Where do y'all buy paints in the PDX area?

CookieCat

7 hours ago, Torg said:

Guardian Games in Portland used to have a pretty large selection as well last time I was in there.

-d

Yes, Guardian Games carries the full line of GW and Army Painter paints, along with some Wizkids and Turbo Dork. I usually buy paint there, as the store is only a few blocks from the Ordo clubhouse. Sometimes though, they have run out of a specific color (Black, certain washes) and it might take up to two months for them to restock it. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 6/14/2023 at 9:21 AM, CookieCat said:

I'm wanting to get back into mini painting, but currently will be starting from zero. I'm partial to Vallejo Game Colors if there's a place that sells those.

Tammies Hobbies has some, and Rune & board has the ones they lack. They can both order most of the colors, but it's nice to have them in stock.

In particular, the heavy opaque and "game color" are rune and board, while the "model color" is more abundant at tammies. I go to both shops, for my vallejo paints.

Amazon exists too, but it's a tricky one because amazon often doesn't do combined shipping, so 10 paints can be like $80+ because they include the shipping within the prime prices (so it's like $8+ each paint pot). On the other hand, amazon often has a good deal for paint "sets" like if you want any of the vallejo mass produced bundles where you get one of each.

• 2 months later...

My main sources:

• Gongaii Games (Beaverton) - Monument Hobbies Pro Acryl, small stock of other brands.   I was very excited to find these locally.
  • Tammies Hobbies (Beaverton) - full inventory of AK and Vallejo.   Lots of other scale model paints like Tamiya.
  • Gaurdian Games (Portland and Aloha) - GW and Army Painter.    The one downtown Portland usually has better inventory over the one in Aloha (aka Rainy Day Games)

The main brands I use (in order or preference) are Pro Acryl, AK 3rd gen, and Army Paint Fanatic.

Edited by Kelbesq
comma
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/2/2024 at 7:10 PM, Brother Glacius said:

any stores out there that have military colors in spray cans? I used to be able to get them from bridgetown hobbies, but they don't exist anymore.

My guess would be tammies, and they've somewhat gone online, so you can browse their paint inventory online to see if they have what you need: https://www.tammieshobbies.com/collections/paint-2-0

Downtown hillsboro also has a shop that reminds me of a less friendly bridgetown. Looks like they are online too, with similar inventory as tammies. I don't really go to this one, as hillsboro downtown is kinda weird (tourist area with no bathrooms and every store's employees seem preoccupied about shoplifters). https://hillsborohobbyshop.com/collections/paint

You might also try NAPA. Some of the automotive paints are good for minis, and others are not, so research/experimentation is required. I will attest that NAPA usually has fresh spray cans, unlike fred meyer. Military colors seems like something NAPA would stock. NAPA is also really easy to find on google maps, they're everywhere.