Where to learn to play 40K

K_DUB

Howdy All,

I am new to playing 40K but not new to the painting aspect of this game. I was wondering if I could get some recommendations on where to learn to play 40K?

I have an army (Ultramarines), I have watched many batreps (so I am not completely unfamiliar with the game) but I need somewhere that I can play against players that dont mind teaching the game. 

Thoughts?

(I am in outer East PDX if that matters).

Also, Tuesday night Ordo game nights (look at the game night thread, and what is WoW for location) there's lots of people who game and likely to show you a learning game. First night's free, then you can pay $5 or become a champion which lowers it to $2.

But yeah, just a matter of coordinating someone to play. The boards work well for that :biggrin:

Welcome aboard!

I would recommend the game nights at WoW on Tuesdays as ive learned a lot from playing with the group there and theres always at least a few 40k players there every week:)

As for out in your area have you checked out Nexus Games in Gresham? they have an active 40k group that runs three nights a week I think and they do league play every Saturday I think.

For learning games, make sure you talk to people ahead of time. Some players are more intolerant to new players than others. Some just don't enjoy weaker battles, while others dislike the amount of time required to play even the shortest game with a new player.

I did a 500pt game with a friend recently. They hadn't played 40k before. It was...testing. We spent 4 hours playing a single 500pt game. My friend kept playing like if they didn't win, they'd die, so each turn required far too much thinking and asking of questions. I even made a point of tailoring the lists so they didn't need to learn too many additional rules. Our game reminded me of chess more than 40k normally does.

As for the GG league, a note that it's in the 21 or over section of the store. The GG staff can set up tables in the non-21+ area, but they won't unless you request it in advance. I've certainly been to the GG league night where younger players were turned away [from the league] because they didn't have tables in areas that they could be in.