Excited about the dwarfs

So each time I look through the army lists, I'm discovering things. There are 20+ years of assumptions built into my brain about these armies, and WtoW has really done a good job I think of changing things up in small but important ways.

Like someone pointed out that dwarf hammerers don't have the Always Strike Last rule. That is huge. An actual hammer unit that isn't always going to go last. One little change but has a huge impact on that unit.

So that got me looking for more hidden nuggets....like Ironbreakers have the regiment rule...and iron drakes have the detachment rule. Another minor change that has some interesting results.

Being able to get the Drilled rule on units is important as well. In the case where movement is critical, they start in march columns to get that little extra movement at the start of the game and then pop to combat columns without cost. I know it doesn't seem like much, but when your move is 3", marching for 9 is a big deal.

How about rangers having skirmish and open order, so they can snag ranks if they want to, even in terrain. Although that did strike me as odd. Skirmishers don't get any extra movement. So while flexible in which way they move, their distance is capped at 2xM. But open and closed units can get 3xM when in march column.

Here's one for discussion. The Anvil of Doom is a warmachine. Can it take engineering runes? There are two that could benefit it....one grants it heavy cover, the other gives it +1 combat result in melee. Technically I don't see why not. Engineering runes have the requirement that they are only for warmachine units...

• Like 2

Dwarves are interesting...  Still didn't manage to make my first-tier list for collecting but as always they are up near the top.

The extension of Regiment/Detachment rules to Dwarves is certainly interesting (TK light chariots also got shared around a bit).

I'd kinda like to paint up some Dwarves myself but I need to get a couple of other armies that are more to my playstyle set up first.

13 hours ago, Brother Glacius said:

So each time I look through the army lists, I'm discovering things. There are 20+ years of assumptions built into my brain about these armies, and WtoW has really done a good job I think of changing things up in small but important ways.

Like someone pointed out that dwarf hammerers don't have the Always Strike Last rule. That is huge. An actual hammer unit that isn't always going to go last. One little change but has a huge impact on that unit.

So that got me looking for more hidden nuggets....like Ironbreakers have the regiment rule...and iron drakes have the detachment rule. Another minor change that has some interesting results.

Being able to get the Drilled rule on units is important as well. In the case where movement is critical, they start in march columns to get that little extra movement at the start of the game and then pop to combat columns without cost. I know it doesn't seem like much, but when your move is 3", marching for 9 is a big deal.

How about rangers having skirmish and open order, so they can snag ranks if they want to, even in terrain. Although that did strike me as odd. Skirmishers don't get any extra movement. So while flexible in which way they move, their distance is capped at 2xM. But open and closed units can get 3xM when in march column.

Here's one for discussion. The Anvil of Doom is a warmachine. Can it take engineering runes? There are two that could benefit it....one grants it heavy cover, the other gives it +1 combat result in melee. Technically I don't see why not. Engineering runes have the requirement that they are only for warmachine units...

I played a game with the anvil and it put in work against Bretonnia.  27" magic missile was insane, the ironbreakers were unkillable, and you can also give it 3 auto dispel runes.  Bolt thrower with the no armor save rune was great as well.

Rangers are incredible.  Skirmishers change charging in such a unique way.  They proved problematic for my opponent as I used scout to put them in range to shoot what I wanted with the crossbows and used the terrain to discourage charges.  They are -1 to hit and decent toughness against weak shooting and they can still have great weapons for hitting power.