Identifying tags

I have a couple issues; I have a bunch of second hand models I have bought from a variety of sources and do not recognize the weapons on sight. I probably do not help the situation by having 7 fantasy armies I use and having models for 7 40K armies as well...I just had to look online for a couple minutes to figure out what those two Hammerheads w/out guns were (Devilfish. Go go gadget Google-fu)

Upshot is, I have been trying to figure out how to make it easy for the ignorant (read "for me) to remember what a model is or has so I do not have a repeat of the first game I played where what I thought was twin-linked lascannon was twin-link Multi-melta and where the Grey Hunters with Melta guns were actually modeled with Plasma guns...sorry about that guys. 

How distracting would you find it to see models with what they have labeled on the base with a label-maker? usually the base is just black paint, but i don't want to ugly up the board for the opponent. I tried writing it in pencil, that did not work. Planning some stuff for the underside of the base so that is also not super...other ideas?

Pretre, yeah, not so much for during the game but more for when I am sitting there trying to put a list together and figure out what I have...I don't recognize them on sight so end up flipping through books trying to match them up to pictures and sadly getting that wrong on occasion.

where the definition of "on occasion" is about 40%...