Jodorowsky's Dune

jollyork

re-watched that extended edition of that 1984 film. Just horrible. They hop from partially realized scene to the next without fully completing anything. So many cut sections of the book. then we get those sound weapons which shun the crysknife in favor of a ranged fremen fighting style....Do I go on?

Visually, they did an amazing job with the film. Beyond that, it's really, really horrible.

I suppose in relation to 40k, the extended version of the 1984 film does about as good a job with their plot as 40k does with their rules: Both are good, but lack completeness.

I saw Jodorowsky's Dune last night at the Fox 10 in downtown Portland. It was fantastic. Jodorowsky is charismatic, intelligent, and animated. The story the documentary tells is fascinating. I found it inspirational in that the message is to pursue your art as you see it at any cost and with no compromise.

I saw Jodorowsky present El Topo about 20 years ago and do a Q&A afterwards. He looked like a terrifying Rasputin, large, hairy, and possibly insane. In this movie, he is clean shaven, bright eyed, and warm. Really not what i expected.

I would recommend this film to anyone that loves the art of movie making, doing art for the sake of art, or just loves fascinating characters and stories. I walked out of the theater satisfied and with a huge smile on my face.