Playing 8th at OFCC - your options

evil_bryan

46 minutes ago, pretre said:

Gotcha. I missed that part.

Yeah I realized how misleading my post could be considering there's no connectivity between your quote and my reply after I posted it. 

But yeah, the suggestion was made, and my initial impression is it's a bad idea, but that's based on nothing but a hunch at this point.

1 hour ago, InfestedKerrigan said:

I'm pretty sure it was the suggestion that underdog be incorporated that largely drives the motivation in this direct instance, but an overall curiosity does exist.

And I would slap any one that brought a specific min max power level list, this is ofcc I made the suggestion based on a trust. I was thinking just take your 7th ed list calculate the power level and play that. Under dog gets a command point per x difference in power levels...

Being able to ignore morale allot could be a nice equalizer but the more I actually see the rules there is a definite sweet spot for command points they are not true equalizers 

• Like 1

Well that's what I'm saying, I already run my DE that way because that's what gets me results. 

It's single detachment, no allies, and I run it more like Noah's Arc than a spam list. But almost every unit is minimum squad size. 

If someone wants to try power level, I'm more than happy to experiment, but I don't want to awkwardly find out my list as is coincidentally kinda gross in "power level". 

Anyway, none of this is particularly meaningful until I actually tally it up and post it on here (not the specifics, mods). I hope they at least front load the power level of units and taper off the cost as squads get bigger, rather than have it rise proportionally. That would help keep  MSU in some check, but I haven't looked closely enough to notice those trends. 

• Like 1

Okay the 8th edition version of my 7th edition list has a power level of 101.

Perusing the DE a bit more and trying to pick out trends I found units mostly increase in power level proportionally to squad size. Some units with more or less uniform equipment like incubi, mandrakes, and hellions pay essentially a power level 1 tax up front, but then it comes in incremental amounts.

My troops squads pay the same amount for the first 5 models as they do the next 5, but then the power level costs for successive groups get smaller and smaller.

Units with a high degree of customization and specialization like scourges and and trueborn pay a steeper up front cost but then scale proportionally from there.