New Tau - Giant Fethin' Riptide with Missiles, New FireW and Stealth Riptide

pretre

There's very little reason to keep banning them at this point, but for some reason tournaments do it anyways.

It actually isn't- like the Aquila Strongpoint and Fortress of Redemption, it is a single fortification consisting of multiple linked parts. Note that its Options section allows you to add sections, as opposed to the fortification network wordings which say that you can "take 1-X of this or that fortification."

I agree there is no reason to ban it. It is like the networks, not the aquila and fort of red which are forts.

How is it different from, say, the Fortress of Redemption? Neither of them are labeled as fortification networks. Both of them consist of multiple parts (buildings in the FoR's case and battlefield debris in the Tidewall's case.) Both of them have the option to add additional pieces of battlefield debris (gun emplacements, etc.) Both of them are required to be placed in contiguous arrangements that cannot change (as opposed to networks, which are not required to do so.) Neither of them use the "1-X" wording that is common to all networks.

How is it different from, say, the Fortress of Redemption? Neither of them are labeled as fortification networks. Both of them consist of multiple parts (buildings in the FoR's case and battlefield debris in the Tidewall's case.) Both of them have the option to add additional pieces of battlefield debris (gun emplacements, etc.) Both of them are required to be placed in contiguous arrangements that cannot change (as opposed to networks, which are not required to do so.) Neither of them use the "1-X" wording that is common to all networks.

I'll wait to see how it is presented in codex.

My understanding was that the Tidewall wasn't in the codex- it had rules in its own box, and if GW follows their usual pattern they will eventually be available as a PDF on their site, but it's not in the actual codex itself. I could be wrong there, though.

Okay, same answer but wherever the rules land.

TidewallCounterstrikeENG_Slot3.jpg

This awesome bundle contains a huge collection of Tau Empire power! You’ll receive a Pathfinder Team, a Strike Team. two Breacher Teams - forty warriors in total, with seven drones and two DS8 support turrets - two Tidewall Gunrigs, two Tidewall Shieldlines and a Tidewall Droneports! This imposing mobile defence line comes complete with exclusive rules*, and is limited to a mere 100!

$465

http://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Tidewall-Counterstrike-Cadre

• Like 1

For those who havent caught on, this allows you to field all the Tidewall Formations, if you bought the Rampart.  Its also currently the only way to get the missing pieces the Rampart doesnt come with.  Clever GW.  Clever.

The Tidewall Rampart doesnt come with enough to field them.  So lame!

So, having read through the new supplement a couple times now, I don't think I'm overly impressed.  I mean, it's a fine addition to the Tau, but nothing game changing.  I don't think it's going to improve Tau's overall competitiveness.  Their answer to everything remains "shoot and shoot again."  They continue to lack any psychic defense, any close combat counter, and any real answer to deathstars.  I like how the breacher teams revive the potential for a fish of fury tactic, but the devilfish remains criminally over-costed for a transport, so that's not a terribly realistic option.  I'm disappointed that the Hunter decurion-style build doesn't include any options for the new fortifications, that would have been neat, and allowed a more viable gun line.  The desire for MSU to maximize the 3 units shooting at one thing boost, is contrasted by the desire for bigger non MSU units to get the +1 BS for units of 3 or more, creating an internal tension in the codex that I suspect is a product of rushed design.

Anyway, while I see it as a nice book, it certainly is not displacing Eldar, SM/DA Battle Companies, Thunderdome, Centstar, or War Convocation in my mind as the leaders of the pack.

So, having read through the new supplement a couple times now, I don't think I'm overly impressed.  I mean, it's a fine addition to the Tau, but nothing game changing.  I don't think it's going to improve Tau's overall competitiveness.  Their answer to everything remains "shoot and shoot again."  They continue to lack any psychic defense, any close combat counter, and any real answer to deathstars.

I think you're selling it a bit short- the Hunter Contingent's bonuses are actually pretty solid and includes several formations that are at the very least solid and possibly quite strong (Firebase, Optimized Stealth, Retaliation.) Depending on how tournaments rule the Coordinated Fire rule to work exactly it has the potential to be an excellent solution to deathstars and the Stormsurge can solve two of their other potential problem units (Wraithknights, Centurions) pretty effectively. Tau obviously have no psychic defense or meaningful melee prowess, but that's what allies are for- and Tau have access to several very good ally armies.

Is it going to dethrone the current top lists? Maybe not, but to be quite frank we haven't seen many lists "dethroned" for a while now; rather, mostly what's happening is we're seeing more and more proliferation of the types of lists that show at the top tables, which is a good thing. And Tau armies have been ranking reasonably (if not exceptionally) well even with their old book- I think the new one will give them a shot in the arm.

I would've really liked to see Devilfish come down in price a lot as well, but c'est la vie. It got enough good stuff the first time around that I can't complain too hard.

• Like 1

HOVER TANKS FOR THE WIN!!!

http://www.robotechresearch.com/rpg/mecha/sc/vht_1_hovertank/vht_1_hovertank.htm

I feel like the new codex missed an opportunity for these Devilfish's to convert to their battloid mode.  Do you think anyone would complain if I brought one of these to the game and walked it around in Battloid mode?  I'd prbably want to load the sound effects and theme music on my phone and play it throughout the game as well... 

So, having read through the new supplement a couple times now, I don't think I'm overly impressed.  I mean, it's a fine addition to the Tau, but nothing game changing.  I don't think it's going to improve Tau's overall competitiveness.  Their answer to everything remains "shoot and shoot again."  They continue to lack any psychic defense, any close combat counter, and any real answer to deathstars.  I like how the breacher teams revive the potential for a fish of fury tactic, but the devilfish remains criminally over-costed for a transport, so that's not a terribly realistic option.  I'm disappointed that the Hunter decurion-style build doesn't include any options for the new fortifications, that would have been neat, and allowed a more viable gun line.  The desire for MSU to maximize the 3 units shooting at one thing boost, is contrasted by the desire for bigger non MSU units to get the +1 BS for units of 3 or more, creating an internal tension in the codex that I suspect is a product of rushed design.

Anyway, while I see it as a nice book, it certainly is not displacing Eldar, SM/DA Battle Companies, Thunderdome, Centstar, or War Convocation in my mind as the leaders of the pack.

Interesting, I feel like this book was a decent boost despite not touching a lot of units.

Psychic defense?  Unless you take a culexus you don't really have psychic defense that matters -- which is still an option for Tau if you really want it.   This seems like a non-issue to me (or at least the same issue every other army struggles with due to how blessings are handled) and fits their background (of all the races, Tau should be the least capable of dealing with psychers).

Close combat counter?  Shoot and shoot again works pretty well against meat and potato CC units in 6/7ed.  So well that it caused the influx of deathstars we see now for cc to even function.  Speaking of..

No real answer to deathstars?  The new book gives them even more umph against cover save based deathstars (buh bye Ravenwing, its like 6ed all over again).  Seems possible to even handle invis via careful use of the combine fire perk, but that is theory hammer on my part.  Ultimately those will probably still be an issue, but not necessarily a bad thing.  Overall that combine fire thing is their boost against deathstars and regardless of how it ends up being ruled still a big boost.

What they still have an issue with, and what you didn't mention surprisingly, is scoring objectives, especially the during game maelstrom kind of scoring.  Being able to get the most out of the new abilities ends up limiting the armies scoring, which is already anemic.  That would be the main reason why I'd hesitate to take Tau to an ITC event whether it was the old book or the new one.