Open Crusade! 2021

Lyraeus

It is that time. We are playing in person again and so I want to start an Open crusade! This is not going to have a time limit, this is not going to be hyper restrictive. It is a true Open Crusade. These are your games, your narrative, your fun. I just ask that you post about the games you play in this thread!

I will be using Administratum to track games and Order of Battle. It will seem like extra work but it will allow you to keep track of everything. You will need to create an account and I will have the invite link up once I finish this thread. 

Invite code is b88f0c638def4fa9b8eb6eda658b7bfd

Here are some base rules to make this interesting and not just a smash your face in.

• Game rules RAW, but uses points at 1:20 ratio 

• OOB should be registered on www.administratum.net and joined in the Ordo Open Crusade 2021

• Opponent select the 2 units they think had the most impact and you select which one gets Marked for Greatness.

• Upgrades MUST be rolled not chosen unless they are a mission reward. To roll, use 2 dice and re-roll doubles. Select one of the two results you do not currently have.  You may re-roll dice that are a duplicate upgrade, separate from this.

• Weapon upgrades are individual per weapon – but if multiple weapons on the model are the same (i.e lascannon on each sponson) then you may auto gain the same upgrade on the second one with the later upgrade instead of rolling it.

• Rules disputes should be rolled off then clarified after battle. Please post the questions here and they can be ruled on.

• Mission selection is from a list of 3 missions (one of each size) -players may select any of the three. I will be posting these matches every Monday as well as the point spread. Yes, there will be Combat Patrols that are up to 600-750pts or Strike Force that can be played up to 2500pts. You dont have to play at that amount but you can if your opponent wants to as well!

• You can request games here or in the Game night thread. If you do end up playing the same person twice, change up the mission size and points so that there is some difference in games.

• CP or points summoning not allowed unless both players agree to a mechanic for that game. (I have made a Compromise on this. You can use the Summoning rules but it follows Reinforcement Points rules, so you need to set aside points to use for summoning. PLEASE do not abuse this)

• White Dwarf relics and crusade campaign book relics (such as Beyond the Veil, Plague Purge, etc) will be locked into special events using them.

• You do have access to Battle Honors and Weapon Upgrades in campaign books as long as they are not Campaign locked. Examples of this are War Zone Charadon or Piety and Pain has Battle Honors locked behind the campaign so they are options for you.

• CATCH UP MECHANIC: If your opponent fields 6 or more Crusade Levels than you, you may allocate an extra Marked for greatness at the end. In addition. for every 6 Crusade Levels more your opponent has fielded than you, your units gain an extra xp for the battle.       (i.e 0-5 difference is 1xp as normal per unit, 6-11 the underdog gets 2xp per unit, 12-17 the underdog gets 3xp per unit, etc.)

This is a bit of rules but they are there to help keep things moving. The Catch up Mechanic is there to help new people who come in to play or those who cant get a game in as often. 

Remember you can with your opponents permission play your crusade force against those who don't want to play a Crusade game. Just get their permission and let them know you have some special things outside a normal game!

Here are some extra Agenda's. These are from the Beyond the Veil book(let)

Week 8 Games:

Combat Patrol: Max 750pts, 1 Patrol Detachment, 1 Agenda

image.thumb.png.2e25e69060f967a8e3b18de3811f7925.png

Mission Link

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Incursion: 500-1250pt, Max 2 Detachments, 2 Agendas

image.thumb.png.f9497191816ca2ba5f9f01dbe6528458.png

Mission Link

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Strike Force: 1200-2000pts, 3 Detachments, 3 Agenda's

image.thumb.png.71779b41ffb2ef8895575f0cca3e1ccb.png

Mission Link

• Like 4

For those who have created an account, here is my Dark Hydra Raiding Party for my Drukhar this will give you an example on how things look

Week 1 Games for those who want to make up a game:

Combat Patrol: Max 600pts, 1 Patrol Detachment, 1 Agenda

image.thumb.png.3e7514c3d924562e7bb21b5d09a2c082.png

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Incursion: 500-1200pt, Max 2 Detachments, 2 Agendas

image.thumb.png.7b218670e5ef6e4ecd8f6d22fe720ed5.png

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Strike Force: 1100-2000pts, 3 Detachments, 3 Agenda's

image.thumb.png.e62f05da5c4d4bbbfeb126b9be15dd5a.png

Week 2 Games:

Combat Patrol: Max 600pts, 1 Patrol Detachment, 1 Agenda

image.thumb.png.7d90d9dafb2fbf3c33b084ab4dff785b.png

Incursion: 500-1200pt, Max 2 Detachments, 2 Agendas

image.thumb.png.1b5d83c1880e9370f241934ec17f644b.png

Strike Force: 1100-2000pts, 3 Detachments, 3 Agenda's

image.thumb.png.c3beffbda905b729ae8635068fc553a0.png

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mustache Dorn said:

Never mind. Figured it out. Coming out of the plague and not having played in a year this seems like a great way to wade back in. What’s the timeframe you expect this to run, or is it really open ended?

This particular one will be open ended. 

I will be adding campaigns throughout this that will allow you to bring the same Order of Battle from this into those allowing you to get relics from the pariah nexus and the like so you can grow and expand the same Order of Battle, OR if you are feeling adventurous, you can start a new Order of battle for those and bring it into this and have 2. 

This is your narrative for your force. 

I suspect you figured out I spend 2 RP on expanding my Supply Limit which is 1 Requisition Point (RP) for 100 extra points to my Supply. 

You start with 5 RP and can spend them on things like warlord traits, relics, etc

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Lyraeus said:

I will note that it looks like you didnt add any wargear or rules to them so that might mess with you later on but we shall see. 

Thanks. Still getting used to Administratum and still have a bunch to flesh out. Army is in Battlescribe now so need to port over wargear, but will work on it this week along with unit names and fluff.

• Like 1

On 4/7/2021 at 4:53 PM, Lyraeus said:

CP or points summoning not allowed unless both players agree to a mechanic for that game.

Can you expand on this a bit more. I'm thinking of going with Chaos Marines and have models for summoning deamons. So is this a blanket "cannot summon units" rule? or does it mean something else. I'm new to 9th and crusade.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mustache Dorn said:

Thanks. Still getting used to Administratum and still have a bunch to flesh out. Army is in Battlescribe now so need to port over wargear, but will work on it this week along with unit names and fluff.

Careful. When you change the wargear on units it will automatically use up your Requisition Points. To avoid this you will want to delete the unit and remake it with all of its trimmings and fixings

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Brother Glacius said:

Can you expand on this a bit more. I'm thinking of going with Chaos Marines and have models for summoning deamons. So is this a blanket "cannot summon units" rule? or does it mean something else. I'm new to 9th and crusade.

So summoning can quickly break the game if we are not careful as it can be totally free units or free kills. 

If who you are playing against is ok with you playing with Summoning (@Salty Monkey, since I sense you moving to Chaos this counts for you too) then you should use the Matched Play rules for summoning so have points set aside from your normal list. 

So in a 1k game you could bring 750pts and have 250pts open for summoning if your opponent is ok with it. 

• Like 1

if that is the case, is it really worth it to have summoning? As I understand it, it isn't guaranteed for multiple reasons. Your character could get killed who can summon and you can fail the summoning roll (or even kill your summoner with perils). Not only that, but with chaos, you have psychic powers that affect summoning as well, which means they become useless too. 

It just amazes me because I am a long time undead player for WFB and no one ever thought summoning was broken in that game.

So basically, I'm taking points away from my force on the table for the possibility of having them appear later with the risk of them not coming on at all, and severely limiting my options of what I summon, and in the context of a Crusade, having points that can't ever benefit from advancements. If that is all accurate, then I'll skip summoning.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Brother Glacius said:

if that is the case, is it really worth it to have summoning? As I understand it, it isn't guaranteed for multiple reasons. Your character could get killed who can summon and you can fail the summoning roll (or even kill your summoner with perils). Not only that, but with chaos, you have psychic powers that affect summoning as well, which means they become useless too. 

Its a balancing mechanic. What would prevent you from summoning a Greater Demon T1 while hiding behind some Obscuring ruins so nothing can shoot you? 

• Like 1

To my understanding, the risks/costs are as follows:

I'm giving up movement of that character. So yes, they could become a summoning machine, but they aren't going to do anything else. Also, the summoned unit appears within a limited distance of the summoner. So if I'm hiding that character somewhere so that he can't get shot, then the range of his summoning is going to be restricted. 

The random dice roll determines failure and degree of success. So yes, you may want to summon that GD, but perhaps you don't roll well enough to do so? Not only that, but max of 3d6 using ritual summoning and odds are you don't get that GD (min 12 needed). Any double or triple could end up killing said character

Otherwise you need to succeed on a psychic test to attempt another summon and while less risky in terms of harming your character, still not guaranteed to get what you want.

There seems to be lots of avenues for failures with the added risk of killing off your own character.

I also do understand the concern that a player could totally abuse those rules in order to spam deamons across the table. 

That being said, if I have to pay for summoned deamons in my army, then their cost increases beyond their points due to the risks involved. That doesn't sound very balanced. In a Crusade situation, I'm also losing advancement for those units.

In light of that perhaps something can be found more in the middle. Maybe limit summoning to a single unit from a character at a time. Until that unit is wiped out, then the character can't summon anything else.

Or perhaps summoning units will have some negative impact on the rewards for an army, or perhaps the XP for a character? Maybe it costs XP to summon? 

Small community, just have a "don't be a dick about it" policy. This is supposed to be for fun and enjoyment of all involved.

Just tossing out some options to make summoning viable without being crippling or dickish.

49 minutes ago, Brother Glacius said:

I'm giving up movement of that character. So yes, they could become a summoning machine, but they aren't going to do anything else. Also, the summoned unit appears within a limited distance of the summoner. So if I'm hiding that character somewhere so that he can't get shot, then the range of his summoning is going to be restricted. 

The random dice roll determines failure and degree of success. So yes, you may want to summon that GD, but perhaps you don't roll well enough to do so? Not only that, but max of 3d6 using ritual summoning and odds are you don't get that GD (min 12 needed). Any double or triple could end up killing said character

Otherwise you need to succeed on a psychic test to attempt another summon and while less risky in terms of harming your character, still not guaranteed to get what you want.

There seems to be lots of avenues for failures with the added risk of killing off your own character.

I also do understand the concern that a player could totally abuse those rules in order to spam deamons across the table. 

That being said, if I have to pay for summoned deamons in my army, then their cost increases beyond their points due to the risks involved. That doesn't sound very balanced. In a Crusade situation, I'm also losing advancement for those units.

In light of that perhaps something can be found more in the middle. Maybe limit summoning to a single unit from a character at a time. Until that unit is wiped out, then the character can't summon anything else.

Or perhaps summoning units will have some negative impact on the rewards for an army, or perhaps the XP for a character? Maybe it costs XP to summon? 

Small community, just have a "don't be a dick about it" policy. This is supposed to be for fun and enjoyment of all involved.

Just tossing out some options to make summoning viable without being crippling or dickish.

Sure but what stops you from taking cheapy character you dont care about and getting 300pts of free models with no real repercussions and now your opponent is playing 1k vs your 1300?

I am not saying you cant do this you just have to clear it with your opponent 

54 minutes ago, Brother Glacius said:

Remember summoning is just 3d6 and then you pick what is being summoned. You dont need to pick then make the attempt. 

14 minutes ago, Lyraeus said:

I am not saying you cant do this you just have to clear it with your opponent 

Well actually, in the very first post you said no to summoning unless opponent agreed, and then use the system where you pay for summoned units out of your army allowance. So did I misunderstand? is it you can always use the "buy summoned units" system, or if you opponent allows, use the normal rules?

As I pointed out, paying for summoned units is not balanced. I could pay for a unit of 30 deamonettes, but then not get the roll to ever put them on the table. So not only did I just lose those points in my army, but the character who made those attempts gave up movement and risked wounds. So I get to fight with 820 pts vs his 1000pts.

Hence the request for a more middle ground approach. I don't want to make a game unfun for my opponent, but also don't want to hamstring my own list. I'd rather have a single ruleset so that its easier to maintain the list than to have to have to worry about managing two lists.

1 minute ago, Brother Glacius said:

Well actually, in the very first post you said no to summoning unless opponent agreed, and then use the system where you pay for summoned units out of your army allowance. So did I misunderstand? is it you can always use the "buy summoned units" system, or if you opponent allows, use the normal rules?

As I pointed out, paying for summoned units is not balanced. I could pay for a unit of 30 deamonettes, but then not get the roll to ever put them on the table. So not only did I just lose those points in my army, but the character who made those attempts gave up movement and risked wounds. So I get to fight with 820 pts vs his 1000pts.

Hence the request for a more middle ground approach. I don't want to make a game unfun for my opponent, but also don't want to hamstring my own list. I'd rather have a single ruleset so that its easier to maintain the list than to have to have to worry about managing two lists.

To use the summoning rules you have to get permission from your opponent. 

When you set aside the points you dont select the unit you are setting them aside for. If you set aside enough points for 30 demonettes but never roll for that many you can always get smaller units. 

Ok, I will compromise. You can do summoning but its still reinforcement points. This gives you an advantage as you can play at a higher point game against people while not having enough points in your supply for that but it is fine. 

3 hours ago, Lyraeus said:

To use the summoning rules you have to get permission from your opponent. 

When you set aside the points you dont select the unit you are setting them aside for. If you set aside enough points for 30 demonettes but never roll for that many you can always get smaller units. 

Ok, I will compromise. You can do summoning but its still reinforcement points. This gives you an advantage as you can play at a higher point game against people while not having enough points in your supply for that but it is fine. 

ok Im not taking Chaos cuz....my mind is chaos lol

🙂