GW Lead Belcher vs AP Platemail primer

So I think I am ready to get priming on my Ad Mech force and I really think going with a metallic primer is the way to go. There seem to be two out there that are readily available for me through typical game shops, GW's Lead Belcher and then Army Painter's Plate Mail. I've never used either one so was wondering if anyone had experience using them and if they are difficult to paint over at all.

• Like 1

I bought a can of Army Painter Gun Metal Primer from Guardian Games for $15 a few months back and I painted several Armigers with it. The painting part went the same as any can of quality primer paint: warmed up via hot water, shake for 1-2 min like I was twerking in a rap video, several thin coats, let dry in the garage at 70ish degrees. Results were normal for quality paint, thick coat, even coverage, except for it is a high gloss finish!! Oh gosh a gloss finish on a mini!? That be some Heresy right there...

I have since watched many videos on the Army Painter system and I think the gloss is intentional so their next step, washing, works better. From my little understanding the wash flows better on a gloss surface than a dull surface. I washed and it looks good, and that cut out most of the gloss, just like their system videos tell you.

I have since purchased an airbrush and am spraying everything with that. My next few knights have been primed with Vallejo grey, and I plan on spraying them with Vallejo Gunmetal (lead belcher) tonight or tomorrow if I can get a few min free. 

I know it isn't the same color but you may have the spray can if you want it. I suspect it is 3/4 full and ready to be used.

As it is supposed to be a primer, how well does other paint sit on top? I want to use it for the undercoat as so much of the Ad Mech is mechanical underneath. This way I'm not risking messing up other areas trying to drybrush it. The plan is this: spray prime the model metal, then airbush the non-metal bits as much as possible, paint and dip as required. I'm just concerned that the high gloss finish you are talking about is going to stop the other paints from having a good coat on top of the metal.

In general the army painter primers are kinda slick/glossy I think of them like m&m shells. Using a GW wash over them is all you need to do then go back with more traditional paints.

I love the prime and wash method for army painting and did a grey knights army with specifically platemail then a wash followed by details. If I tried to do the details before the wash the regular paint behaved oddly but if the wash was there totally normal.

• Like 1

thanks for the tip. I've actually decided my next project is going to be the new chaos marines I just picked up. Most of them seemed to have been primed in a light green color? But I don't know what brand. I'm going to try using the new contrast paints from GW to see how fast I can get these guys up and running. Pics when they happen.