for funzies: scatter laser ratio

intrizic

Anyway, if your going to start lifting non-GW imposed list restrictions, armies like this start becomming legal:

AM 1850

CAD1

Lord Commissar

2x vets

Bane Hammer

CAD2

Lord Commissar

2x vets

Bane Hammer

CAD3

Company Command Squad

2x vets

Storm Lord

Total 1850. By no means a broken list, but all the same, completely banned at almost every event. Easily less broken than an Imperial Knight army of 4-5 knights.

Basically, look at every other base troop in the game. What do they have for heavy/special weapon ratios? (You can largely consider SL as heavy since it is heavy and SC as special since it is assault).

Best is generally around 1 in 5 (Most marines) or 2 in 5 (SOB, etc). 

1 in 2 is crazy town. 1 in 1 is omgwtfbbq town.

Only one of the lists we had was outside of that. 

And three super heavies are going to down pretty quick to a lot of D. :)

Not with the Vaul support batteries. You can't move and fire artillery, so we can sit back and enjoy at least few turns before you are in range.

Meanwhile, Doom Hammers have 60" range with 7" battle cannons, and the Stormlord has 30 S6 ap3 shots at 60" of range and against up to two different targets.

I can also get 2-3 thunderblitz in there...

Not with the Vaul support batteries. You can't move and fire artillery, so we can sit back and enjoy at least few turns before you are in range.

Meanwhile, Doom Hammers have 60" range with 7" battle cannons, and the Stormlord has 30 S6 ap3 shots at 60" of range and against up to two different targets.

I can also get 2-3 thunderblitz in there...

My list also had a Wraithknight. While, I'm sure those S6 AP3 shots are cute and all. What? 20 Hits, 2-3 Wounds on a Wraithknight before saves and FNP, so maybe one wound per turn. The D on the Wraithcannons will probably have something to say. :)

And now that I know Vauls are 24", I might just swap for some Firedragons in a WS for hard targets.

My list also had a Wraithknight. While, I'm sure those S6 AP3 shots are cute and all. What? 20 Hits, 2-3 Wounds on a Wraithknight before saves and FNP, so maybe one wound per turn. The D on the Wraithcannons will probably have something to say. :)

And now that I know Vauls are 24", I might just swap for some Firedragons in a WS for hard targets.

Is the wraithknight still a MC? or is it gargantuan?

Gargantuan.

I think that a legit match-up will be Flyrants.

160 Shots only put 2-3 wounds out on a flying T6 target with a 3+.

Just wondering, where you found the rumor for gargantuan? I keep finding ones that call it a "colossal" creature, but can't find any that call it a gargantuan.

Anyway, WraithKnight D ranged weapons remains an issue. It does mean that wraithknight would have to be fielded without the invulnerable save option, so they really don't become too unbalanced.

I am curious if the new changes will level the field enough to allow armies access to the various TO-imposed restricted units and rules.

Like the Stormhammer, in example. Does it really seem so broken with the same points producing two ranged D gargantuan creatures?

Allegedly Gargantuan.

I think that a legit match-up will be Flyrants.

160 Shots only put 3-4 wounds out on a flying T6 target with a 3+.

Not sure even Flyrants would be legit. You mentioned the size 40 jetbikes would take up, that works against the Flyrants pretty well. If Eldar goes first, they can definitely create some havoc with positioning and board control. Not to mention obsec. Just force the flyrant off the board, and prevent them from getting any objectives. Should be pretty easy.

Flyers/FMCs are definitely the way to go to give the bikes and D weapons the best competition, but honestly... why not take a little AA with the other points?

Also... skyfire nexus, lawl. That's still a thing in 7th right?

Not sure even Flyrants would be legit. You mentioned the size 40 jetbikes would take up, that works against the Flyrants pretty well. If Eldar goes first, they can definitely create some havoc with positioning and board control. Not to mention obsec. Just force the flyrant off the board, and prevent them from getting any objectives. Should be pretty easy.

Flyers/FMCs are definitely the way to go to give the bikes and D weapons the best competition, but honestly... why not take a little AA with the other points?

Also... skyfire nexus, lawl. That's still a thing in 7th right?

It is, although no one uses it.

I'm trying to remain positive, but the view from my perspective is really dire.  

Oh come now, it's eldar....Even if GW makes them amazing, we'll still have most players fielding marines....

So, as far as the OP is concerned.  Even the old 1 in 3 ratio when using scatter lasers is still way too good almost exlusively because the 36" range and 1 extra shot over the shuricannon.  Sure you lose bladestorm and AP4, but big whoop.  I also love the freaking INSANE idea that a scatter laser (or a shuricannon for that matter) are worth 10 pts and a Heavy Bolter or combi-flamer are worth the same?  Let's not even get into the PLATFORM they are on.  

The more I think about this, the more depressed I get.

Xx6035f.gif

And losing to the eldar players. :)

Also, with the rate of codex release, only the players with current eldar armies will benefit. GW will have a hard counter out before the "new" eldar players get their armies painted.