monthly event time again! 3/15

I now see why these are consistently referred to as "events" when announced on the boards. That comp is super restrictive.

Fair enough, I don't have a problem with it if that's how ppl game up here. As long as ppl know ahead of time that it's not a tournament.

I'm new around here and ppl in the store keep calling these things tournaments so I'm glad I checked the board. Haha

I now see why these are consistently referred to as "events" when announced on the boards. That comp is super restrictive.

Fair enough, I don't have a problem with it if that's how ppl game up here. As long as ppl know ahead of time that it's not a tournament.

I'm new around here and ppl in the store keep calling these things tournaments so I'm glad I checked the board. Haha

Yeah we would rather win by generalship than list. Don't feel like you are hampered by the comp but we do aim for much more garage so that new players can feel more included. If you want to bring a harder list cuz that is what you have make sure you figure out the skill level of your opponent and don't be afraid to "beat yourself".

The comp tool is a really new thing I'm trying too share. It won't impact your pairings of anything but if you do bring a maxed out list and everybody else hits the goal of 10 ish you stand a possibility of causing negative play experience which is what we want to avoid. This is just a tool I'm starting to try.

"Monstrous Creatures

For every unit containing at least one Monstrous Creature pay 1 credit 

Flying monstrous creatures are (C-1) with each other"

So since this is under the MC category does this mean that a FMC is 1 point for being an MC and then another 1 point for being a FMC. Or does the c-1 count for the MC and then it is culmalitve. 

For example I take a Harpy and a Hive crone;

Harpy - 1 pt MC, 1 pt FMC          = 2 pts

Hive Crone - 1 pt MC, 2 pt FMC  = 3 pts

or

Harpy - 1 pt FMC    = 1 pt

Hive Crone - 2 pt FMC  = 2 pt

"Monstrous Creatures
For every unit containing at least one Monstrous Creature pay 1 credit 
Flying monstrous creatures are (C-1) with each other"

So since this is under the MC category does this mean that a FMC is 1 point for being an MC and then another 1 point for being a FMC. Or does the c-1 count for the MC and then it is culmalitve. 

For example I take a Harpy and a Hive crone;

Harpy - 1 pt MC, 1 pt FMC          = 2 pts
Hive Crone - 1 pt MC, 2 pt FMC  = 3 pts

or

Harpy - 1 pt FMC    = 1 pt
Hive Crone - 2 pt FMC  = 2 pt

I read it as the first one.

At least you don't play daemons mate.  Simply by taking FateWeaver (mandatory in most daemon lists so your own codex doesn't [big bad swear word] you, read warpstorm chart) I am spending 5 pts, 7 if I take any exalted gifts, plus 2 for the exalted gift itself.  So one piece of wargear and a special character uses 9 points...

Doc is extremely biased based on the local meta it's from.

However, I still want to come, play, and have fun with all you guys.  So I'll try to make something work with the models I have with me... Rest won't be brought up until the moving truck gets up here in a couple weeks.

Yeah the fate weaver seems a little over costed in that regards. There are a few issues with certain units that are giving me skeptical reservations on this comp scale however I am going to try to make it work. 

Corey how much are you going to be offended if I show up with 7/10 comp scale on sat?

Yeah don't stress to bad this is a dry run... Cost things as Max it could be by reading and let me know how it works out. Kiros being almost all your points is not far off for nice games add maybe another flying daemon and 1500 pts will still struggle to deal with that given that they are trying to keep close to the points too... Like I said this is a soft dry run bring what you have and is easy just don't show up to crush as winning dies nothing to guarantee prizes. I'm starting to feel Jedi all of a sudden... Let go of your fear, all it will do is lead you to the dark side :).

• Like 1

Yeah the fate weaver seems a little over costed in that regards. There are a few issues with certain units that are giving me skeptical reservations on this comp scale however I am going to try to make it work. 

Corey how much are you going to be offended if I show up with 7/10 comp scale on sat?

That should work fine don't know what the +/- should be 10 made sure that no matter how you looked at the points it would be okay, the flippee do it does can catch you easy. Your lists are threat over load and if they hit with in 3 that seems like good enough for now

Note down reservation type units so that I can work through them on Saturday and we can hash it out real time. When worried about comp costs note down what you would take if the comp was lower... I will never use these four points in the event I'm interested in using them as a guideline to build lists to allow for easier travel and participation.

Ie rather than using nebulous terms I can say we had an average comp rating of 10 last month with the hardest at 7 and softest at 11 according to this system. or something similar.

Kiros being almost all your points is not far off for nice games

Ah but for "nice" for whom good sir?  The reason he is almost mandatory is because without him the game is potentially over if you roll a 2-4 on the warpstorm chart.  Not very fun if I don't get to play because of my dice. Just an example.

As I mentioned I just want to hang out and play, so I'll do my best to conform with the models I have up here.

Also I gave up correcting them on terminology, we have mostly new players that show up, it is structured as a tourney but playing at that level seems like a bad idea most of the time. I prefer more local participants to trying to draw in traveling competitive types. Basically just get the game viewed for wander in types and not scare them off

Ah but for "nice" for whom good sir?  The reason he is almost mandatory is because without him the game is potentially over if you roll a 2-4 on the warpstorm chart.  Not very fun if I don't get to play because of my dice. Just an example.

As I mentioned I just want to hang out and play, so I'll do my best to conform with the models I have up here.

and that is your feeling. You are right that kiros is almost mandatory for a mono god build. Musicians for each of the gods can help mitigate the crazy chart and nids have an arguably worse universal army rule.

I'm not taking away anything there that warp chart can be very very bad on certain rolls. I kinda wish there was a gift that did that rather than a warlord power and it was a relic that way you could chose to use it like the Porta glyph with like a herald. Kiros just includes so much all at once...

Try pointing out exactly what all you would have at the 1500 and post the list alot of the discussion so far has been a couple of model specifics Shae's list came out a little strong but hopefully in the ball park. To be honest I just tossed ten out there as a goal cuz no matter how you flipped the points you weren't stronger than intended. :)

Huh. This must be a 40k thing. A tournament with lots of restrictions, or with a comp system is still a tournament. It's just a tournament that requires you to use a different set of tools than what you might be used to. It presents a uniques set of challenges. It encourages (and in many cases, requires) a different type of army than what you could play in an uncomped tournament. That doesn't make it any less of a tournament, just a different type of tournament. To say otherwise seems strange.

Restrictions are not an all or nothing thing. Restricting to only core 40k models, disallowing forge world, or super heavies, or dataslates are still restrictions.

There is a point where it becomes too much. Where you have so many restrictions its not 40k anymore.

There is a reason all major GTs have very few restrictions. No escalation, stronghold, etc.

However, DTG is not a national event lol.

I'm not criticizing the way you want to run an event. How events are run is for the community to decide. Just engaging in gentlemanly debate :-).

I view this super-restrictive comp as a challenge.

I currently have a list that I feel is strong and comes to 9pts. So 1pt from your target. See you there.

• Like 1

Huh. This must be a 40k thing. A tournament with lots of restrictions, or with a comp system is still a tournament. It's just a tournament that requires you to use a different set of tools than what you might be used to. It presents a uniques set of challenges. It encourages (and in many cases, requires) a different type of army than what you could play in an uncomped tournament. That doesn't make it any less of a tournament, just a different type of tournament. To say otherwise seems strange.

Restrictions are not an all or nothing thing. Restricting to only core 40k models, disallowing forge world, or super heavies, or dataslates are still restrictions.

You say the word tournement anywhere near a 40ker from my experience and you should be covering your jugular. I found that changing the term to event I was able to change the perspective a bit, not noticible to most warhamsters but it has made it easier to describe to others.

Would you agree white? Event instead of tourney just seems to carry a different swagger that gets people to drop their guard a bit and play more for fun than winning.

Also I really appreciate the debate!

You say the word tournement anywhere near a 40ker from my experience and you should be covering your jugular. I found that changing the term to event I was able to change the perspective a bit, not noticible to most warhamsters but it has made it easier to describe to others.

Would you agree white? Event instead of tourney just seems to carry a different swagger that gets people to drop their guard a bit and play more for fun than winning.

Also I really appreciate the debate!

Dunno about the jugular part haha, but I do agree concerning the nomenclature.  The way these things are run with no prize for winning (raffle instead), and the now implimented comp are not what most people think of when it comes to tournaments.  "Event" is an apt word.  Like a league, campaign, or crazy apocolalypse event.  Not really a competetition, but a few fun games.

Having said that, Tournaments are my bag.  I go to a few GTs a year.  But I'll still be attending this thing, if for nothing else than a few games and the challenge of coming up with a list that I think can do well under such strict guidlines.

It isn't that i'm implementing comp so much as using this to better explain how things end up running around here. Tournement lists are really too mean for these parts this is showing me that the system is useful as most lists that are regularly run fall into the 10 ish zone if anything this will actually give you that tournement type challenge as you won't be just steam rolling the other lists that usually show up! Victory system! Shae would be delighted to go hard or go home but he plays nids so that is a limiting factor off the get go but either way I look forward to your feedback and if you feel the goals of the event could change go for it, I welcome different perspectives and what we can do to grow the player base around here and just get the tables used regularly at the store.

Most of the guys around here make it to one maybe two big things and they are more narrative or event based. They are structured but more event than tourney. The main one is the Ofcc which struggles with comp the other one is/was a tourney da Mommas boyz brawl but it was just a handful of us instead of the double digits that have made the trip to portlandia (yes Portland area) for the ofcc.

Easy with your serpent tongue Corey, I just don't want people to think Warhamsters are diaper wearing whinnies. I think it is important to note we are a good mix. We have expert tacticians, power list makers, super friendly players, tourney runners, super painters, and awesome game ambassadors. We are the best at our best. "The most dangerous people are those that know they don't need to be."

• Like 1

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.