So I wound up with some Spider Riders...

So I wound up with some Goblin Spider Riders, thanks to a trade with Chappy. 110 Spider Riders, to be exact. Plus some other things, like 2 Arachnaroks, some Skull Pass Night Goblins, and 2 Spear Chukkas.

As I haven't played Fantasy in a couple years I have little knowledge of what I'm doing, lol. I don't want to buy more than a kit or two to make this a playable army.

Lords
Goblin Great Shaman 540
-Talisman of Preservation
Arachnarok Spider
-Catchweb Spidershrine

Heroes
Snagla Grobspit 115

Goblin Shaman 92
-Dispel Scroll, Giant Wolf (Spider)

Goblin Big Boss 96
-Great Weapon, Light Armor, Giant Spider, BSB, 15 points for a Banner

Goblin Big Boss 56
-Great Weapon, Light Armor, Giant Spider

Goblin Big Boss 56
-Great Weapon, Light Armor, Giant Spider

Core
25 Spider Riders 355
-Command

25 Spider Riders 355
-Command

25 Spider Riders 355
-Command

20 Deff Creepas 290
-Command

5 Spider Riders 80

-Musician, Short Bows

5 Spider Riders 80

-Musician, Short Bows

Special
2 Spear Chukkas 70

Rare
2 Goblin Stone Throwers 170

Arachnarok Spider 290

TOTAL: 3,000

This isn't designed to be super competitive, as you can see. Fantasy tournaments in my area died out long ago, along with the remainder of Fantasy players. This will be a fun list to play with my pals over a few beers; nothing more. I just don't want to get tabled  :D

Any suggestions? I really want a third Arachnarok... Is it worth the kit's price tag?

Have to check my book again but I believe you are limited to 2 Arachnarok in a normal game of Fantasy unless you play a grand army size. So I wouldn't bother with a third.

If you wanted to stick to a theme you could take Savage Orcs Big Un's (Start with 20 for fun.) for a hammer and bring a Savage Orc Shaman instead of the lvl 2 goblin shaman. Having access to both lores and a shruken head is very handy and keeps those failed panic checks from making your whole army running away. Goblins have crap for leadership, you will want some orcs and Savages Orcs with the spider riders looks very themeatic.

Have to check my book again but I believe you are limited to 2 Arachnarok in a normal game of Fantasy unless you play a grand army size. So I wouldn't bother with a third.

The Shaman's Arachnarok doesn't count towards the army's Rare duplicate count, since it's a character mount (unless I'm totally missing something), so you should be able to roll with 3 of them. 

Having never played O&G myself, I can't say how strong the triple Arachnarok list is, but it would certainly look really cool on the table, and it goes with your theme. 

Arachnarock is great and the more gobbos I have the more likely I am to run the big guy. On the other hand he is much better off when used on a flan and while he can do some damage he really does not want to hit a big block of RnF in the front unless it is supported by either another spider or giant. While the damage potential is there the lower WS of the spider and crew tend to yield a lower amount of wounds than one would expect they the are standing on the other side of the table from it.

The Shaman's Arachnarok doesn't count towards the army's Rare duplicate count, since it's a character mount (unless I'm totally missing something), so you should be able to roll with 3 of them. 

Having never played O&G myself, I can't say how strong the triple Arachnarok list is, but it would certainly look really cool on the table, and it goes with your theme.

Duh..... Didn't realize the second was a mount. (my reading skills in the morni.g could use some work. So yes, you could bring three. That would be a fast nasty list but I would drop the Stone Throwers if you bring a third. God you could run a pincer with this army easlily.

I think I will get a third Arachnarok then. I do love the idea of the "pincer" formation. What should I drop to pay for it, though? I would really like to keep the stone throwers as they are the primary shooting for my army. I also have 2 more Spear Chukkas that I could throw in.

I thought about including Savage Orcs but I have decided to keep this a pure Forest Goblin army. I also don't want to buy much :P

I personally LOVE the idea of 3 arachnaroks

I'd make the spider rider units into two giant units of 40 spiders. Ten wide.

A spider horde would be so awesome!

This is the best thing that I have ever heard. I can't believe I didn't think of this. There's a beautiful symmetry to the deployment as well - Great Shaman on an Arachmarok in the center, flanked by a horde of spiders on either side, and they are flanked with Arachnaraoks on either side! I will also have some small, 5 spider units with bows to flank with. I'll write up a new list tonight.

Any recommendations on magic items for my Great Shaman? And does anyone have experience with Snagla? i know he gives his unit of Spider Riders the Ambush special rule, but to be honest I'm not to sure what that does!

Chexmix- skip the special characters, almost never will you get to field them outside friendly games that are pre arranged and agreed upon.

It's really hard to say no to a good ward save on the great shaman.

Is try to mix in a pair of baby Lvl 1/2s as well... Especially if you model them in chariots being pulled by spiders.

Here's the updated list:

Lords

Goblin Great Shaman 210

-Talisman of Preservation

Arachnarok Spider 330

-Catchweb Spidershrine

Heroes

Goblin Shaman 130

-Spider Chariot, Dispel Scroll

Goblin Shaman 105

-Spider Chariot

Goblin Big Boss 81
-Great Weapon, Light Armor, Giant Spider, BSB

Goblin Big Boss 54
-Great Weapon, Giant Spider

Core

40 Spider Riders 550

-Command

40 Spider Riders 550

-Command

5 Spider Riders 85

-Short Bows, Musician

5 Spider Riders 85

-Short Bows, Musician

Special

2 Spear Chukkas 70

Rare

2 Stone Throwers 170

Arachnarok Spider 290

Arachnarok Spider 290

TOTAL:3,000

I like this list much more than my initial version. After thinking about it more, I have decided that Snagla doesn't do enough to justify his points cost. Ambushing with a unit of Spider Riders will not have much effect on most battles. I have spent the points from him and his unit towards the third Arachnarok instead. I want to keep the Stone Throwers because I have a cool conversion planned using the net launchers from the Arachnarok sprues. The rule of cool will be king for this army!

Chexmix- skip the special characters, almost never will you get to field them outside friendly games that are pre arranged and agreed upon.

It's really hard to say no to a good ward save on the great shaman.

Is try to mix in a pair of baby Lvl 1/2s as well... Especially if you model them in chariots being pulled by spiders.

Why would I not be able to field a unit that is in the Army Book? Every tournament I've ever played in has had no such restrictions. Special characters open up armies to different builds than otherwise possible - and they encourage variety. I would assume that games without special characters are the ones that need be pre-arranged and agreed upon.

Thanks for the suggestion of Spider chariots! I have been wanting to incorporate more Shamans into the army to take advantage of the Catchweb Spidershrine, but did not want them in my chaff units or my huge blocks. Chariots are a great alternative and also offer good mobility. Plus it's a cool conversion idea!

I have a similar project in the oven. But I wanted infantry units. The spider riders actually look decent when mixed with classic metal forest goblins and cobbled plastic troopers. (no good bits box lacks for bones and feathers) Extra spiders can be employed for chariot duty and unit fillers. 

My thought was to load up on level one shamans and let the miscasts do their worst. I think they will tend to earn their points back even if I lose most of them this way. 

Since you are already proxying chariots you could totally make spider-themed versions of other goblin units. Some of my conversions-in-progress include:

Fanatic has a beehive instead of a ball and chain.

Your arachnarok kits come with a spider themed stone thrower that could easily convert to other warmachines.

Doom diver with butterfly wings. 

Squigs with extra legs and extra eyes. 

Also when his shaman cast Gift of the Spider God (I believe that's what it's called.) that Horde of goblins will be getting poisoned attacks, and I believe the spiders are also effected and get a 5+ poison. Nasty.

This is one of the main reasons why I wanted to run 2 Shamans alongside the Great Shaman. The Catchweb Spidershrine gives all other shamans within 12" +2 to their channeling roll... I like free power dice :P

Chex- your opinión on special characters is also valid, but a significant portion of the community doesn't hold that. Also the OFCC s no SC. So there is that.

Is this rule also applied to the 40K OFCC event? I was planning on taking my Sanguinary Guard army, and I need a special character to make Sanguinary Guard troops. Banning special characters must be a regional thing - I've NEVER met a player or gone to an event that has banned them. Many of my armies are built around them and require them to be legal.

Units of 40 spider riders?  I would suggest bringing them down to units of 15, at max).  Yes, you will be steadfast and yes you will have things to counter charge units who hit your flanks but you still have goblin statlines and goblin leadership isn't that fancy.

I like the idea of 40 cavalry models completely ignoring buildings and forests too much to reduce the unit size. With proper magic support they can do a decent amount of damage.

The hammer for this army is ten goblin big bosses on gigantic spiders. 

I would love to do this, but at $40 per model that's a little too expensive for me.

Does anyone have thoughts on the Spider Banner? 85pts is steep, but improving (or adding) poison chances is pretty good in my book (especially if it stacks with the Little Waaagh! spell).

Is this rule also applied to the 40K OFCC event? I was planning on taking my Sanguinary Guard army, and I need a special character to make Sanguinary Guard troops. Banning special characters must be a regional thing - I've NEVER met a player or gone to an event that has banned them. Many of my armies are built around them and require them to be legal.

No this rule does not apply to 40k OFCC events, special characters are viewed differently in fantasy then in 40k.

That's interesting, but understandable I suppose. Did Teclis ruin it for everybody?

Teclis was and forever will be a pussy!  I have never feared him.  He only did one thing and that was cast lots of spells.

What magic support are you referring to for your spider riders?  Are you fielding them 5 wide or 10 wide?  Best of luck with units of 40 cav!  I think it's going to fail more than it will work.

To bring it in a little the OP is not looking for a competitive list, he just wants to make it a challenge.

So is 40 spider riders competetive? No, but it sounds like fun and would love to see that many spiders on the board. He can also run 10 wide no problem becuase those things ignore all building and forests. Movement will not be an issue.

Chexmix, I say run that list a few times with your freind and see how it does. If you have issues come back here and maybe we can help tweek it.