So I wound up with some Spider Riders...

To bring it in a little the OP is not looking for a competitive list, he just wants to make it a challenge.

So is 40 spider riders competetive? No, but it sounds like fun and would love to see that many spiders on the board. He can also run 10 wide no problem becuase those things ignore all building and forests. Movement will not be an issue.

Chexmix, I say run that list a few times with your freind and see how it does. If you have issues come back here and maybe we can help tweek it.

Obviously, this is not a competitive list.  Is it a challenge?  I don't think so.  They don't ignore buildings and forests, they are just able to move through and over them.  A smart, or clever, opponent could easily use a building to deny a charge from them by careful unit facing.  As for forests, if they aint steadfast that's a plus as well.  I could come up with at least a dozen, non named-character, single models who have the potential to hold up 40 spiders for a few turns.

I'm not saying the list doesn't look fun, I'm just saying this is more challenging for Chexmix than most his opponents.

Don't get me wrong.  The theme is wonderful.  All I was suggesting was to break down the horde of cav.  Being able to move over buildings and through forests still isn't easy for 40 cav models to do.  You still have to be an 1" away from the building after your move.  Those extra ranks add extra inches to that equation.

I think if you are hell bent on running a horde of spider riders you should cap that at 1. Not that its over-powered or even under-powered its just boring and doesnt really play to goblin strengths. 

I can see a single horde of either goblin cav being good but only when there are at least 3 big bosses and a war boss in there. I would suggest something like a horde of 40, two units of 15, and two units of 5. This will give you redirectors and decent flanking units. Use those extra points for more characters. 

As for special characters in fantasy... Just not really a fan, and Im glad people dont generally play with them. :)

I agree with Fixxer. 

After you try the 2 large units I think you will want to diversify the size of the units to allow you to take on a more diverse set of opponents.  O&G strength is really in diversity and the units you can count on to die spectacularly so that the rest of the army can be successful.

All of the spiders in a few units gets you gains against some armies but not others.

Personally I have no clue why people dont like them, i am fairley new too but with 40k getting crazier and crazier i am expanding my fantasy stuff.

it is mostly only a tournament thing...folks like my primary gaming group, we have never banned/altered/modified Fantasy special characters and never found them bent.

Take with a grain of salt, though...playing around the garage table is not the same thing as a tournament game, which may be the difference. I would not play the Orcs without Gorbad...seriously, when I sit down to build a list, I put in Gorbad, then figure out what I want to do. Used to routinely use Wulfrik for the WoC and still include Galrauch 90% of the time...and run into the DE Crone, various Lizarman characters, Groesus for the Ogres, Khalida, etc every game. And every game is entertaining.

Approach it with fresh eyes, don't put too much weight on either my opinions nor those of received Internet wisdom declaring them broken...figure out how YOU like the game and roll with that.