The Dandythrong's Dandy OFCC Prep

For OFCC this year I really wanted to finish up and paint my demons, but due to a neck and arm injury I just haven't had it in me for any burst or long-haul painting. Originally I was disheartened and wondered whether I'd have to drop out, but I've decided to instead try my hand at something I've never been great at: just a few hours of painting each day. To this end I'm sprucing up my dwarf army.

My current dwarf army was painted for a Seattle tournament, SPDM2, I think around six months ago. Originally I planned to run my demons there as well, but the project had really just begun and I didn't want to rush it. At that time I planned to just run my Dark Elves like I had at the first SPDM, but then one of my friends mailed me his old dwarf army to mess around with pretty much out of the blue. Considering how small dwarfs are and how easily they paint up I threw caution to the wind and speed painted the army. In ten days I built (almost) all the models, made custom bases, built a display board, and painted (almost) the whole thing. The only parts I didn't do right there were the twenty one-armed warriors, Organ Gun, and Grudge Thrower I had painted for my buddy some eight years ago. I was rather proud of the effort, but more in terms of how well it went given the time frame and I knew the army would need some love in the future.

This brings us to current day where I'm again planning to pilot dwarfs in an event, but this time I won't be satisfied with a half-assed finished product. Sure they might not be the best examples of painting acumen, but these dwarfs will no longer languish in their speed painted state. No, we will pick out all the details, clean up all the hurried airbrush overspray, and even throw in some new models just to make things interesting. To this end I'm hoping to keep this painting log up to help document some of the progress (especially considering very few locals are interested in looking at WHFB models).

The list:

Blossombeard Dandyface (Lord): Rune of Might; Rune of Iron; Rune of Fortitude; 3 Runes of Warding; shield; Shieldbearers

Copperbrow Dandyface (Runesmith): Rune of Spellbreaking; Fiery Ring of Thori; Rune of Stone; shield

Dandyfriend Thorlakson (Runesmith): Rune of Spellbreaking; Rune of the Furnace; shield

Honeybristle Dandyface (Thane): shield; battle standard (Master Rune of Grungni)

Stubblepetal Dandyface (Master Engineer): great weapon

26 Longbeards: musician; standard bearer (Rune of Stoicism)

29 Quarrellers: great weapons; Veteran; musician; standard bearer

23 Slayers: standard bearer

Gyrocopter

Gyrocopter

Cannon: Rune of Forging

Grudge Thrower: Rune of Forging

10 Miners: Prospector (steam drill); standard bearer

Organ Gun: Rune of Accuracy

Truthsayer: Level 3 Wizard; Lore of Breasts

2,797 points

Out of this list, the only things without a lick of paint on them are the miners, one of the Runesmiths, and the Truthsayer. The Runesmith and miners I have built (just the old BfSP set with a converted champion), but the Truthsayer I haven't quite landed on a plan yet. I'm tempted to make some sort of feral dwarf because screw humans being the only Truthsayers. I remember my Albion (sort of) and I can't think of anything more anachronistic than an old dwarfen wizard.

As for the updated paint jobs, they're unnecessary for the BSB and the lord as they were done decently enough while the currently-painted Runesmith would need a dip to fix. The engineer is a recently finished model (that I totally painted without knowing how the new book changed him which forced a quick swap from an Irondrake unit to the Organ Gun currently present) along with the cannon and Organ Gun.

I've spent a fair amount of time fixing up the Slayers so far as they were likely the unit that needed the most work, but I can't find any of my oil paints I need to finish the job. The oils are necessary because I need to do an oil wash to shade down the airbrushed skin I did the first time around. The skin currently looks fine, but definitely needs a greater gradient and increased tonal contrast to make the clothing and flesh pull apart. I'll likely head down to my local art store and pick up some van dyke brown this weekend to finish them up.

This leaves us (mostly) with the warriors. Ranks upon ranks upon ranks of warriors. As I did a rather poor job of differentiating between warrior and Longbeard last time around, I'm thinking I'll paint up some of those little masks the 6th ed plastics came with along with maybe throwing a bit more flourish into their scheme. I'm honestly dreading this the most as bringing these guys up will just be a Godd*mn time vampire that I know I will get too involved in. The Grudge Thrower is another one of those super old paint jobs that I'll likely just paint over considering how easily that can be done. With that my check list is over and I've now received that special feeling of accomplishment that can only be achieved by talking about work you're going to do (or, you know, actually doing the work). I'll probably have some crappy phone pictures up this weekend and hopefully some non-phone pictures sometime next week. Time to get crackin'!

• Like 1

Here are a few simple phone pictures just to make sure I have some before images. The only things not getting changed at all are the three characters while the rest still have a fair amount of work to be done.

Lord:

tWhTp7yl.jpg

Nothing too complex here. The lighting and general awful resolution of my camera aside, I'm happy with the lord as he stands.

Engineer and BSB:

bZvClHIl.jpg

These guys are pretty much the same as the lord. I'd like to give them a bit fancier of basing, but otherwise I'm happy enough with how they turned out.

Longbeards:

TfOl9GNl.jpg

The Longbeards will likely see the most work done. Most of the unit was done up about eight years ago at this point and I need to better differentiate them from standard warriors. Once I find them, I'll likely add those tiny masks to them to just help accomplish my goal (and cover up those terrible paint jobs).

Quarrelers:

mudnw2Tl.jpg

Besides a quick paint update, these guys mostly need their actual crossbows to be finished. I'll probably just cut apart some Dark Elf crossbows I have laying around and mix them with dwarf bits, but we'll see. The key is that they need to be removable so the unit can be run as Quarrelers or simple Warriors.

• Like 1

PART TWO:

Warmachines:

geuBVZfl.jpg

mo6Fefll.jpg

sYQrKgKl.jpg

All of these machines are done with the exception of a few crew and some fancy basing. The images don't show it well, but there is a lot of color variation in the metals to break up the monotone of the model. The Organ Gun and (not pictured) Grudge Thrower are old paint jobs so they're a little rougher in the metal application compared to the cannon and the newer Organ Gun, but they're not so bad that I feel the need to dip them.

Gyros:

k2xxcoOl.jpg

As much as I love the current gyro models, $35 a pop is a little much for how little time they spend alive on the field. I might give them a bit more painting love, but the main goal will be to update their bases to, well, be not piles of poop.

Slayers:

1ViBFZnl.jpg

While you can't make out the hair highlights very well, you can see the work let to be done on the skin. The shading is a little light (and highlighting too nonexistent), but I'll fix that up soon enough and then go through for the smaller details like eyes.

• Like 1

Grudgethrower:

Y51a069l.jpg

Did some work on the ol' Grudgethrower tonight. Still need to hit the black with some highlights, but I'm happy with the rest. Biggest problem is the crew are looking a little...dated. Maybe I'll give them an update, but I really need to make some bases for the machines before I give a sh*t.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Did a bit more work tonight on the Longbeards.  After about an hour spent updating the paint a bit, I decided to call it quits as the changes will likely end up subtle and lugubrious.  Maybe things will be better once I get a better feel for how the final update will look.

I've also begun futzing around with my Warpfire Dragon (a counts-as model more befitting of a dwarf), but nothing is really clicking so far.  Hopefully it's just the malaise from a 4th I only remember parts of and not that my idea outstrips my abilities.

• 2 weeks later...

A bit of an update on what I've spent the lion's share of my hobby time recently (well, except for commission work I suppose).  Here is the SS Warp Dragon:

th86FM1l.jpg

As most dwarf players were, I was very disappointed that they received no big kit with the new book.  Taking things into my own hands I decided to make a blimp to use in tournaments allowing Storm of Magic.  Right now he's a Warpfire Dragon, but there are other possibilities.

Dude. Bro. That looks awesome. Let's see it painted!

Painting has already started!  The more eagle eyed among you may have noticed that the pilot and his trusty bellows are already pretty close to done (I'm doing all the weathering at the same time), but I've now begun painting the craft itself.  The balloon will receive an airbrushing to get started and I've decided to just hand paint the howdah.  Still blocking in colors to figure things out as I know what the balloon's hue will be (a green from P3 called Traitorous Green) and want the rest to compliment without overpowering the lower chroma balloon.  Most of the boat will be a highlighted black-to-blue as no self respecting dwarf is going to have a wooden blimp.

cdlib2Kl.png

khUWaiAl.png

Here are some pictures after working on the balloon proper today.  Still not 100% there on as it needs a bit more highlighting on the banding, the rope isn't painted, and of course none of the freehand work has been started.  Still pretty happy with it especially with no airbrush to help out (painting cardboard is a b!tch with just a brush).

lW4Lb38.png?1

rg5Wwis.png?1

tONkXzy.png?1