allies and unbound

I believe it's an either/or.

Your list is either unbound or battle forged.

If unbound, take anything from any source, nominate one character as your warlord and his army is your primary (for determining who is battle bros, desperate, etc.)

If you're trying to get the bonuses from a Cad all your models need to fit into a detachment or formation.

We're talk about allies and this came up.

Can your ally detachment be unbound?

Strange question.

Basically, unbound means we ditched the FOC and codex restrictions and are bringing whatever regardless of point costs. Basically apocalypse without the apocalypse supplement.

Bound is using the FOC, points, detachments and such to limit/direct list construction.

So the question doesn't really have an answer because it doesn't apply. I suppose the answer is: no, you can't have part of the list bound and part of the list unbound via traditional rules. You could house rule it, but I'm not sure why you'd want to have part of the army restricted and part of it limitless.

EDIT: I think the main point of Unbound is so new players can play with whatever they've bought, which allows GW to say a tactical squad, in example, includes a complete army for [unbound] 40k. Though I have encountered players that just like to play and really don't care about list construction at all...

To be battleforged (which is the only way to gain command benefits) is for all of your models to be in detachments. Formations (which are defined as special detachments) can be taken in either type and get their bonus rules. If you really wanted to you could follow the ally detachment in an unbound list but there is no point.

The objective secured rule everybody keeps going on about is technically a command benefit.