Reserves Limitations?

fluger

TACTICAL RESERVES
Instead of being set up on the battlefield during Deployment, many units have the ability to be set up on teleportariums, in high orbit, in ambush, etc., in order to arrive on the battlefield mid-game as reinforcements. When setting up your army during Deployment for a matched play game, at least half the total number of units in your army must be set up on the battlefield, and the combined points value of all the units you set up on the battlefield during Deployment (including those that are embarked within Transports that are set up on the battlefield) must be at least half of your army’s total points value, even if every unit in your army has an ability that would allow them to be set up elsewhere.

Furthermore, in matched play games, units that are not placed on the battlefield during deployment in order to arrive on the battle mid-game as reinforcements cannot arrive on the battlefield during the first battle round.

Finally, any unit that has not arrived on the battlefield by the end of the third battle round in a matched play game counts as having been destroyed

This rule was introduced in the "The Big FAQ 2017" and then further clarified in "The Big FAQ 2 2018," quoted above (emphasis mine).

* You have to have at least half your total number of units and at least half your total Point Value. So no running three minimum size squads of Grots on the table with three Gargants starting in reserve!
* You cannot have anyone arrive from reserve during the first round. 
* Anything that doesn't come in from reserve by the end of the third round counts as destroyed.

• Thanks 1

The thing that's always bugged me, based on how this is worded, is that because it says: "[w]hen setting up your army during Deployment for a matched play game, at least half the total number of units in your army must be set up on the battlefield," (emphasis mine), that means that units embarked on Transports or inside Fortifications do not count for being part of the half on the table, since embarkation explicitly involves removing the unit from the table. 

How does tactical reserves work with reinforcement points? Like if we're playing at 2k, and I have 500pts set aside as reinforcement points, do I require half of 1500pts on the table, or half of 2k?

2 hours ago, Ish said:

The thing that's always bugged me, based on how this is worded, is that because it says: "[w]hen setting up your army during Deployment for a matched play game, at least half the total number of units in your army must be set up on the battlefield," (emphasis mine), that means that units embarked on Transports or inside Fortifications do not count for being part of the half on the table, since embarkation explicitly involves removing the unit from the table. 

I thought there was a bit somewhere in the Designer's Commentary or something that clarified and said that, for that one purpose, they were considered to be on the board.