Necron Noob - Flayers or Reapers?

Sgt. Rock

What it says on the tin. Just picked up some 'crons (courtesy of the inestimable @spagunk) and I don't know how to build out the warriors. My first instinct is to go for the Gauss Flayers, for the extra range, but the Reapers look spicy with the right dynasty (I'm looking at probably going either Nephrekh or custom.) Ideas? Opinions? Arguments and flame wars?

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/6/2021 at 4:44 PM, Sgt. Rock said:

What it says on the tin. Just picked up some 'crons (courtesy of the inestimable @spagunk) and I don't know how to build out the warriors. My first instinct is to go for the Gauss Flayers, for the extra range, but the Reapers look spicy with the right dynasty (I'm looking at probably going either Nephrekh or custom.) Ideas? Opinions? Arguments and flame wars?

I realized no one has responded to this yet.  In case you didn't build them yet...or want to buy more.  I've been running 20 of each.  I would say every stock dynasty except Sautekh wants reapers in 9th style missions.  When running 2-3 groups, I like to have one group of flayers for some range because it is hard to get 40-60 guys in range of something.

Why reapers?  A lot of fights happen at close range and the flayers want to be in rapid fire anyway. 

When are flayers better?  Sautekh or a custom that wants to take advantage of rapid fire rules OR you are custom building against a known list that you want to crush or a specific meta/group.  Something where moving to strength 5 and/or -2 AP doesn't matter.  A mass of slaanesh deamons, genestealers, and orks come to mind.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Good to know. I assembled one of the ten dudes already with a flayer, so I'll definitely have to bulk that squad up to 20, but I'll put reapers on the other squad I build. I'm probably going to get two full squads of Warriors and one of Immortals and call it for a while (I don't necessarily intend for this to be a big-time collection.)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...