40k Comp system

Your opponent decides. Even if you take a "soft" list but your opponent doesn't like it you could get a zero.

That sure does sound like fun. I love arbitrary popularity contest treadmilling and backbiting, it's what makes high school such a delightful time! Tell me, is there also a way that we can add a system to tournaments that encourages cliques and social ostracization as well? Perhaps some sort of official policy to call up attendees and shame them in front of everyone present? I really think it would encourage the growth of the hobby if we were a bit more petty and self-destructive in our habits.

• Like 4

That sure does sound like fun. I love arbitrary popularity contest treadmilling and backbiting, it's what makes high school such a delightful time! Tell me, is there also a way that we can add a system to tournaments that encourages cliques and social ostracization as well? Perhaps some sort of official policy to call up attendees and shame them in front of everyone present? I really think it would encourage the growth of the hobby if we were a bit more petty and self-destructive in our habits.

We already have sportsmanship and I openly score my opponent so they know what I thought of the game. I know you Portland people are sensitive but a comp score by your opponent is the best. The passive aggressive PNW this may cause hurt feelings but if you take a jerkbutt list. Your opponent should be able to mark you down.

The facts are player scored comp helps balance a unbalanced game. When was the last event that had no rules on other than points limit on what you can bring? There are no or very few unbound or limitless detachment events. Opponent scored comp is a poll on what you brought

I'm south of I90, Greg, am I in Portland?*

Skkipper, I know you, you're cool to play against, but...really?  I've played in lots of tournaments with player scored comp and it's always a disaster or else pointless. 

Do I need to regale us all with stories of GTs past when teams of players would come and chipmunk other player's scores (ie give them 0s for literally no reason) so that the top dog of the team would be in better standing to win it all?  Kind of like having racing teammates draft for you...  It was idiotic and muddled results, and even at the apex of comp scoring in GTs I still saw plenty of crazy stuff (and brought it myself!). 

*that's a reference to Meet the Parents...

• Like 4

We already have sportsmanship and I openly score my opponent so they know what I thought of the game.

I'm not a big fan of sportsmanship scores done in that way, either, for exactly the same reasons. It encourages chipmunking and wheedling and isn't really a very good measure of actual sportsmanship. Favorite Opponent votes/awards (as TSHFT, Harvester/Storm, and other tournaments do) and sports penalties (as LVO/BAO and TSHFT do) are much better ways of encouraging good behavior.

Comp is not the same as sportsmanship.

Is he south of i-90 close enough

Pfft, you Canadians are all the same, don't know anything about geography.

When was the last event that had no rules on other than points limit on what you can bring? There are no or very few unbound or limitless detachment events. Opponent scored comp is a poll on what you brought

Well, I played in a 6E event like that, but that's a whole other story.

I don't want a poll on what I brought. I brought the list that I wanted to play, not the list that a representative sampling of Warhammer 40K players decided I should play.

• Like 2

No I bring what is fun for me. Hell I finished last at tsfht in January as I brought khorne walkers.

Fluger I am good friends with solid gt players and they never chipmunked scores. These are the guys from Toledo. Some players probably did but not the good players

The facts are player scored comp helps balance a unbalanced game. When was the last event that had no rules on other than points limit on what you can bring? There are no or very few unbound or limitless detachment events. Opponent scored comp is a poll on what you brought

I think you're confusing fact with your opinion.