Redemptor Dreadnought in a Lucius Pattern Drop Pod?

1 minute ago, Ish said:

The Lucius Pattern Drop Pod can transport a single < CHAPTER > VEHICLE model with tbe DREADNOUGHT keyword. Imperial Armour: Index: Forces of the Adeptus Astartes, p. 45.

The Redemptor Dreadnought has all three required keywords.

That's how I'm reading it too, thanks.

10 minutes ago, Steel Angel said:

Take that all back thats for a Stormraven.

The Stormraven has a specific call out in its Transport rule that says "[ i ]t cannot transport Primaris models or Redemptor Dreadnoughts." Most of the other Space Marin Transport vehicles have a similar call out. Primaris Infantry can only ride in the Repulsor or Thunderhawk, the Redemptor can only ride in the Lucius Pattern Drop Pod... "Nu-Marines" have expensive tastes.

Hmm...related question, does the Drop pod need to start in reserves? 

Looking at the wording in both codex and FW index, doesn't seem like drop pods need to drop. I could instead just deploy them on the table at the start. Probably a waste of points, but would allow for flexibility when deciding which "half" of the army deploys at the start of the game. 

Drop pod remains immobile once "set up."

The Drop Pod Assault rule for the standard Drop Pod is worded to be optional: “During deployment, you can set up this model, along with any units embarked within it, in orbit instead of placing it on the battlefield...” (Emphasis added.)

I don’t have my FW Index on hand to double check, but I’m reasonably certain the Lucius Pattern Drop Pod has the same wording for its rule.

It’s rare that you’d want to have them start on the table, but it’s doable.

14 minutes ago, Ish said:

The Drop Pod Assault rule for the standard Drop Pod is worded to be optional: “During deployment, you can set up this model, along with any units embarked within it, in orbit instead of placing it on the battlefield...” (Emphasis added.)

I don’t have my FW Index on hand to double check, but I’m reasonably certain the Lucius Pattern Drop Pod has the same wording for its rule.

It’s rare that you’d want to have them start on the table, but it’s doable.

Wording is the same. 

In prior editions, taking drop pods meant being locked into using the drop pods turn 1+. Asking for that reason. 

As for why you'd do it, 2 reasons come to mind. First would be in relation to that 50% on the table requirement. Being able to switch which "half" was deep striking could be helpful vs random opponents, especially if the army features lots of units with the option to deep strike. Second reason is if you want all your shooting on the table turn 1 - against opponents where they come to you, arriving in the pod is probably less useful than the storm bolter and an extra turn of shooting for the embarked unit. 

I was thinking about the Deathstorm Drop Pods when i asked, though the wording the same for all of them and the question is worth asking.

And I suppose, themeatically, you could have a full drop pod army where half your pods and units just start on the table to imply the deep striked a turn prior. Thematic, though maybe not effective.

The're also no requirement to actually have anything in the pod. You could start with the Dreadnought on the table and bring down an empty pod.

Makes a nice little reactive "path blocker," if you see that a portion of the enemy army is moving through a narrow chokepoint, drop a pod in their way. They can kill it, but it will take at least one turn to do so... 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tamwulf said:

I'd be more interested in seeing the Dreadnought Drop Pod! Forge World hasn't had those in stock for like, years. Seen one... and they are HUGE. 

I already own one - That's why I was asking.  

Lol. Just hit me that the immobile, unoccupied drop pod, dreadnought or regular, is a scoring unit while the the boots on the ground prevents flyers and unoccupied fortifications from holding objectives.

Extra amusing for the dreadnought drop pod, as it completely lacks weapons.

On 1/30/2019 at 3:55 PM, paxmiles said:

Can't seem to find anything on it, one way or another. Can I put the primaris dreadnought in a dreadnought drop pod?

Mainly asking because it's on a bigger base than the normal dreadnoughts.

Hmm, as linked by @dalmer in the other thread, looks like FW is replacing the old pod for a new, bigger pod. That explains why they don't care how big my dreadnought is.

7 minutes ago, Ish said:

They say “bigger,” but I dunno... The original Lucius Pattern Drop Pod model was already pretty dang big...

Seems logical that they increase the seize for an 80mm base, so it can hold Levi dreads and redemptors. They might also just tweak it so it is able to hold the dreads, but not their bases.

Though, what I really hope, is that FW adds a note that allows the new drop pod to carry Karamazov...