SM Scouts and...?

jollyork

Are SM Scouts legit for the core of an army? Not on bikes, per se, but foot sloggers. They seem like a good deal. What's a good companion for them? 

I was thinking about a bunch of Infiltrator squads with Locator Beacons, backed up by some hard-hittin' bruthas with pipes and blowtorches (Termies). 

Scouts are decent as cheap-ish objective holders, but I think it's important to remember that BS3 means that they aren't accomplishing nearly as much as normal Marines will and 4+ armor means they aren't going to be nearly as resilient (even when wearing Camo Cloaks.) They are certainly not bad at all, but I think it would take a fairly specialized type of army for them to perform as a really solid core of a list- in most all cases, you would probably want at least one squad of Tacticals to back you up and act as more reliable anchors for your line.

• Like 1

For my army, they are a both disruption and cheap scoring.  I run them as a single 5 man squad with bolters.  It's 55 points of win.  At OFCC last year they single-handedly won me two games, mostly by just showing up and hiding and getting me linebreaker.  

My strategy for them is far from what you're going for, but I could see taking about 3 squads of 10, keeping 'em cheap and using them to harass and distract.  I wouldn't count on them doing damage, but by forcing your opponent to kill them because they are either:

1. Sitting on an objective holding it.

2. Contesting an objective since they either infiltrated close or else outflanked.

3. Claiming linebreaker.  

It works especially well for my IG list because it is relatively static and my opponent tends to shift most of their focus there and then this itty bitty unit shows up somewhere else and they have to go deal with it or suffer the consequences.  

I could see that working with a SM-heavy force too, but again, you're counting on them not as major players, but as side shows.  

• Like 1

I need to check out the imp fists supplement!  I was using the default imp fists CT from the SM dex for re-rolling 1s, and that's pretty decent.

Straight up rerolls at half range is baller! Lose access to shield eternal tho. I've been running it with my drop pod marines and it has brought my killyness more in line with other forces.