Looking for music recommendations

Talapas

Wow, this is a tougher question that I thought!

Well, Dio wasn’t really a power metal band, but he heavily influenced the genre, so you would probably do well checking it stuff like Helloween (Walls of Jerico, Keepers of the Seven Keys 1 & 2) or Blind Guardian (I would stick pre-Night at the Opera personally… definitely check out Somewhere Far Beyond / Battalions of Fear / Follow the Blind).

If you’re looking for more traditional Heavy Metal stuff, Judas Priest and Iron Maiden are always classics. Maybe Manowar, if you’re fine with stuff being over the top, heh.

Also recommended checking out the stuff Ronni James Dio outside of “Dio.” Rainbow’s Rising is great, as are all of this Black Sabbath albums he sang on (Mob Rules, Heaven and Hell, Dehumanizer). If you like his slower doomy Sabbath stuff, you might check out bands like Candlemass (Nightfall, Ancient Dreams, Tales of Creation), or Solitude Aeturnus. Solitude Aeturnus actually did an amaaaaazing cover of the song “Heaven and Hell” (Dio era Sabbath song), and their singer Rob Lowe sang on a few newer Candlemass albums as well, so a little bit of crossover.

• Like 2

Man, I listened  to The Last In Line over and over in high school.

What is it you like about Dio?  If it's  his voice, that will be hard to replicate.  The guitars and evocative lyrics are part and parcel of modern prog metal.  Some of my favorites:

Ray Alder used to sing for Fates Warning and his band Redemption is great.

Kamelot might also scratch that itch:

Symphony X.  Michael Romeo is probably the best metal guitarist in the world right now.

• Like 1