dalmer actually played a game of 40k!!!

dalmer

Hello there,

Topic title says it all.  I actually played a game of 40k this evening at the house.

My son used 1250 pts of his Space Wolves-based chapter and a work buddy used 1250 pts of Black Templars.  I was the bad guy so played 2500 pts of Tyranids.

None of us knew what we were doing but we had fun.  I'm pretty sure I'll have a bajillion rules questions, most of which have to do with assaults.  Assaults seem either very complicated or I'm very dumb.  Or maybe both.

Anyhow, I actually played at the house.  Thus, I'm one step closer to hopefully playing at Dark Tower Games soon.

Stay safe and hope everyone is well,

don

• Like 4

Hello there,

Thanks so much for the support fellas, it means a lot.  Replies follow:

1.  Tyranids seemed logical, as I personally don't mind "losing" as long as the galactic menace known as Hive Fleet Nomnom is decimated... ha ha ha.  I have a lot of bugs, too so am trying to figure out a way to get some movement trays modified so I can stick the hordes o' bugs that are troop selections on them for easier pick-up and transport from shelves to table.  I was fielding full units of 30 in most cases so need to have a quick way to pull down tons of stuff off the shelf.  I might be off but it seems like the MC rules are a lot different than in 3rd edition, so I really need to read up on them.  Carnifexes seemed to die a lot easier than I though they would so maybe I was doing it "wrong."  heh

2.  Yeah both my son and my buddy were very patient, as it was their first game as well and we just got pizzas, turned on some music and had fun.  Although I'm seriously wondering if the game board we have in the "Dork Den" should be reduced from its current 3x3 Realm of Battle game board tiles to a more "normal" 3x2 set up.  Your thoughts are appreciated.  We like the 3x3 because it just seems more awesome, but moving around a 3x2 would probably be easier for the players.

3.  Assault question:  I infiltrated a full unit of genestealers and a broodlord 18" away from units in plain sight.  Their deployment allowed this, much to their horror.  So on turn 1 I moved 6", then ran in the shooting phase for an additional 6" (dice gods smiled upon me) and then assaulted 2d6" and made it.  Did we do that right?

4.  Assuming we did (3) correctly, here's the real question about a convoluted assault.  The marine players had a group of Thunderwolf Cavalry to the left, a unit of assault marines in the center and a dreadnought to the right.  For simplicity, I'll just use directions.  All were kinda sorta close to each other, if that helps the visualization.  On the genestealers' charge, I could make it into base-to-base contact with all three enemy units.  So, figuring that Hive Fleet Nomnom would just wanna feed on the biomass I just charged all three.  Is that legal?  I understand now in hindsight that the 'stealers cannot conceivably hurt the dreadnought due to their strength not being high enough to even glance armor value 12 (since they can't get behind a walker per the rules) but for cinematic purposes I just charged like I figured that they would.

5.  Assuming we did (3) and (4) correctly, two of the close combats ended ridiculously quickly.  The calvary and assault marines fell due to the genestealers' initiative and had some poor rolls in addition to me giving the 'stealers rending claws and some 6s were rolled on the wound die.  So now I have a TON of 'stealers in a conga line with only a dreadnought engaged to the right.  Question:  since I "won" two assaults would the 'stealers get a consolidation move or since they're stuck in combat with the dread are they to remain in place?

6.  Depending upon the answer to question (5), if I am able to consolidate there was a tank nearby (assaulting vehicles always uses rear armor value per the rules so I reckon I could hurt it) and a hapless band o' scouts in a building above us.  Since I'm still stuck in combat with the dread, which I cannot hurt, can I elect to stay in the combat with the dread and consolidate towards the other targets and assault them, too or do I have to pile in on the dread and the only way I can get out is if I voluntarily flee from the dread?

7.  I am dying to play with you folks, too.  So hopefully now that my schedule is ironing itself out I'll be able to play down at Dark Tower Games on Tuesday nights or (most likely) on Saturdays.  I've got my son's schedule to prioritize since he's only 13 and cannot legally drive yet and obviously there's work but I'm hoping he and I can do some combi-action with folks so he and I play as a team and learn some rules and have some fun.

8.  Pictures are hopefully attached of the board, although my computer skills are lacking.  If you don't see pictures then it's a PICNIC error (Problem In Chair, Not In Computer).

9.  Intrizic, I'm always down to play if you wanna come here and game.  My work schedule is usually 5 on / 4 off / 5 on / 4 off / 5 on  / 5 off so I have plenty of time.  We can just schedule days in advance and make a go of it, eh?  If I'm off work then my schedule is:  son; chores; lift / workout; paint; game; whatever.

Hello there,

Thanks so much for the support fellas, it means a lot.  Replies follow:

1.  Tyranids seemed logical, as I personally don't mind "losing" as long as the galactic menace known as Hive Fleet Nomnom is decimated... ha ha ha.  I have a lot of bugs, too so am trying to figure out a way to get some movement trays modified so I can stick the hordes o' bugs that are troop selections on them for easier pick-up and transport from shelves to table.  I was fielding full units of 30 in most cases so need to have a quick way to pull down tons of stuff off the shelf.  I might be off but it seems like the MC rules are a lot different than in 3rd edition, so I really need to read up on them.  Carnifexes seemed to die a lot easier than I though they would so maybe I was doing it "wrong."  heh

2.  Yeah both my son and my buddy were very patient, as it was their first game as well and we just got pizzas, turned on some music and had fun.  Although I'm seriously wondering if the game board we have in the "Dork Den" should be reduced from its current 3x3 Realm of Battle game board tiles to a more "normal" 3x2 set up.  Your thoughts are appreciated.  We like the 3x3 because it just seems more awesome, but moving around a 3x2 would probably be easier for the players.

3.  Assault question:  I infiltrated a full unit of genestealers and a broodlord 18" away from units in plain sight.  Their deployment allowed this, much to their horror.  So on turn 1 I moved 6", then ran in the shooting phase for an additional 6" (dice gods smiled upon me) and then assaulted 2d6" and made it.  Did we do that right?

4.  Assuming we did (3) correctly, here's the real question about a convoluted assault.  The marine players had a group of Thunderwolf Cavalry to the left, a unit of assault marines in the center and a dreadnought to the right.  For simplicity, I'll just use directions.  All were kinda sorta close to each other, if that helps the visualization.  On the genestealers' charge, I could make it into base-to-base contact with all three enemy units.  So, figuring that Hive Fleet Nomnom would just wanna feed on the biomass I just charged all three.  Is that legal?  I understand now in hindsight that the 'stealers cannot conceivably hurt the dreadnought due to their strength not being high enough to even glance armor value 12 (since they can't get behind a walker per the rules) but for cinematic purposes I just charged like I figured that they would.

5.  Assuming we did (3) and (4) correctly, two of the close combats ended ridiculously quickly.  The calvary and assault marines fell due to the genestealers' initiative and had some poor rolls in addition to me giving the 'stealers rending claws and some 6s were rolled on the wound die.  So now I have a TON of 'stealers in a conga line with only a dreadnought engaged to the right.  Question:  since I "won" two assaults would the 'stealers get a consolidation move or since they're stuck in combat with the dread are they to remain in place?

6.  Depending upon the answer to question (5), if I am able to consolidate there was a tank nearby (assaulting vehicles always uses rear armor value per the rules so I reckon I could hurt it) and a hapless band o' scouts in a building above us.  Since I'm still stuck in combat with the dread, which I cannot hurt, can I elect to stay in the combat with the dread and consolidate towards the other targets and assault them, too or do I have to pile in on the dread and the only way I can get out is if I voluntarily flee from the dread?

7.  I am dying to play with you folks, too.  So hopefully now that my schedule is ironing itself out I'll be able to play down at Dark Tower Games on Tuesday nights or (most likely) on Saturdays.  I've got my son's schedule to prioritize since he's only 13 and cannot legally drive yet and obviously there's work but I'm hoping he and I can do some combi-action with folks so he and I play as a team and learn some rules and have some fun.

8.  Pictures are hopefully attached of the board, although my computer skills are lacking.  If you don't see pictures then it's a PICNIC error (Problem In Chair, Not In Computer).

9.  Intrizic, I'm always down to play if you wanna come here and game.  My work schedule is usually 5 on / 4 off / 5 on / 4 off / 5 on  / 5 off so I have plenty of time.  We can just schedule days in advance and make a go of it, eh?  If I'm off work then my schedule is:  son; chores; lift / workout; paint; game; whatever.

3. Running forbids you from assaulting in the same turn. So unfortunately, you couldn't have made the assault.

4. That's a "Disorganized Assault". You  declare a primary target, and then as long as you can reach and maintain coherency, you can assault any other units (secondary targets) in range. You have to declare the secondary targets at the same time, and they get to overwatch as well. If you don't roll enough to make it into contact with the secondary targets, the assault still succeeds provided you make it into assault with the primary target. Be aware you don't get extra attacks from assaulting when making a disorganized assault. Also as a note about Genestealers, they have rending attacks. Which means against a walker (you always fight against front armor in CC), you can still wound them. With base strength 4, a roll of a 6 to pen would also be granted +d3. 4 (base strength) + 6 (roll to penetrate) + d3 (extra from rending) can be 13 if you roll a 5/6 on the d3. So you can still glance one to death.

5. They are just stuck in assault, they don't get to overrun (I think) and will consolidate their standard 3" toward the dread.

6. You are stuck with the dread until you kill it. You can't assault other units from that combat. You can only voluntarily flee from a combat if you are not fearless (genestealers would not be fearless if they are not in synapse range) and you cannot possibly injure the opponent. Since you had a broodlord in the unit (S5) the only thing you cannot possibly put a wound on is AV15. So you're plain out of luck for fleeing from the combat unfortunately.

Also, genestealers always have rending. So it's not an upgrade you need to purchase. You can get them scything talons however, which will grant them an extra attack.11

It also depends if you had the top or the bottom of turn 1.  The player that gets the top of turn 1 cannot assault. The player that gets the bottom of turn 1 may assault. 

Hello there,

/scribbling notes furiously

Thanks guys!

4.  Thanks for the notes on the 'stealers.  I'm pretty sure that I had to point extra for rending claws in the Army Builder program so I'll double-check that stuff for sure.  Methinks I'm gonna go back to my old school paper lists that have all my lil' notes on them.

6.  Regarding the 'stealer unit with the Broodlord.  Since all the base-to-base contacts were taken by 'stealers, does the Broodlord just wait its turn until a spot opens up (i.e. a 'stealer dies)?  Or can he bump one out of the way and get in base-to-base.

Thanks again, I appreciate all the assistance.  Mayhaps I'm gonna go through the rulebook section by section and really nail it down.  After I read my stack o' comics, that is.  ha ha

Stay safe,

don

Hello there,

/scribbling notes furiously

Thanks guys!

4.  Thanks for the notes on the 'stealers.  I'm pretty sure that I had to point extra for rending claws in the Army Builder program so I'll double-check that stuff for sure.  Methinks I'm gonna go back to my old school paper lists that have all my lil' notes on them.

6.  Regarding the 'stealer unit with the Broodlord.  Since all the base-to-base contacts were taken by 'stealers, does the Broodlord just wait its turn until a spot opens up (i.e. a 'stealer dies)?  Or can he bump one out of the way and get in base-to-base.

Thanks again, I appreciate all the assistance.  Mayhaps I'm gonna go through the rulebook section by section and really nail it down.  After I read my stack o' comics, that is.  ha ha

Stay safe,

don

6. As long as the Broodlord is within 3"(ot is it 2"?) of another genestealer in BtB with the enemy, it must throw all of its attacks against the model(s) in BtB with the genestealer(s).

It is 2" for supporting attacks which are the same as regular attacks in all ways except being in BtB (base to base). Don I would love to play a teaching game with you and your son. Pick a Saturday or Sunday and I can come over to your place for the day, alternatively third Saturday of a month we can play while the other guys do the event.

On the army builder note it might be the older version of the nids, pretty sure they had to upgrade like that... Doesn't matter to much.

Monsterous creatures are much different now, and carnifex are slightly more fragile. Thing to do is brood them up and spread the wounds around by placement, closest model takes the wounds till dead... No further commentary at this time.

Any nid mc with 4 wounds can be easily be killed in one turn. Try to keep them in cover and if it is an assault carnifex...good luck. Broods are really the way to go but it gets expensive at 400+ points. Also remember the terrain you assault through. No assault grenades so roll 3d6 and pick the two lowest and then the genestealer go at initiative 1. I only say this because it is really hard to assault with a big squad of anything and not go through cover. Takes some nifty positioning. 

Don played a game of 40k? Yeah and I just went on and hunting trip with sasquatch. 

Hello there,

Yeah I took a brood o' carnies and although fearsome looking on the tabletop I was underwhelmed by their performance.  Caveat being that I might've been doing it all wrong any how... ha!

With regards to moving through cover, I thought a lot of the beasties had "move through cover" rule anyhow.

And huggies01, what did you and Squatch hunt for?  'Cause I really played... :)

Stay safe,

don

Move through cover has no effect an assaults if that's what you're getting at? That nids biggest struggle is no assault grenades for an assault army. Don't worry all the problems that your having every nid player is trying to deal with. Ha we just have to get you into the shop to play now. Keep at that hive mind.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.