newb CSM question

So deamon weapons...is the only way to get one is to get the chaos artifact weapons? So if using the CSM book, that means the mace or the axe. Is that correct?

Some of the special characters have them too. The supplement books: black legion and Crimson Slaughter also feature more daemon weapons.

Why did they restrict them so much? Seems pretty lame.

Funny, a lot of players think daemon weapons are lacking because you risk not getting to swing in assault, with self-wounding being more of an afterthought.

They no longer make you completely unable to swing. On a 1, you get no bonus Attacks, take a Wound, and fight at WS1, but you do still get to try to swing.

There are also a bunch more special Chaos Weapons, they just aren't specifically Daemon Weapons. The Burning Brand, The Hand of Darkness, The Eye of Night, The Blade of the Relentless, most of the Special Characters have something.

They no longer make you completely unable to swing. On a 1, you get no bonus Attacks, take a Wound, and fight at WS1, but you do still get to try to swing.

Huh...missed that bit.

Got the book out, yeah, looks like the only daemon weapons are on Typhus, Abaddon, the black mace, and the burning blade - at least in the main CSM book.

Why would you want a Quicksilver Sword for a DP? If Init 8 isn't enough, Init 9 probably isn't gonna change that any, so Black Mace and Axe of Fury are pretty much strictly better.

I also don't rate Hand of Darkness much. It's a lot of points to pay in order to miss once. I mean, yes, it will kill a Wraithknight or Riptide or tank, but so will a Power Fist.

Quicksilver blade is the first daemon weapon with slaanesh in mind, possibly the first weapon option in that codex. Makes a CSM lord initiative 7, swinging before DE wyches.

I'm not sure what you think the "combo" between Hand of Darkness and Combat Familiar. The Familiar specifies the profile it makes its attacks with, which does not benefit from the single special attack that Hand of Darkness allows you to make.

I don't hate the Quicksilver Blade- I wish it had been AP2, but it's at least reasonable as-is, but I find the Init bonus to be mostly wasted on Slaanesh guys. I6 already swings ahead of most things you are likely to fight in the game- Wyches can be hit with Bolters and templates, which CSM do not lack for, and it's not as though their return attacks were particularly dangerous in the first place. I guess it puts you ahead of... the Swarmlord? Not that you would really stand any chance against him at that point anyways, but...

On a non-Slaanesh character it has a lot more value because it's a useable Daemon Weapon that lets you swing before other Captain-level HQs. Now, mind you, you probably won't win fights with them due to their access to 2+ armor, but it does at least have a useful advantage. Sadly, the Blinding Axe is almost always gonna be better thanks to that +2Str and AP2.