient, Blasterborn in venom (add cannons) and a Wrack unit in Venom (add Cannons because yeah..just do it) is a pretty good addition.

I was planning on running the guards in the serpents with a farseer and a warlock. I like the idea of blaster born. I like the idea of taking wracks in a venom, and putting the Haemonculus in a raider with a hex rifle too. 

So for dark eldar:

Wracks w/venom(w cannon) + nightshield + liquifier

Blaster born w/venom(w cannon) & haywire + nightshield

Warriors w/raider +nightshield + flicker + trophies + splinter racks

Ravager + nightshield + tropies

Haemonculus w/hex

Puts me at 1737, I like this, not too spammy either. I wouldnt feel like a jerk running this.

My wracks make it regularly.  The Raiders are plenty fast enough if thats the plan.  if its not, the hex rifle and Night Shields.  and many many enemy forces will come to you.  Shooting happens at all kinds of ranges.  Liquefier can reach 6"+6"disembark+8 template inches away do its got a decent threat area if someone comes fairly close.

First of all 8" range for a template is a pretty big misnomer. Yes, it's 8", but if you're paying 10 pts (on top of the 20 point "extra body" tax) so you can tag one guy with a str 4 AP D6 template, you're doing it wrong.

Let me rephrase, "your liquifier guns should never be in range." I like liquifiers, but if you put them with wracks, you are literally doubling the cost of the squad so that it can have confused roles. Venoms cannot, absolutely CANNOT operate in the range in which liquifiers are useful without dying. Venoms are a fairly cheap way of delivering haywires where they need to go (but understand that both the venom and the squad are guaranteed to die), and are great long range saturation. This was true in 5th and is doubly true in 6th. If your opponent gets liquified by a 5 man squad in a 2 HP, open-topped vehicle, then they deserve their fate because they either chose it or forgot to stop it. Terrible waste of points against a non-idiot, though. 

Also hex rifles are bad-- especially with only one of them. They are an expensive AP 4 sniper rifle. Sometimes the special rule will come into play, but it will be so rare that it certainly is not worth 15 points. It will not factor into the decision of whether or not your opponent comes to you. Not. Ever.

I love DE to death, and I dearly hope their next book can cope with 6th better. But right now, you've got to take very efficient units to do even okay with them. Start spending points on extras and fun units and you are choosing to lose with them. As sad as it is, it's also unfortunately that simple. If you're okay with that, then have a ball! Nearly everything in that book is fun. But if you're building a semi-competitive list, you must choose very wisely.