Jumping Back In

Hey guys, I haven't really played or kept up on Warhammer since about midway through 7th edition. I'm looking to jump back in and I'm wondering what sort of major things I need to know to get caught up. Specifically, I've got a sizable Orcs and Goblins army that I'd like to continue to use (and build from).

For example, I used to like a base unit size for Orcs at 30 and Goblins at 40. Is this still viable, or are those small these days?

Thanks for any input!

Not an expert nor an O+G player, but 30 orcs and 40-50 goblins is a fine unit size. You'll get some use out of the 8th-ed Horde formation, especially with night goblins.

In general, things are more mobile and charge farther (but randomly), forests restrict your movement less, close combat is full of more carnage (but a little less running away). I only played about a year of 7th, and I like 8th :)

I like Night Goblins at 35 with HW Shields and Nets, SB and M.

Goblin troops are pants and ugly, polyester, bell-bottom, high-waters at that.

Double Choppa Big-Uns are good at 30 -6 wide, 5 deep. 

If you are in P-town, drop in to Game Night. You are more than welcome to hang out, play, and talk WHFB, in fact, you are invited……. :cool:

I like Goblins and Orcs

(Honestly its cooler that way)

Goblins motto "cheap and deep" still applies, maybe more so now than evet. 40-50 is perfect.

Orcs motto "boyz before toys" is still awesome advice despite its cliche status. I personally find 30 with extra choppa or shields the way to go.

Fanatics are the bomb.

Mangler squigs are double awesome.

The doom diver is heinously.good.

There are some real hammer units now too.

Savage orc big uns hordes, black orc hordes, pig bus, etc. Really its a diverse book so you have a lot of options to use as hammers.

Despite what the interweb will tell you dual giants are so good for their price.

Excellent. Its a relief to hear I won't have to change much of how I constructed my army. I used to go two units of 25-30 Orcs (depending on Characters), one of which was usually Big 'Uns, a large block of 35-40 Night Goblins with Fanatics, then a smaller night goblin unit that existed only to transport more fanatics. Any formation advice? I used to go 6x5 with Orcs and 7x5 with Night Goblins.

I could easily answer this by buying the book, but are Squig units still around? And Pump Wagons?

Excellent. Its a relief to hear I won't have to change much of how I constructed my army. I used to go two units of 25-30 Orcs (depending on Characters), one of which was usually Big 'Uns, a large block of 35-40 Night Goblins with Fanatics, then a smaller night goblin unit that existed only to transport more fanatics. Any formation advice? I used to go 6x5 with Orcs and 7x5 with Night Goblins.

I could easily answer this by buying the book, but are Squig units still around? And Pump Wagons?

Yes, Squig units and Pump Wagons are still here and they are both good for what they bring.

I normaly go with a 5x8 bus of night gobbos with board & sword and nets as an anvil. 10 NG are not going to hurt much and neither are more so getting the rank bonuses and stubborn are more important.

Otherwise I would just throw in some Chaff and a Mangler and see how it feels for you.

Edit. Doom Diver, try one out. One of if not the best Warmachine in the game when it doesn't misfire. The other warmachines are fine but the DD's ability to correct its scatter is gold.