Question for you Rogue trading vets:)

Threejacks

Im rather new around here and in the miniature bartering scene so I wanted to ask about a batch of old stuff im considering unloading.

I used to be really into Battletech back when it was released(1980 something,heh) So I ended up with a rather hefty collection of the Ral Partha metal models from back then.

Ive got about 55+ painted mechs and tanks( nothing special just average) and another 13 still in the blister packs also another 3 of which are in the original Omni mech box that came with 4 but im missing the legs to one ugh..

Anyhow I checked Ebay and it seems that some of these "old casts" are going for a pretty good price at around 15.00 each while others are in the 6-10.00 range so it seems like I should be able to get around a couple hundred bucks for the bunch by liquidating or is that not even realistic?

And is there any other web stores that deal with these old minis from a game that's not even played anymore?

Thanx:)

Well, as others will probably attest, if you want to take the time and parse it out you will end up making more money.

If you just want to offload it in one go, you will make much less money.

Best advice...clean your table off, put down something like white paper, and start taking pictures.  Then post them up.  eBay prices aren't always a good qualifier, sometimes yes, but it always depends on the demand at that moment.

Also, another miniature trading site is www.bartertown.com.

• Like 2

Do not forget to leave feed back on the trading site if it is an option. For example I have completed successful trades here and then left positive trader refs for them on Bartertown. Keep in mind on Bartertown to check refs. Lowest rating generally ships and pays first. Ive only been burned once but it can and does happen. Always check refs and ALWAYS have one final exchange with your trade partner that clearly spells out the terms ( I am sending you xx Ungors and you are sending me xx the day after the shipping confirmation shows delivered). 

I'd recommend organizing the collection are trying to sell and establishing a minimum-you-will-accept for each model or group of models. Some gamers are willing to haggle indefinitely but prolonged negotiation will often lose you a sale to someone who doesn't have a lot of spare time. I know, for myself I'd much rather there be a cut and dry offer to accept or refuse rather than going round and round. I can say this is certainly true in my case... I'll often pay a bit more or accept a bit less if I have some assurance that the other party isn't going to make the transaction a long term relationship. 

Basically a few options depending on what your actually wanting for the models. 

If you intend to sell the models to buy more models, the best deals are actually going to be found in trades of models for models. 

If you want them sold quickly, but cash isn't the main objective (clean out the garage), ebay or to online liquidators (Pretre does this sometimes, as do others).

If time frame is less important than purchase price, you can try to sell them at a fixed price either here, amazon, or on an ebay store (or buy-it-now auction). You will likely be contacted by people looking to haggle a lower price, but you can still probably sell at the full price if you wait it out. I will note that if contacted on ebay for a lower price, selling it that way can get you banned as this violates ebay policy.

Last choice is post the models without prices and have people make offers. Haggling can be a good method, especially for things not currently in production. This method is the most work.

As an additional note, fully painted models that are very well painted may sell at higher prices, but have a more niche market. Stripped models (bare metal) have the largest market, but will sell for less than well painted models. Models poorly painted with sell for less than stripped models, as buyers may think the paint conceals things or because the photos don't turn out.

-Pax

Hmm I need to consign you at some point.  I have a shed of stuff and only probably want half of it.  Will have to keep that in mind :)

Yep, PM me if you want something taken care of.

It may take me a while, but I get there. Most of my used stuff ends up selling for 40-45% of retail. After commission, it works out to about 30-35% of retail back to you.