WoW Escalation League list ideas: 4th List

Lyraeus

With this being my first escalation league ever and the first time playing orks I am testing several list ideas. Having never played ITC before, hopefully this will help me figure out where to start and what I should focus on painting wise. 

I will post a single list at a time for the discussion then later add another list further in the thread. I am not looking for perfection in my lists just something robust enough to handle a variety of situations or something interesting. 

First list:

This first list is a CP machine. Nothing really specialized but it seems fun. With the Bad Moons Shoota Boyz there I have a half decent Showing Off and More Dakka stratagem target, while the Deathskull Boyz are a great Warpath and Da Jump target. The Warboss is there to mess with big annoying things and the SAG Big Mek is perfect in Deathskulls for the free rerolls. 

Thoughts? 

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Orks) ++

Clan Kultur: Bad Moons

+ HQ +

Big Mek (Index): Choppa, Kustom Force Field

Weirdboy: 2. Warpath, 3. Da Jump, Warphead (1 CP)

+ Troops +

Boyz: 2x Tankbusta Bombs

. Ork Boy W/ 'Eavy Weapon: Big Shoota

. 18x Ork Boy W/ Shoota

Gretchin: 10x Gretchin

Clan Kultur: Deathskulls

+ HQ +

Big Mek (Index): Choppa, Shokk Attack Gun

Warboss: Da Killa Klaw, Kombi-Rokkit, Kunnin but Brutal, Power Klaw, Warlord

+ Troops +

. Boss Nob: Choppa, Power Klaw

. Ork Boy W/ 'Eavy Weapon: Rokkit Launcha

. 19x Ork Boy W/ Slugga & Choppa

++ Total: [39 PL, 749pts] ++

Second List: 

In this list I am running a Speed Waaaghh. It's great against vehicle heavy or high Toughness lists. It has a weakness with swarm armies and with mass anti-vehicle lists. I chose Deathskulls again over Evil Sunz because while the extra charge is nice and the move and shoot Assault weapons with no penalties is great, the rerolls and invul are good too, though I am waffling on that so a good argument either way or testing could change my mind. 

Here is the list:

++ Outrider Detachment +1CP (Orks) ++

+ HQ +

Deffkilla Wartrike

+ Elites +

Nobz on Warbikes
. Boss Nob on Warbike: Choppa, Power Klaw, Stikkbombs
. Nob on Warbike: Choppa, Power Klaw, Stikkbombs

+ Fast Attack +

Kustom Boosta Blastas: Kustom Boosta Blastas

Megatrakk Scrapjet
. Megatrakk Scrapjet: 2x Twin Big Shoota

Shokkjump Dragstas
. Shokkjump Dragstas: Rokkit Launcha

+ Heavy Support +

Mek Gunz
. Gun: Traktor Kannon

++ Total: [38 PL, 750pts] ++ 

For those that don't know the klan kulturs. Deathskulls gives Objective Secured to all infantry, a Reroll to A hit, A wound, and A Damage roll per unit per turn and a 6++ to all units with that kultur. 

Evil Sunz increases the Movement characteristic of normal units by 1" (speed Freaks units which all in the second list are get 2" more to movement instead), +1" to Advance, +1" to charges, and suffer no penalties for shooting Assault weapons after advancing. 

The Deffkilla Wartrike let's bikers and vehicles charge if they are within 6" of him after Advancing. 

Thoughts please? 

Third List 

+ HQ +

Big Mek (Index): Big Choppa, Kustom Force Field

Warboss: Da Killa Klaw, Kombi-Rokkit, Power Klaw

+ Troops +

Boyz: Tankbusta Bombs
. 11x Ork Boy W/ Slugga & Choppa

+ Elites +

Meganobz
. Boss Meganob w/ Saws: Killsaws (Pair)
. Meganob w/ Saws: Killsaws (Pair)

Nob with Waaagh! Banner: Kustom Shoota, Power Klaw

+ Fast Attack +

Shokkjump Dragstas

+ Dedicated Transport +

Trukk: Big Shoota

++ Total: [37 PL, 749pts] ++

This list is more about getting in for some Krumpin. The Trukk not only can be used to transport the Meganobz, Warboss and the Waaaghh Banna can all fit in the Trukk. 

This has a medium amount of CP so not a huge amount of things to do but it can get its hard hitting cargo into places. 

Third List 

+ HQ +

Big Mek (Index): Big Choppa, Kustom Force Field

Warboss: Da Killa Klaw, Kombi-Rokkit, Power Klaw

+ Troops +

Boyz: Tankbusta Bombs
. 11x Ork Boy W/ Slugga & Choppa

+ Elites +

Meganobz
. Boss Meganob w/ Saws: Killsaws (Pair)

Nob with Waaagh! Banner: Kustom Shoota, Power Klaw

+ Fast Attack +

Shokkjump Dragstas

+ Dedicated Transport +

Trukk: Big Shoota

++ Total: [37 PL, 749pts] ++

This list is more about getting in for some Krumpin. The Trukk not only can be used to transport the Meganobz, Warboss and the Waaaghh Banna can all fit in the Trukk. 

This has a medium amount of CP so not a huge amount of things to do but it can get its hard hitting cargo into places. 

Fourth List 

+ HQ +

+ Troops +

Boyz: 3x Tankbusta Bombs
. 27x Ork Boy W/ Shoota

+ Heavy Support +

Lootas: 15x Loota

Mek Gunz

++ Total: [37 PL, 750pts] ++

This is a pretty vicious list. While not having a good amount of CP it can easily just nuke somethings in a single turn and make life hell for people. 

If I had a Dakkajet I would use that here as hitting on 4's with rerolls to 1's is pretty good. Still this list is mean and can mess with most things rather easily. 

Thoughts? 

Brutal, but cunning... It’s hard to go wrong with throwing MOAR BOYZ at the enemy. I think it’ll be hard for anyone to match you in terms of CP.

You’ll certain have no problem in the Objective-grabbing department; and your Anti-Infantry should be strong just due to the buckets of dice you’ll have for shooting... Anti-Tank seems to be the only weakness, but I could be underestimating your Tabkbusta Bombs and Power Klaws. Plus, at 750, it’s unlikely you’ll run into anything terribly heavy.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ish said:

Brutal, but cunning... It’s hard to go wrong with throwing MOAR BOYZ at the enemy. I think it’ll be hard for anyone to match you in terms of CP.

You’ll certain have no problem in the Objective-grabbing department; and your Anti-Infantry should be strong just due to the buckets of dice you’ll have for shooting... Anti-Tank seems to be the only weakness, but I could be underestimating your Tabkbusta Bombs and Power Klaws. Plus, at 750, it’s unlikely you’ll run into anything terribly heavy.

That's the idea. It also helps that if I get desperate I can mob up the two Boyz group or Green Tide one to get back in the fight. 

As for heavy, many Redemptor dreads as you have seen. That's the fear here though with Da Jump and klaws, I should be able to do something against them

44 minutes ago, Lyraeus said:

With this being my first escalation league ever and the first time playing orks I am testing several list ideas. Having never played ITC before, hopefully this will help me figure out where to start and what I should focus on painting wise. 

I will post a single list at a time for the discussion then later add another list further in the thread. I am not looking for perfection in my lists just something robust enough to handle a variety of situations or something interesting. 

This first list is a CP machine. Nothing really specialized but it seems fun. With the Bad Moons Shoota Boyz there I have a half decent Showing Off and More Dakka stratagem target, while the Deathskull Boyz are a great Warpath and Da Jump target. The Warboss is there to mess with big annoying things and the SAG Big Mek is perfect in Deathskulls for the free rerolls. 

Thoughts? 

+ HQ +

Weirdboy: 2. Warpath, 3. Da Jump, Warphead (1 CP)

+ Troops +

. 18x Ork Boy W/ Shoota

+ HQ +

Big Mek (Index): Choppa, Shokk Attack Gun

+ Troops +

. 19x Ork Boy W/ Slugga & Choppa

++ Total: [39 PL, 749pts] ++

Just a consideration, looks like ranged Anti-tank is limited to a single ork with a single rokkit launcha. Some good melee AT options there, but since none of your melee can fly, army is going to rely on shooting to cope with airborne opponents. 

I plan to field at least 1 of my TAU Sunshark Bombers in the 750pt list. It's not terribly impressive, but it is Airborne and is Hard to hit. Your list looks like you'd have to accept that you couldn't really hurt my flyer and would have to focus on ground targets. 

Otherwise, List looks pretty good Vs grounded targets. 

Your other consideration would be on morale checks. Not sure exactly how orks work on that end these days, but I did face a newb with the new codex and they can certainly fail morale if you kill enough models in short amount of time. I somehow doubt the grots have much ability to pass morale checks and it really isn't that unrealistic to kill 14 orks in a single shooting turn. Not sure if the orks have some options to make morale checks easier to pass, but seems worth looking into. 

6 minutes ago, paxmiles said:

Just a consideration, looks like ranged Anti-tank is limited to a single ork with a single rokkit launcha. Some good melee AT options there, but since none of your melee can fly, army is going to rely on shooting to cope with airborne opponents. 

I plan to field at least 1 of my TAU Sunshark Bombers in the 750pt list. It's not terribly impressive, but it is Airborne and is Hard to hit. Your list looks like you'd have to accept that you couldn't really hurt my flyer and would have to focus on ground targets. 

Otherwise, List looks pretty good Vs grounded targets. 

Your other consideration would be on morale checks. Not sure exactly how orks work on that end these days, but I did face a newb with the new codex and they can certainly fail morale if you kill enough models in short amount of time. I somehow doubt the grots have much ability to pass morale checks and it really isn't that unrealistic to kill 14 orks in a single shooting turn. Not sure if the orks have some options to make morale checks easier to pass, but seems worth looking into. 

Well, in most games if I kill your ground you auto lose right? 

I also have my Warboss with a Kombi Rokkits and maybe a lucky Shock Attack Gun. I can also More Dakka the Shoota Boyz and still hit on 5+ generating more hits and then wounding on 5+. I can also use my superior CP and force the Shoota Boyz to shoot a second time getting all previous bonuses. 

Morale is helped by the Warboss knockin some 'eads together or just auto passing morale with 2 CP. Starting with 12 is a HUGE factor 

It's definitely not perfect but that's how I would handle that. 

Thoughts? 

2 minutes ago, Ish said:

He does have 13 CP(!) that can go a long way to boosting morale checks with just simple re-rolls... and the Orks do have some morale shenanigans in their codex. I don’t know what they all are, but they are there.

I modified my reply for that. The Warboss is there to knock 'eads together for the grots and Boyz. It also helps that the KFF is there for a 5++ but the second battalion does have an auto 6++

4 minutes ago, Lyraeus said:

I modified my reply for that. The Warboss is there to knock 'eads together for the grots and Boyz. It also helps that the KFF is there for a 5++ but the second battalion does have an auto 6++

I had missed that the two detachments are different chapters/legions/septs/kultures. 

Even unpainted, beware, you do need to be able to tell the different units apart if you give them different kultures. Especially with unpainted forces, I'd avoid mixing multiple septs/legions/kultures just to avoid confusion. 

But if they are already painted/distinguished, then no problem.

7 minutes ago, paxmiles said:

I had missed that the two detachments are different chapters/legions/septs/kultures. 

Even unpainted, beware, you do need to be able to tell the different units apart if you give them different kultures. Especially with unpainted forces, I'd avoid mixing multiple septs/legions/kultures just to avoid confusion. 

But if they are already painted/distinguished, then no problem.

The only things not painted here at least in base colors are the Gretchin and Big Meks. The boyz are easy because one has a 2 handed gun the the others have melee weapons. 

7 hours ago, Lyraeus said:

Well, in most games if I kill your ground you auto lose right? 

I also have my Warboss with a Kombi Rokkits and maybe a lucky Shock Attack Gun. I can also More Dakka the Shoota Boyz and still hit on 5+ generating more hits and then wounding on 5+. I can also use my superior CP and force the Shoota Boyz to shoot a second time getting all previous bonuses. 

If you completely slay every single model except the flyers, yes, you win. That said, aiming for a wipe is typically not a good plan. 

I did also miss the combi-rokkit and the shokk attack (I think I got the two detachment's mixed up). And it's true, I don't really know what Ork Stratagems can do. 

Suggestions on your list would be to increase the number of Rokkits on the boyz (replacing big shootas), add some models with FLY (like jump infantry), or include another ranged volume fire AT option (lootas?).

Anyway, your call. Just suggestions because you asked for feedback. 

47 minutes ago, paxmiles said:

If you completely slay every single model except the flyers, yes, you win. That said, aiming for a wipe is typically not a good plan. 

I did also miss the combi-rokkit and the shokk attack (I think I got the two detachment's mixed up). And it's true, I don't really know what Ork Stratagems can do. 

Suggestions on your list would be to increase the number of Rokkits on the boyz (replacing big shootas), add some models with FLY (like jump infantry), or include another ranged volume fire AT option (lootas?).

Anyway, your call. Just suggestions because you asked for feedback. 

Rokkits are expensive sadly. The reason I have one is because of the Kultur. Deathskulls let's me reroll a Hit, a Wound AND a Damage roll oer. Unit every turn so the Rokkit gets a second change for hits and wounds to get a 6 to hit and a 3-4 to wound multiple times. 

The Big Shootas are in a Bad Moons Detachment because they let me reroll 1's during the shooting phase so it's best for mass attacks. 

29 minutes ago, Lyraeus said:

Rokkits are expensive sadly. The reason I have one is because of the Kultur. Deathskulls let's me reroll a Hit, a Wound AND a Damage roll oer. Unit every turn so the Rokkit gets a second change for hits and wounds to get a 6 to hit and a 3-4 to wound multiple times. 

The Big Shootas are in a Bad Moons Detachment because they let me reroll 1's during the shooting phase so it's best for mass attacks. 

So rather than two Kultures, why not just stick with one? I guess you did say they were already painted as each kulture.

Is the Shokk attack gun any good this edition? That one seems to change dramatically in each edition.

Also, since the goal seems to be CP, why not a Brigade?

PS: wouldn't it be Kommand Points for orks? KP...?

1 hour ago, Ish said:

Everyone in a Brigade has to have the same Kulture. 13 CP isn’t that much less than 15 CP, after all is said and done, but having two different Kultures is really handy.

I suppose. 

Mixing chapters/kultures/septs always seemed a bit taboo for my SM/CSM, at least between legions/chapters of the same codex. Might look into it for TAU. I have noted that there's no SEPT requirement for the TAU fortifications, so I suppose I could embark one sept on the fortifications of another.

A brigade is an idea. The thing is, I am trying to maximize the capabilities of each main unit. 

The Warboss gets a free 6++ which is better than no invul, he and the Big Mek also get a super Objective Secured for being Deathskulls. 

There are also different stratagems only used by each kultur. For Bad Moons it's the ability to shoot twice for Deathskulls it's the ability to reroll wounds against vehicles. Which seems bad but I do have Tank Busta Bombs which are Grenade D3 S8 AP -2, Damage D6 that also get Dakka Dakka Dakka so their hits of a 6+ generate extra shots. 

The list is ok, and will bleed kill points but I think it has potential 

3 hours ago, paxmiles said:

So rather than two Kultures, why not just stick with one? I guess you did say they were already painted as each kulture.

Is the Shokk attack gun any good this edition? That one seems to change dramatically in each edition.

Also, since the goal seems to be CP, why not a Brigade?

PS: wouldn't it be Kommand Points for orks? KP...?

I answer the first part in the post above. 

The SAG is interesting. It can do things and it can't. It's unreliable but that makes it fun. You roll S after selecting a target. On 2d6 if you roll 11+ all wounds are Mortal Wounds. It gets D6 shots, gets Dakka Dakka Dakka and does D6 damage. Add in the way that wounding works in 8th edition and it's actually not bad. Unless I get a HORRIBLE roll of 2-4 or less for strength, I should always be wounding on 3-5's which isn't bad. Though... Hitting is an issue, hence why he is Deathskulls! I get to reroll a hit die for free! 

Do the orks have the same limitations on their CHARACTER abilties as the CSM, where each friendly psychic buff or character aura only functions on models of the same legion/kulture?

Or rather, will you be able to use the same warboss to help morale for units from both detachments? Can you Da'jump from both detachments?

20 minutes ago, paxmiles said:

Do the orks have the same limitations on their CHARACTER abilties as the CSM, where each friendly psychic buff or character aura only functions on models of the same legion/kulture?

Or rather, will you be able to use the same warboss to help morale for units from both detachments? Can you Da'jump from both detachments?

As far as I can tell no. I can be wrong as an FAQ might specify something I missed but the book does not have it worded it so 

10 minutes ago, Lyraeus said:

As far as I can tell no. I can be wrong as an FAQ might specify something I missed but the book does not have it worded it so 

An annoying drawback to mixed kulture forces.

TAU have a weird one where some of there stuff applies to SEPT and some is just TAU EMPIRE (which means it applies to all TAU units). But TAU also don't have any psykers.

41 minutes ago, paxmiles said:

An annoying drawback to mixed kulture forces.

TAU have a weird one where some of there stuff applies to SEPT and some is just TAU EMPIRE (which means it applies to all TAU units). But TAU also don't have any psykers.

We have that for transports and several other things. For instance Gretchin don't get any benefits from the Kultur. They have it for transport limitations but don't get it otherwise. 

The second list looks more like an addition to an army than a force in its own right. With only ten models, most of them vehicles, it's going to have a hell of a time with any missions that require you to take and hold a static position... On the other hand, it does look like a very fun list to play against! 

1 hour ago, Ish said:

The second list looks more like an addition to an army than a force in its own right. With only ten models, most of them vehicles, it's going to have a hell of a time with any missions that require you to take and hold a static position... On the other hand, it does look like a very fun list to play against! 

Yup. Sadly at 750 with what I own it's hard to fully make a good Speed Waaaghh.... But I dare anyone bring a knight because if I get in with those Biker Nobz... Well, 20x S10 Dmg D3 attacks may just be scary enough.... I could in theory set the bikers in the Tellyporta... Ok, that's a STRONG reason for Evil Sunz right there... Sure it's T2 but how much chaff will people actually have... 

Here is the list:

++ Outrider Detachment +1CP (Orks) ++

+ HQ +

Deffkilla Wartrike

+ Elites +

Nobz on Warbikes
. Boss Nob on Warbike: Choppa, Power Klaw, Stikkbombs

+ Fast Attack +

Kustom Boosta Blastas: Kustom Boosta Blastas

Megatrakk Scrapjet
. Megatrakk Scrapjet: 2x Twin Big Shoota

Shokkjump Dragstas

+ Heavy Support +

Mek Gunz

++ Total: [38 PL, 750pts] ++ 

For those that don't know the klan kulturs. Deathskulls gives Objective Secured to all infantry, a Reroll to A hit, A wound, and A Damage roll per unit per turn and a 6++ to all units with that kultur. 

Evil Sunz increases the Movement characteristic of normal units by 1" (speed Freaks units which all in the second list are get 2" more to movement instead), +1" to Advance, +1" to charges, and suffer no penalties for shooting Assault weapons after advancing. 

The Deffkilla Wartrike let's bikers and vehicles charge if they are within 6" of him after Advancing. 

Thoughts please? 

Death Skulls make infantry objective secured, but your list doesn't seem to have any infantry...Other aspects seem useful.

List does solve the previous issues regarding flyers and leadership. Seems really low model count. Considering the low model count, doesn't seem particularly durable. What's the plan if the opponent survives turn 1....?