Tycho? (BA)

Am I missing something on this guy? No melee weapons, just a single combi-bolter.

Anyone run him (Either version)? Is he viable? How do you use him to make him work?

No, you're not missing anything, he's just terrible. Wargear that drives up his price, but doesn't actually make him a Combat Character, no general buffs for the Army or his Unit, nothing. He's not even a cheap option to fill a required slot.

How disappointing.

Thanks for the help.

Eventually he hit that point, yeah, but he was supposed to be a rage-driven badass for a while, too. And I'm not asking for much more to lift him from "terrible" to "usable in fluffy lists". A power sword. Or him giving some benefit to his Unit or Army. Even just sharing around his Hatred (Orks) would at least give him some situational use for narrative play.

I will note that he's BS5 with an 18" master crafted meltagun (9" melta range), even if only one shot, that's a pretty reliable hit. Depending on your target, you might get his points back there.

I do agree with the above, but I thought I'd mention it as it doesn't seem to be noted already.

I will note that he's BS5 with an 18" master crafted meltagun (9" melta range), even if only one shot, that's a pretty reliable hit. Depending on your target, you might get his points back there.

I do agree with the above, but I thought I'd mention it as it doesn't seem to be noted already.

With a Combi-Melta! For killing Orks!

His bolter variant is ap4, so against orks, he is denying 'eavy armor, for what little that's worth. DC version is relentless.

And, sake of argument, most orks have shoddy saves anyway. I:5, WS6, 4/6 swings on the charge (normal/DC), re-rolling hits, S5, re-rolling 1 wound. That's a few wounds on most orks. His fixed warlord trait also gives him rampage (both versions).

I hate to defend him, but I do think he'd be adequate for pestering orks, especially while attached to sternguard or death company. Certainly not amazing, but adequate.

Though, with most games not being against orks, I think you are paying 130-ish points for that single combi-melta shot. Nothing else in his profile worth noting.

Sure, he can kick a few Orks' teeth in pretty easily; then they'll drown him in saves and he'll die. Or he'll fight an actual character with a Power Klaw and he'll die.

And yeah, 130pts for a Combi-Melta is awful. You might get him in range and manage to pop a tank with it, if you're lucky, but for a handful of points more you can get a squad with a Drop Pod and two Melta weapons which will be more reliable than him, more likely to kill, more useful in a general sense, and tougher to boot.

Or, since this is BA we're talking about, you can take an Assault Squad with a Gunslinger Sarge for 4 Meltas in a Pod for only 5 more Points.

Completely true.

Though that assault squad has 3" melta range, which certainly limits your drop spaces.

But, yes, I also dislike this guy's rules.

With the 6" Disembark, if you start the pod 1" away from your target, you're good on anything less than an 8" scatter directly away. It is a bit easier to bubblewrap against, but even in all but the worst case scenario (12" Scatter, directly away), you're putting 2 Meltas in double dice and 2 in single dice range on target, for only 5 Points more than Tycho with no delivery.

With the 6" Disembark, if you start the pod 1" away from your target, you're good on anything less than an 8" scatter directly away. It is a bit easier to bubblewrap against, but even in all but the worst case scenario (12" Scatter, directly away), you're putting 2 Meltas in double dice and 2 in single dice range on target, for only 5 Points more than Tycho with no delivery.

I'm really not arguing this one.

I feel a little slow but please explain to me what a gunslinger sarg is? I figure he has two melta pistols but I am unsure.

That would be it, because in 7th, having two pistols means you can shoot twice.