Firestorm Campaign: Terra or Bust!

Theredepic

Hey All,

I was tinkering around with an idea i had for playing Firestorm as a campaign over a series of weeks, either using a points system as is being currently used for Spartan, or on a map that i could paint up (I'm a fantasy cartographer by profession). I wasn't sure how much interest there would be in such a campaign, but i thought it would be fun to mull over with everyone.

Main Idea:

For a map (My preference of course) it would be cool to run it a bit like a FoW campaign. I could map out the Storm Zone, and dice it into territories connected by Waygates or some such thing for capture. Certain territories would have an abundance of certain Terrain types, or possibly limit certain capabilities (No Shunt Arrival, more or less Ambush tokens, Limited Shields or Cloaking etc.)

Players would roll off against one another and whoever wins may choose what territory to attack. Each week could have an Initiative bonus based on the Fluff. (First Week- Zenian League Attack Initiative+2, Second Week, +1, Third Week- Even, Fourth Week- Alliance of Kurak +1, etc.).

Optional Stuff:

An overall commander could be chosen for each side. Might be neat though since each side could receive reinforcement tokens as a point bonus for a single match. This might get outta hand unless the points were small, like 100, 150, 200pts.

Anyways, just figured i'd throw it out there for discussion!

• Like 1

Remember that most of us are still learning, so lots of additional rules could be trouble. As is, my 3 games still haven't used the moving terrain or TAC card rules.

So, for an event, I'd suggest something like this:

Goal of the event, eliminate other players while not being eliminated. Players start the event at 0 ranks. Each loss is -1 to their rank. Each victory is +1. -4 ranks eliminates a player. Your point level for each battle is based on your rank, with lower scores increasing the total number of points. Obviously, an event like this may never end, given that players doing the worst have the most advantage. On the other hand, it balances well between good players and bad players, making for more enjoyable match-ups.

So, I'd suggest a 0 rank player has 1000pts of army (battle level). Each positive number in their score reduces their point value by 100pts. Each negative number in their rank increases their points by 100pts also. 

Rank/points

-4/eliminated

-3/1300pts (Grand)

-2/1200pts (Battle)

-1/1100pts (Battle)

0/1000pts (Battle)

1/900pts (Battle)

2/800pts (Patrol)

and so forth....

This means that actual elimination of a player will be very difficult and players that consistently win will find each match-up harder and harder. The fluff logic is that more wins means a more spread out empire, resulting in less ability to police each sector of space.

This also means that a player could technically be eliminated by winning too much. This is very unlikely, as it means at least 10 wins in a row, while having less points each mission. I suppose if a player is eliminated in this manner, I'd have to build a trophy of some sort.

PS: I did derail a bit. I'd love you to make terrain and such. More specific fluff would be awesome.

I'd just like a more balanced and fun event, where players grinding eachother into the dirt wasn't consistent for some players over and over again. I want to have fun while learning the rules. I also like the idea of a challenge via having to fight a larger fleet with my smaller fleet if I do well.

I would be interested in some sort of campaign. I would like to suggest making it a slow-grow league. Keep point values low at first (perhaps even under patrol box level) and work up to a decent sized fleet. With this being so new to so many people, it seems that keeping things simple, and working up as a learning system would do the most good. Plus that may entice more people to try it out.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

That's a pretty nice set of campaign rules, though a bit more in depth than i had imagined! I was thinking a bit more casual, and more accessible for noobs. Slow grow sounds good to me, though i think players could agree to play larger point games if they wish (who doesn't like to bring out the toys!).