Tau air power

Lord Hanaur

Had a great time employing a Bomber and a Fighter this evening  They killed a tank a round and oddly I never got to drop my bombs because I had too many IG tanks to kill.  But still, it was pretty fun.

The bomber has a lot of firepower to it, and the Fighter, depending on what you're using it for is pretty multi-dimensional.  I didn't lose either aircraft, though I was forced to Jink of course  an fly one of them (the Fighter) off the board for a round. 

But all in all a successful outing.  Whatever they hit, they killed.

• Like 1

The bomber has always been an MVP for me....well more specifically its two interceptor drones.

yup they did work.  Not the most accurate little guys in the world, but twin linked and dangerous.  All in all it was cool.  If you suspect you'll be forced toi jink and wing off the board, you can drop the drones off and if not, keep em on board.

ell the Bomber can fire at three targets per round which is pretty cool.  It can drop its bomb as it flies over you, then fire off its missiles to pop open a can.  Meanwhile its occupant Drones can fire at a unit also, probably an enemy flyer.  This alons is a very interesting feature.

The Bomb is STR 5 AP 5 like so much of the Tau arsenal but it also is rechargable, unlike other bombs.  Perfect for when you Popped a can the previous turn and now its time to do some damage.  It's Drones can fire in two modes so if your Drone isn't killing tanks, it can instead drop blast templates.

The Fighters Quad Ion Cannon fires off a blast like an IonHead does, only with AP 4 and it's a turret, as is the rest of the weapons these things have.  The fact that they are means the Tau flyers can fire behind them, allowing them to take up FAR better defensive positions before they fire than most flyers who are forced to face their target which clamps down on a fyers ability to position.  It's basically a flying Ionhead tank in its armaments if not for that AP 4.  

The AP 4 doesn't mean a thing when it comes to blasting at vehicles and most squishy infantry.   It is less ideal for killing off hardened Marines, but it still does damage given its missiles because the shots are very high strength and bike armies as i discovered in this last game can laugh a lot of shot off with their toughness.

It was definitely fun.

Made some modifications to the list so that I can sort of make it more my own list. 

In highlander format, you DO start kind of casting about for how to put the points to use a little more at 1850.  But with this modification, I should be able to use the list in or out of Highlander effectively.  It's definitely a departure from the way I normally build them, but I think this version will be be a bit better.

Tau Empire Roster - 1847 Highlander

Heavy Support: XV88 Broadside Team (6#, 259 pts)
      1 Broadside Shas'vre, + Velocity Tracker
      1 Broadside Shas'ui, + Early Warning Override 5
         1 Shield Drone,
      1 Broadside Shas'ui, + Early Warning Override 5
         1 Shield Drone,

Troops: Fire Warrior Team (7#, 144 pts)
      6 Fire Warriors,
      1 Devilfish, + Twin Linked Smart Missile System

Troops: Kroot Carnivore Squad (11#, 65 pts)
      10 Kroot,
      1 Kroot Hounds

Elite: XV104 Riptide (1#, 225 pts)
   1 XV104 Riptide, + Ion Accelerator + Stimulant Injector + Early Warning Override

Elite: Stealth Team (6#, 192 pts)
      1 Stealth Shas'vre, + Fusion Blaster + Advanced Targeting System
         1 Shield Drone,
      1 Stealth Shas'ui, + Advanced Targeting System

Elite: XV8 Crisis Team (4#, 178 pts)
      1 Crisis Shas'ui, Fusion Blaster x1 + Plasma Rifle x1 + Target Lock
         1 Shield Drone,
      1 Crisis Shas'ui, Fusion Blaster x1 + Plasma Rifle x1 + Target Lock
      1 Crisis Shas'ui, Fusion Blaster x1 + Plasma Rifle x1

HQ: Commander (3#, 182 pts)
   1 Commander, +Vectored Retro-Thrusters + Drone Controller + Stimulant Injector + Command and Control Node + XV8-02 Crisis 'Iridium' Battlesuit + Onager Gauntlet
      2 Marker Drone,

HQ: Commander Shadowsun (4#, 195 pts)
   1 Commander Shadowsun, + Command-link Drone + Shield Drone+ Shield Drone

Fast Attack: Drone Squadron (4#, 56 pts)
      4 Marker Drones,

Fast Attack: Sun Shark Bomber (3#, 183 pts)
   1 Sun Shark Bomber, + Twin Linked Missile Pod +Disruption Pod+ Decoy Launchers

Fast Attack: Razorshark Strike Fighter (1#, 168 pts)
   1 Razorshark Strike Fighter, + Missile Pod + Disruption Pod + Decoy Launchers

Excellent game. I was really pleased with the fighter and the Bombers performance. They were able to down the Storm Raven and contribute significant wounds to the Assault Squads and Death Company. I think I might have been a little overzealous on my movement of the Bomber in turn 2, so there's that to improve upon.

The game was tightly contested because although the Blood Angels got drawn into the opposite corner by the Riptide, Broadsides and Marker Drones, they always had the speed needed to eventually get to the Tau objective by games end. So the question became would they be able to do it and still stop my other reserves from contesting it, with my outflanked Kroot sitting lazily way over yonder on yon Blood Angels objective ?

The battle was furious at the end of turn 5. The devilfish had backed away from it in turn four to exactly 15 inches, to give Dante and his men a wide birth as they finally took the Objective on turn 5. The hapless Crisis team and the Stealthteams rallied near the devilfish to dissuade pursuit. Then on bottom of turn 5, the Devilfish tank shocked the interposing Priest who I would just like to say was ABSOLUTELY the hero of the peoples. That not less than 15 Space Marines laid down their LIVES to protect him and keep him safe for this, his moment of true Death or Glory. Stopping that Devilfish dead in its tracks would be huge. He swung his fist back, but misjudged the speed of the craft and was ground into hamburger in its motivators. Dante was spattered with his gore. At this stage the game was now 7-1. COULD Dante rally his men? 

Another turn! Oh dear. As one they moved to attack the Crisis Team and tied it up despite losing all but one soldier on the charge. It was enough. Then the Death Company that hadn't been blasted by the Razorshark Fighter broke the Devilfish in half with their bear hands spilling the Firewarriors out and forcing them to run for their lves from the burning wreckage and their detractors.

It looked as if the Blood Angels had reasserted control and the score was now 4-4. But the Tau were invested and wanted Dante's Geneseed off the planet so while the Crisis team fumbled around with the lone Marine Frank, the Fire Warriors regrouped, reasserting control of the objective. Meanwhile the Stealthsuits attempted to assassinate Dante who bravely rushed away from the objective to pursue Shadowsun. Nearly dead, you wouldnt know it by the sneer on Dant'es face. the only thing troubling him right now was a long charge to get to Shadowsun and empliment the Emperors Will upon her xeno ass and end this. It was a long shot but maybe he could do it. He revved up his Jump pack but with all the work he'd been doing, it simply didn;'t have the feuel left. Armadas that could span galaxies but yet no way to span a hundred yards in time, he mused bitterly. 

The Tau Air planees roared above, spitting death down on the clustered Marines in that ruin which carried the all important prize. but in the end the Fire Warriors were the difference, as they had regrouped to Secure The Tau objective marker while the Kroot lounged and did little or nothing while sitting upon the Blood angel objective. Final core was 7-1. If it had gone on another turn I think it would have ended as a 5-4 win because he could kill the Fire Warriors easily on his turn and that would leave a Crisis team to desperately attempt to get free and jump the objective to nullify those threee points. Noe of it mattered anyways since the Stealth suits were set to get their Line Breaker, which would put a tie out of reach unless the Bloog Angels could kill Shadowsun who ws with the Stealthsuits.

Good game.

So the ending was very eventful and urgent. Good ending I thought

I know this thread is a little old at this point, but I've been off the forums for quite some time and just came back around.  I've been looking into the sunshark bomber myself and there's one thing I feel I should point out, good sir, just in case you overlooked it or someone else reads this thread and gets the wrong idea.  While the drones can do good work, you mention that the bomber gets to shoot at three separate things.  Bomb one target, shoot another, and have the occupant drones shoot a third.  That only works if you have disengaged the drones from the bomber into their own unit.  If they are still embarked upon the flyer the rules for Attached Drones state "unlike other models shooting form Fire Points, attached drones must shoot at the same target as the vehicle they are attached to" (Tau Codex pg. 33).

It's not that old really.  It's ongoing as i play more games with it.

The Bomber is absolutely excellent.  Thus far the middle of the road bomb itself is highly accurate and of course though STR 5, it IS STR 5 so you can hit 6 or 7 dudes wounding on 3's.  That just doesn't suck.  So i am pretty pleased with it.  It particularly sparkled against melee based forces where the units tend to clump more often for me.  Of coure killing enemy anti-air ability is the priority because once you own the skies, you're in good shape.

Another win for the Tau Empire, this time against Sisters of Battle who mounted an Aegis gun.  they eventually forced my fighter into the ground with an Aegis Gun immobilized Result.  But they (my airplanes) overall were effective.  Squishy Tough 3 Sisters didnt like it much.  popped some transports, and whittled some retributors.

I killed 10 units in all.  he killed 5 (Fighter. Broadsides, Kroot, Fire Warriors and Devilfish).  He got First Blood and we both got Line Breaker.  It was a Kill Point Mission.

So final score was 11-6.