for funzies: scatter laser ratio

intrizic

For the NEW Eldar codex, the one to be released 4-25-2015:

I will admit with my fiery temper I'm not the best to lead this discussion.  I'll start it, and I hope it finds traction with some of the cooler heads on ordo.

my question is this: how many scatter lasers, Str 6 ap 5 (?) hvy 4 range 36", are reasonable in a unit of jetbikes?

Keep in mind there is NO correct answer, just a bunch of opinions, but let us endeavor, as a community, to find a norm.

In my experience with the CURRENT version of the jetbike, it's generally a min max unit, 3 bikes, 1 shuirken cannon, objective grabber

I have only seen 1 unit of 10 jetbikes and that was a Mommaz boyz, who also had shining spears and did well

I think the closet equivalent, and I'm going to get the details wrong, are WarWalkers, who can get 6 scatter lasers to the unit, but I don't recall the cost.

at 270 points a unit, you can have 6 full units of jetbikes in a 1850 point list with change...

I feel that 5 is the edge of insanity, based on nothing at all... just my stinking opinion

• Like 1

Jetbikes can get Shuriken Cannons, not Scatter Lasers.  Warwalkers can have SLs.  SCs are nowhere as nice as SLs in my book based off special rule bonus.

you are correct for the current Eldar codex my friend.  I didn't want to derail the leaks thread so I started a new thread to talk about the fact that in the NEW eldar codex jetbikes will be allowed to take scatter lasers.  I didn't state that very well, I will correct it

• Like 1

you are correct for the current Eldar codex my friend.  I didn't want to derail the leaks thread so I started a new thread to talk about the fact that in the NEW eldar codex jetbikes will be allowed to take scatter lasers.  I didn't state that very well, I will correct it

Yet another reason that land raiders are awesome...

Yet another reason that land raiders are awesome...

Misfortune.

You pretty much have to take a Farseer for a bike army.

Let's see, each Scatter Laser:

3/4 Hit. 1/6 Rend. 1/3 Glance. 1/3 Pen. So that's 1/12 Results. So it takes what... 48 Shots to kill a land raider with Misfortune. Bah, more than one squad. Throw guide on there. That's what... 15/16 hit, 1/6 rend. 2/3 results. 30/288. Or just about 40 shots. Hey, that's just one squad.

And that assumes no Ranged D. No lances. No Haywire in the other 800 points of your army.

Yea it seems they will be pretty strong. You get the psudo-rending if you take the SCs in stead of SLs. But all SLs with a farseer to misfortune stuff will be gross. An extra shot, longer range, and rending for real. How are those guys still 17 bolt pistols base? With their movement and todays emphasis on obsec objective grabbers you would think they would have seen a hike just for being the best obsec unit in the game.

Misfortune.

You pretty much have to take a Farseer for a bike army.

Let's see, each Scatter Laser:

3/4 Hit. 1/6 Rend. 1/3 Glance. 1/3 Pen. So that's 1/12 Results. So it takes what... 48 Shots to kill a land raider with Misfortune. Bah, more than one squad. Throw guide on there. That's what... 15/16 hit, 1/6 rend. 2/3 results. 30/288. Or just about 40 shots. Hey, that's just one squad.

And that assumes no Ranged D. No lances. No Haywire in the other 800 points of your army.

Wait. Since when do scatter lasers rend?

Nevermind, found it. Still doesn't really change much. If you intend to dedicate 270pts, plus 2 powers from a psyker to take down my 250pt vehicle, that's really not such a big deal.

This all assumes that I lack a save for my land raider and I am not using a psychic hood to protect it.

Nevermind, found it. Still doesn't really change much. If you intend to dedicate 270pts, plus 2 powers from a psyker to take down my 250pt vehicle, that's really not such a big deal.

This all assumes that I lack a save for my land raider and I am not using a psychic hood to protect it.

This is assuming there are no lances, D weapons or anything else in the other 800 points of the army. 

Land Raiders aren't going to save you.

• Like 1