My OFCC Lizardmen list

wow, this list gets a near 4 rating critic and the choas dwarf list (relatively close with 3 montster and around 40 shots, different approach to point denial) is looked upon favorably? I will forever wonder at how the rating committee will do there job.

that being said I've given up on tryin to suggestively "comp" a list and would advocate for a more standard method of coming to a collective 3. but that's a post for another time.

40 shots vs 40 shots with poison.  Also totally different units in regards to how they would be played/engaged in combat.  I would prefer to face the 40 CDs vs the 4 units of skinks...

This list is fine in my opinion.

This is exactly why the ratings are done by a group of individuals, instead of just one or two people.  What somebody sees as insanely powerful, another might see as balanced.   Personally I think this list is fine, maybe a 3.4 tops.  It competes in every phase, but is not super strong in magic or shooting.   Yes, I know that 40 skinks can do a lot of poison damage, but they are skinks...look at them hard enough and they explode.

• Like 1

This is exactly why the ratings are done by a group of individuals, instead of just one or two people.  What somebody sees as insanely powerful, another might see as balanced.   Personally I think this list is fine, maybe a 3.4 tops.  It competes in every phase, but is not super strong in magic or shooting.   Yes, I know that 40 skinks can do a lot of poison damage, but they are skinks...look at them hard enough and they explode.

I also fail to see what the "fear" of the skinks are. Lets look at the OP skinks for a little bit. They are BS 3 Str 3 with a 12" range. This means that anything over 6" inches is long range. 

So in the OP's list he has 40 skinks, lets say all 40 target a standard monster that has a 5+ armor save with a T of 5. All 40 can move and shoot with no penalty (since he has javelins) but its still very hard to get within 6" inches of something so most likely they will be long range. 1/3 of the shots hit (13) hits. 2 of the 13 will be poisoned, 2 more will wound, the monster will save 1 of the 4 so it will take 3 Total wounds on average. This is from 280pts worth of shooting against a 5+ save. 

So in comparison with Chaos Dwarves (i'm not trying to pick on anyone it was brought up in this thread already i could use any armies core shooting). 

So trying to mathhammer this out (please correct me if i'm wrong as i dont have the book i'm just looking at forum posts for pts and stats), i'm seeing that 280 pts of chaos dwarves with fireglaives is 17 dwarves. The fireglaive is a str 4 AP, x 2 weapon. So the dwaves would get 34 shots. 1/3 of them would hit due to multishot (11 hits). 3.5 would wound. .5 would be saved. The dwarves cause 3 Total wounds on average. 

Now for fun, do a chaff unit of say elf reavers into the skinks with javelins vs into the CS dwarves. 

TLDR: Lizardmen core poison shooting is not very strong. Please be lenient when judging the lizards, this book edition is no where close to as strong as the last edition. 

Your math is wrong.

If only 1/3 hit, that's 5's and 6's, of which 1/2 of those should be statistically 6's.  Thus, in your example, 13 hit, but 6.5 are poision.  and only 1.083 are additional wounds making 7.583 wounds.  of which 1/3 save (2.578 saved) making 5.055 unsaved wounds.  That's enough to kill most big monsters. And if not, enough to scare it royally.

Keep in mind the skirmish skinks get to march and shoot as well...

That said, I usually deal with skinks alright.  Its just I end up having to focus them down and thus the rest of the stuff gets me lol....

Your math is wrong.

If only 1/3 hit, that's 5's and 6's, of which 1/2 of those should be statistically 6's.  Thus, in your example, 13 hit, but 6.5 are poision.  and only 1.083 are additional wounds making 7.583 wounds.  of which 1/3 save (2.578 saved) making 5.055 unsaved wounds.  That's enough to kill most big monsters. And if not, enough to scare it royally.

Keep in mind the skirmish skinks get to march and shoot as well...

That said, I usually deal with skinks alright.  Its just I end up having to focus them down and thus the rest of the stuff gets me lol....

And you are right, whoops sorry about that. Well crap, how come my skinks never do that good vs monsters? :)

The Cohort skinks have missile weapons as well. I'm assuming blowpipes as it doesn't say javelins (which is an even swap points-wise). Either way that is 10 more poisoned shots if javelins, 20 more potentially if blowpipes.

I concede to both of your points, it is a lot of poisoned shooting. I'm running a similar list in the sparkle party deathmatch for really the sole purpose of redirects, i wasn't paying attention to the monster shredding aspect. I guess the only question I would have is would having two units of skirmishers and two units of 20 cohorts be okay? Or else we are limited to just saurus for core. (swarms also have poison). 

Hold on here.  The main thing you all missed is that you are pretty much putting every poison shot in a monster in 1 turn.  At least from the two examples above.  How often is that going to happen?  I would love to see that many skinks surrounding a monster for all that poison.  Besides, if all that shooting was wasted on shooting down a monster, there's going to be a lot of charges in the favor the monster packing army and either the skinks go running and start panicing most of the army or they get charged and the enemy starts to grind it out and not allow the casters or other shooters to do much to them for most of the game.

Why is everyone so afraid of skinks?