Pretre's Ordo Open Lists - 1850

pretre

Okay, so let's start it out with a silly little number called High AV Overload (Similar to my theme for last year)

UGH THIS LIST IS ILLEGAL.

Uriah Jacobus
3 Priests (Litanies, 2 Power Mauls)

BSS (5) with Flamer/MM in Repressor

BSS (20) with HF/Flamer

Dominions (7) with 4 Melta, Simulacrum in Repressor

Exorcist
Exorcist

The Steel Host
Pask in Exterminator (HB Sponsons)
Exterminator with HB Sponsons

Battle Tank

Executioner with Plasma Sponsons

Hydra

Jacobus and the blob are a bit out of place with the theme but the problem with SOB is all your HQ's / Warlords want a big unit. I guess I could put Uriah with Retributors and a Fort...

I could be wrong, but I thought the Steel Host required more than just one tank in each of the squads?

Also, remember that Formations do not change what Battlefield Role (or, in older parlance, FoC slot) a unit occupies. A Leman Russ is still a Heavy Support unit even if you didn't take it as part of a CAD or Allied Detachment.

I could be wrong, but I thought the Steel Host required more than just one tank in each of the squads?

Also, remember that Formations do not change what Battlefield Role (or, in older parlance, FoC slot) a unit occupies. A Leman Russ is still a Heavy Support unit even if you didn't take it as part of a CAD or Allied Detachment.

Steel Host is:

1 Tank Commander (and his boys)

2 LR Squadrons (Which are 1-3 right?) EDIT: 3 LR Squadrons

1 Hydra

And agh, they do maintain 'Battlefield Role'. I'll be bleeding heavies. lol

Other thoughts?

The Battle Tank is pretty useless compared to the other variants- I would recommend dropping it in favor of something else. Some Ignores Cover might be nice in the form of an Eradicator, or you could get one of the other variants if you pleased. I'm not a fan of HBs on the Exterminator- I'd rather go with MMs to sync up better with the main role of your primary gun. Find points for Dozer Blades on the squads- 5pts to not get stuck and lose one of those all-important hull points is really useful.

Three Priests plus Jacobus seems like you're investing an unnecessary amount into Team Girl Squad, and I don't think the Mauls and such are really changing their threat profile much. I can see running Jacobus, even maybe another Priest (as you're absolutely right about the focus of SoB HQ units), but the two others just seem extravagant in a list that is rather tight on points already. I dunno, I might just take the hit and bring a bare-minimum HQ and save all the points to spend on more tough tanks.

The Battle Tank is pretty useless compared to the other variants- I would recommend dropping it in favor of something else. Some Ignores Cover might be nice in the form of an Eradicator, or you could get one of the other variants if you pleased. I'm not a fan of HBs on the Exterminator- I'd rather go with MMs to sync up better with the main role of your primary gun. Find points for Dozer Blades on the squads- 5pts to not get stuck and lose one of those all-important hull points is really useful.

Three Priests plus Jacobus seems like you're investing an unnecessary amount into Team Girl Squad, and I don't think the Mauls and such are really changing their threat profile much. I can see running Jacobus, even maybe another Priest (as you're absolutely right about the focus of SoB HQ units), but the two others just seem extravagant in a list that is rather tight on points already. I dunno, I might just take the hit and bring a bare-minimum HQ and save all the points to spend on more tough tanks.

Hmm. Eradicator is actually cheaper. Why not HB on the Exterminators? They're anti-infantry/light vehicles. And Pask gets rending. Check on dozers!

Dropped a maul. The three priests are to make sure I get the two good acts and one smash off. Additionally, the squad is so I can get maelstrom points for assault (which is otherwise impossible) along with providing bubblewrap/tar pit and center of board control.

How about this?

Jacobus

3 Priests (Litanies, Power Maul)

BSS (20) Melta/HF

Dominions (6) 4 Melta, Simulacrum, in Repressor

Exorcist

Exorcist

Steel Host

Pask Exterminator with HB Sponsons, Dozer

Executioner with Plasma Sponsons, Dozer

Eradicator with Dozer and HB Sponsons (Or Multi-melta?)

Demolisher with Dozer

Hydra

Also, if I want to just say screw it and go pure AM:

Steel Host

Command: Commander in Executioner with Plasma and Dozer

Command:Exterminator with MM Spon and Dozer

Squad 1: Demolisher with Dozer

Squad 2: Eradicator with HB (or MM) Spon and Dozer

Squad 3: Eradicator with HB (or MM) Spon and Dozer

Hydra

AM CAD

Pask with Exterminator, HB Spon, Dozer

Exterminator with HB (or MM) Spon and Dozer

Vet with Autocannon and Chimera

Vet with 2 Melta

Manticore

Vendetta

1860 Darn.

Fixed Steel Host. Not so happy with this, although 7 russes is pretty funny.

Argh.

Hmm.

Canoness with Combi

BSS (5) with Repressor FF/MM

BSS (5) with Repressor FF/MM

Dom (6) with Repressor, 4 Melta, 1 Simulacrum

Steel Host

Command: Pask with HB, Dozer

Command:Executioner with Plasma, Dozer

Squad 1: Eradicator x2 with Dozer

Squad 2: Demolisher x2 with Dozer

Squad 3: Exterminator with MM Sponsons

Hydra

1843. Ugh, I don't like it.

Traditional mixed mech SOBs. Bastion provides rerolls to the Rets and Exorcists and cover to the Exos.

Uriah Jacobus
3 Priests (Litanies)

BSS (20) with HF/Melta

Dominions (5) with 4 Melta in TL-MM (Laud)
Dominions (6) with 4 Melta, Sim Imp in Repressor

Exorcist
Exorcist
Retributors (6) with 4 HB and Sim Imp
Bastion with Ammo Dump, 2 Barricades, Icarus

I still feel like you could try and sneak the formation in, but yeah, having to buy a minimum of five Russes is a pretty huge investment.

Since you only have one detachment here, why not bring in an Inquisitor? Rad and/or Psychotroke Grenades plus a Liber Heresius would make Team Girl Squad a lot more threatening.

I vaguely feel like one of the Dominion units should be carrying Flamers, but I don't know if that's correct. I guess it depends on how much of what you expect to see.

A Bastion can't take both the Icarus and an Ammo Dump- you only get one item off of the Battlements/Battlefield chart. I do like the idea of giving the Exorcists the rerolls, so I would go with that over the Icarus; if you have to face an airplane, you're probably just looking for 6s and praying. Ammo Stores for the Rets on the inside would also be hugely helpful, and finding points for a Void Shield wouldn't be bad either- that makes it extra-difficult to hurt the Bastion.

I'm still not sure I understand why you need three Priests + Jacobus in Team Girl Squad. Meltabombs on the Superior seems like an obvious thing to grab, you really don't wanna be locked in combat with a walker indefinitely.

I still feel like you could try and sneak the formation in, but yeah, having to buy a minimum of five Russes is a pretty huge investment.

Since you only have one detachment here, why not bring in an Inquisitor? Rad and/or Psychotroke Grenades plus a Liber Heresius would make Team Girl Squad a lot more threatening.

I vaguely feel like one of the Dominion units should be carrying Flamers, but I don't know if that's correct. I guess it depends on how much of what you expect to see.

A Bastion can't take both the Icarus and an Ammo Dump- you only get one item off of the Battlements/Battlefield chart. I do like the idea of giving the Exorcists the rerolls, so I would go with that over the Icarus; if you have to face an airplane, you're probably just looking for 6s and praying. Ammo Stores for the Rets on the inside would also be hugely helpful, and finding points for a Void Shield wouldn't be bad either- that makes it extra-difficult to hurt the Bastion.

I'm still not sure I understand why you need three Priests + Jacobus in Team Girl Squad. Meltabombs on the Superior seems like an obvious thing to grab, you really don't wanna be locked in combat with a walker indefinitely.

I have definitely run Inq and grenades before. So I may do that again. With all the repressors, the flamers aren't as useful. Especially now that Doms have Ignore Cover and not TL.

Good call on the Bastion. I'll take a look at the other options.

Three priests and Jacobus is like this. One for Reroll Wounds, One for Reroll Saves, One for Smash and Jacobus (goes either way). With Smash, you can go to S8 AP2, which helps with Walkers. It also helps when you lose a priest to a barrage or someother horse crap. :)

I'll keep plugging away at lists. Another thought I've gone with is a Coteaz/Inq/2 plasma can hench squads in the Bastion. Ammo dump helps with get hot, right?

Yeah, it does- I've used that trick myself. 3 Servitors with Plasma Cannons and 3 Acolytes with Plasmaguns is a big deterrent for people to stay away from your fort. I'm not sure if it's better than the Rets, though- five or six Rending HBs is nothing to sneeze at.

One S8 AP2 attack, rerolling pens, isn't awful, but I wouldn't call it terribly reliable against most walkers, either. Smash is pretty easily the worst of the three options for Hymns and it feels like you're paying a lot of points for redundancy there- I can understand running more than just one because yeah, barrage sniping is a thing, but four in a single squad seems excessive.

Yeah, Smash used to be a lot better before it was one attackl. I may play with going down a couple. I was running 2 squads of Hench, one on top and one inside. Not being able to cast spells inside sucks now though. Ignore cover was hilarious with plasma servitors.

Uriah Jacobus
2 Priests (Litanies)

BSS (20) with HF/Melta/MB

Dominions (5) with 4 Melta in TL-MM

Exorcist
Exorcist
Bastion with Ammo Dump, 2 Barricades, Void Shield

Coteaz
Xenos with Psychotroke, Liber (Counts-as Hereticus)
8 Henchmen with Plasma, 3 Plasma Cannons

I like this list. Coteaz goes with Henchmen on top of Bastion (unfortunately, they won't get benefit of Ammo Dump unless I build it REALLLY tall). He gets me seize protection and DS defense on the Bastion. Xenos goes with Blob (they lose faith, but oh well). 

Plus, super bonus, if I use the Xenos I can use these models (Chainsword with underslung Psychodispenser, BP in holster and holding the Liber and his acolyte)

Imperial_Church_Redemptionist_Zealot_Red

(Not my paint job, mine is bare right now)

The other bonus is that I think I have the entire thing painted except for a Ammo Dump and Void Shield generator. Should the VSG be external? I was thinking using the comm relay bits or scratch building something. For the ammo dump, I'm just going to pile a 60mm base with ammo crates, barrels, etc.

You know, going back to the Smash topic. I used to rely on that to do a lot of damage with my priests. I may have to find the points for some Power Axes now that I have almost no offensive power in that blob.

edit: Oh wait, smash still gives you ap2; axes not required. That's good. So Jacobus can get the smash hymn and gets a ton of S3 AP2 attacks. may want to add the third priest in though, because each one gives 3 S3 attacks (4 on the charge) with AP2 if I use their Hymn. Hmmm. That's why I had priests and maces. S5 Ap2 3 attacks a piece or (nowadays)1 S8 attack AP2. It keeps the unit from being a tarpit and turns it into a devouring tarpit.

Also, sorry, you might've already realized this, but it is a minimum 7 Leman Russes.  The HQ Russ option REQUIRES the tank commander to come with a buddy.  

Actually, 5 LR and one Hydra minimum.

Tank Commander and 1-2 Buddies

LR Squad 1: 1-3 LR

LR Squad 2: 1-3 LR

LR Squad 3: 1-3 LR

Hydra

May do something like this to get the CC punch in there.

Uriah Jacobus
3 Priests (Litanies, Power Maul)

Dominions (6) with 4 2 Melta, 2 Flamer (or just 3 Melta, hmm), Sim Imp in Repressor

Exorcist
Exorcist
Bastion with Ammo Dump, 2 Barricades, Void Shield

Coteaz
Xenos with Psychotroke, Liber (Counts-as Hereticus)

Uriah Jacobus
3 Priests (Litanies)

Dominions (5) with 3 Melta, Sim Imp in Repressor

Exorcist
Exorcist
Bastion with Ammo Dump, Void Shield

Coteaz
Xenos with Psychotroke, Liber, Rad, Servoskull

1850 on the nose.

Just to check- you know that you can only have three Plasmaguns amongst the eight Acolytes, yes? Also, remember that Ammo Dump and Ammo Stores are different upgrades, although depending on where you position the Ammo Dump the guys inside might be able to benefit from it.

Who is Coteaz intended to hang out with?