The new IG book

Apart from chimeras, I'm not seeing a huge amount of points increases, and I think the easy access to psykers and priests gives them better force multiplication than they had before.  Also, Leman Russes are a lot cheaper across the board, so that's nice.

The new mortar tank is pretty cool.  Heavy 4 S4 AP6 blast shred ignore cover for 65 points, and it's fluff is that the shrapnel packed in the shells are thousands of tiny sharpened aquillas, like grimdark batarangs.

Plus having 6 AV14 tanks in the HQ slot ain't anything to sneeze at.

I'm just giddy for the extra special weapon squad per platoon, because we know it all comes down to the last guardsman.  Every time.

It does suck about the reduction in characters across the board.  I guess that's just DLC coming down the pipe, but whatevs.

• Like 2

IT'S IG, RAAK.  THE IMPERIAL GUARD.

Er… ahem.

Just going down the list:

Yarrick: 40 points cheaper

CCS: 10 points more expensive, but cheaper advisors and better orders.

Creed: 10 points cheaper

Kell: 10 points cheaper

Straken: 35 points cheaper

Nork: 25 points cheaper

Lord Commissar: 5 points cheaper

Commissars: 10 points cheaper

Priests: 20 points cheaper

Primaris psykers: 20 points cheaper (5 points more if you take them at PSlvl 2)

Enginseers: 5 points cheaper, servitors also 5 points cheaper per with heavy weapons at half the previous cost)

Ogryns: Same

Ratlings: Same

Psyker battle squad: same for the first 5, but 2 points more per model beyond that.  Arguably more utility in them.

Storm troopers: 10 points cheaper, but with better flexibility for the elite slot.

PCS: same

infantry squad: same

HWS: same

SWS: 5 points cheaper, plus a third slot in the platoon

Conscripts: 1 point cheaper per model.

Veterans: 10 points cheaper, with cheaper doctrines

Harker: Same, but less good.

Chimera: 10 points more

Taurox/Prime: Meh.

Scout Sentinal: same, with cheaper weapons

Armored Sentinal: 15 points cheaper with hella cheap plasma cannons. 0_o

Rough Riders: Same, lost Kamir

Hellhound: 5 points cheaper

Devil dog: 15 points more expensive

Bane WOOOOOOLFFFF!: same

Valkyrie: 25 points more with more expensive lascannons and heavy bolters and cheaper multirocket pods

Vendetta: 40 points more with just dumb weapon options and gimped transport capacity.

Russes: WE'RE HAVING A FIRE!  SALE!

Hydra battery: 5 points cheaper, but open topped and there's the jink thing.

Basilisk: Same

Other artillery:  *Crickets*

Manticore: 10 points more

Deathstrike, Same, better.

So… Mike, I take it you play the air force? :D

• Like 1

All the increases were appropriate. With cheap access to divination now, and the edition change allowing so many hiding better power weapons in the blobs of course the prices went up on those things they are better in the hands of AM than marines if taken right.

I'm slightly baffled by the Leman Russes but with snap firing only sponsons and all the plasma getting hot it is prolly about right... Maybe?

• Like 1

I still don't get the hydra. That thing will get smoked by flyers before it can fire.

Means they aren't shooting more valuable targets. Flyers are not that great, flying monstrous creatures sure but mass laser pointers drop them to the ground doing more damage. Hydras are a great head fake to draw fire, and if they are left alone can do their job. Even if there are no good targets they have worth screening other better targets.

• Like 1

The gun is super easy to remove if you want as an opponent. Before it would ever get to fire at a flyer, it is its own unit for targeting purposes. Two Hydras could be deployed outta line of sight and move into a firing position. Course I hate telegraphing my intentions. You could even reserve the Hydras and be like whoop there it is!

From my understanding each hydra has two twin linked autocannon right? So 140 pts of Hydras get 8 shots to the quad guns 4. Advantage hydra with Smart play. Even with interceptor fence is unlikely to kill a flyer before it strikes.

Fence with unit to actually make use of the rules is what 150? Might be able to get cheaper but that just limits what the other squad can do and go.

Fairly solid review by Reecius: http://www.frontlinegaming.org/2014/04/11/astra-militarum-first-impressions/

and AV14 for as low as 120pts. #YesPlease

This looks like it could be an allied with or allies of power combo kinda IG I mean ummm AM

I just thought of a use for Ratlings Shoot and Scarper rule that Reecius might not have considered in his review here.  30 points for a BS4 unit that can duck back inside a fortification after coming out to fire the Icarus or Quad gun on top, and enjoy a 3+ cover while up there ain't too bad.

• Like 2

I just thought of a use for Ratlings Shoot and Scarper rule that Reecius might not have considered in his review here.  30 points for a BS4 unit that can duck back inside a fortification after coming out to fire the Icarus or Quad gun on top, and enjoy a 3+ cover while up there ain't too bad.

I love me some 'hittin' on 3's with 3+ cover'

Well i feel like the book has gotten too powerful, especially with all the psykers that can now access divination.

I know that you've played IG  I feel I'll get flamed less for being technically incorrect than not ;P) for many a year now - how do you feel that this codex overpowers them. I know nothing of the glorious guard, start low on the totem pole if you don't mind

I know that you've played IG  I feel I'll get flamed less for being technically incorrect than not ;P) for many a year now - how do you feel that this codex overpowers them. I know nothing of the glorious guard, start low on the totem pole if you don't mind

Generally speaking, anything that can grant rerolls to the sheer number of high strength, low AP pie plates the Guard are capable of slinging is going to put it in the "questionably OP" range, especially when combined with cheaper tanks and better nukes.

That said, I don't know that 50 points a pop on a fragile LD9 model is really going to break the game, but we'll see.

Well for example the ability to blob squad or conscripts. (50 men) cast precience and give them +1 shot (order) so 100-150 lasgun shots with re-rolls to hits.

I just feel like divination is too powerful to give easy access to a gun line army on top of the shooting buffs they have already through orders is too much.

Oh man that is crazy

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.